Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Isnt lockout protection a signing bonus plus im not sure thats what they did with little. He will still lose over 4 million if they lock them out. More like team salary cap construction thinking they may have more space that year.

Cap hit is based off of AAV, not year to year salary

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Isnt lockout protection a signing bonus plus im not sure thats what they did with little. He will still lose over 4 million if they lock them out. More like team salary cap construction thinking they may have more space that year.

Only if the lockout lasts the entire year. He will lose a pro-rated amount based on how long it lasts. The protection would be better with a large SB but what his contract does is pay him more in years there won't be a lockout and less in years there could be. That means he won't lose as much as he would if he was paid the same every year but he would lose $$$

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Still think Trouba ends up with a mid range deal on the eve of next summer's arb hearing. Something like 5 X $7 M, with a big signing bonus and lockout protection. It makes Trouba very moveable but also gets the Jets some of his best years. Trouba then becomes a UFA in his late 20's and calls his shot. That's the compromise IMO.

I agree with your post here Bogo - I think this is very likely what will go down-"for many reasons" - not sure on lockout protection money tho?? Trouba will likely be gone to highest bidder, when he's an UFA.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with your post here Bogo - I think this is very likely what will go down-"for many reasons" - not sure on lockout protection money tho?? Trouba will likely be gone to highest bidder, when he's an UFA.

I was suggesting some lockout protection as it is a way to grease the wheels in a hard fought negotiation. If it helps get a deal done at a manageable AAV it might be worth it for the organization to guarantee the money a bit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Still think Trouba ends up with a mid range deal on the eve of next summer's arb hearing. Something like 5 X $7 M, with a big signing bonus and lockout protection. It makes Trouba very moveable but also gets the Jets some of his best years. Trouba then becomes a UFA in his late 20's and calls his shot. That's the compromise IMO.

I think it all comes down to what the real goal is. If Trouba's target is UFA then he will do arb twice and be gone. Maybe a substantial overpay would change his mind but I'm not recommending we do that.

If it is just that he wants to maximize his career earnings then maybe all it needs is a more modest overpay. His play will determine whether it is worth that or not.

The immediate problem would still be not knowing what Trouba wants. The recent hints suggest that maybe Chevy does know now but we don't know that for sure. If true then Chevy knows but we still don't. The whole thing is hard to assess without that information.

We also don't know what he might bring in trade. The spread of opinions is pretty wide. Whatever the market will bring I think we should move him if he is not going to sign long term.

Your 5 year suggestion is not ideal but might be a good compromise, if compromise is available. As you say, we would get a few of his best years. We would then still be able to trade him for a good return.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I am beyond caring if Trouba wants to stay. All I care about is that we get something good in exchange via trade when it becomes known that Chevy has to move him.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
As an outsider looking in, im very intrigued to see how this situation shakes out. Has Trouba Rescinded his Trade request?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am beyond caring if Trouba wants to stay. All I care about is that we get something good in exchange via trade when it becomes known that Chevy has to move him.
I am not. I think re-signing him should be the biggest priority for the Jets. I can't see us winning or even breaking even in a Trouba trade, if a team has a Trouba type d-man why would they give him up

Reactions: 10Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As an outsider looking in, im very intrigued to see how this situation shakes out. Has Trouba Rescinded his Trade request?

I am not sure what to think about this. At the
I am not. I think re-signing him should be the biggest priority for the Jets. I can't see us winning or even breaking even in a Trouba trade, if a team has a Trouba type d-man why would they give him up

The only way I see that happening is in a blockbuster type trade where there are multiple pieces going in both directions. If it comes to that it is much more likely not what Chevy has spelt out but who knows?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chevy has always said that Scheif and Trouba were the "building blocks" going forwards...he's going to sign him.....I say 6 x 7.75m.
I sure hope that salary cap goes up.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Chevy has always said that Scheif and Trouba were the "building blocks" going forwards...he's going to sign him.....I say 6 x 7.75m.
I have not seen a comparable that would value Trouba at 7.75 million per year. I would suggest a wide range between 4.75 - 6 million per year. He has gambled on himself by not signing early, so let's see what happens.

Reactions: Runforthecup

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Probably because the player has usually signed a long term deal by now...Trouba only has 2 years of RFA left so you are buying 4 years of UFA with a 6 year deal.
If Chevy sticks to 6m per, Trouba is gone.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Probably because the player has usually signed a long term deal by now...Trouba only has 2 years of RFA left so you are buying 4 years of UFA with a 6 year deal.
If Chevy sticks to 6m per, Trouba is gone.
In my opinion, Trouba is not worth 6.5 - 7.5 million per year. If the return is right, I would shed not one tear (and I have a Trouba jersey).

Reactions: Runforthecup

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Trouba's probably worth in the $ 7 mil range - lot of bucs. He probably thinks he's worth9- $ 10 mil, so if I was Chevy, I may look to trade him for a couple good pieces. With Poolman looking good as well as Myers, the dynamic of our defence is looking good. I don't see Trouba dominating the play so far, but he's a upper class defenceman, but I wouldn't let him hold the team ransom- he can go to New York, where all the overpaid players go.

I sure do like the way Myers is skating- very fast and fluid -and I hope his health stays good, and his game will get sharper. Plus he's a great team player !!!

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If you were to rate him on his "current" play he's overpaid now on a 6 - 8 year signing.

I agree with this, and he's certainly not lighting it up, or moving the needle. I'd play the waiting game if I was Chevy, and see what Trouba can do. I think he's over hyped, and likely may be lucky to get around $ 6 mil over 5yrs -we'll have to see.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We're going to ignore his play from last year, and judge him based on three games in the 2017-18 season?

I think many people are going to be surprised what he garners when he does finally sign a long term contract - he's arguably a #1D on many teams in the league, and a 1st pairing D on almost all teams.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
I had him around 5m before the hold out, then comparables started getting unrealistic $$$ and i knew we were ******. Chevy is likely still shopping him but if the right offer doesn't come in I think he might miss the 2018 training camp. But nothing will happen until he removes his head from his hind end. I used to be so high on him and thought he would be another Doughty watching him during his rookie year but he just hasn't seemed to progress and now he's is becoming a chippy player too that takes dumb (Buff Like) penalties.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
We're going to ignore his play from last year, and judge him based on three games in the 2017-18 season?

I think many people are going to be surprised what he garners when he does finally sign a long term contract - he's arguably a #1D on many teams in the league, and a 1st pairing D on almost all teams.

I was just illustrating the early season funk he was leaving on the ice, I am sure he will come around but I still think anything over 6x6 is too much.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

This may well be true, but if I was Trouba, I'd sign for $ 6 mil over 4 years, and set myself up financially for life first. After that he can go for the lottery big dollars. He's just not in the league of Connor McDavid, where he can command that right now.

Don't forget, he's taking a big chance right now, and could suffer a career ending injury and walk away with peanuts- pretty much broke. I remember when Serge Savard for Montreal broke his leg 2 times, and it just about ended his career. If Trouba was smart, he'd take care of his future financial stability first, and if he's as good as he thinks, he will get the big bucs down the road. He should not let "greed" blind him of this fact of life.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've long held the belief is that ultimately Chevy and Overcharge hit on a compromise on the eve of Trouba's arbitration hearing this summer. Something mid range, for nice money but not out of the world. Something like 5 years with a $7 - 7.5 M AAV range. Not perfect, but not all contracts can be. Trouba then becomes a UFA in his late 20's and gets to call his shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad