Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
That is an awful deal for Tampa. We would be lucky to get one of Sergachev and Point in a trade. That being said, if one of them isn't coming back, I want nothing to do with trading Trouba to Tampa.
no, that would be a great trade for tampa. it would be absolutely horrible on our end though. we'd be lucky to get ONE of point and sergachev (two clearly inferior players) for trouba? it's sad how much he's being underrated this year. yes Jmo has stepped up and improved even more, but trouba is still that steady #1 guy he was last year and our best defenseman. he's very good. without him we are nowhere near where we are today in the standings. guy anchors this Dcore. he and Jmo are such a solid pair that need to be locked up long term, ASAP.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've copied the last several posts on this topic from the prospects thread to here.

The discussion probably dies here now anyway but I will have tried. :laugh:
I still think we see a mid range contract (4-5 years) with Trouba for a fair salary at the door step of the arb hearing. If Trouba really wants out we will see a hockey trade mid way through.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still think we see a mid range contract (4-5 years) with Trouba for a fair salary at the door step of the arb hearing. If Trouba really wants out we will see a hockey trade mid way through.

More recently I've been thinking of 5 years instead of the usual 6-8. That could be the compromise last offer Chevy makes 'on the courthouse steps' that gets it signed.

I wouldn't rule out 4 years but I would be surprised if it goes that short. Chevy could see 4 as enough time for a cup run or two. After that time maybe Trouba has changed his mind. Maybe his gf drops out of school. Maybe he gets a new gf. A lot happens in 4 years. Or there is the possibility of keeping Trouba for a couple of years and then trading him while he is still under contract for a couple.

We just don't know for sure where JT stands. I'm pretty sure the gf in school in Fla and the condo there means he would prefer to be there. But we can't know how hard he will try to get there.

I can't transfer my life experience very well into the lifestyle of an NHL player. I tried a long-distance relationship once. It was hard - and expensive by my standards. We came together in the same place and got married. It has worked out well. Everyone tells me I lucked out. :laugh:

By my standards, Trouba has unlimited money to throw at the problem. Money can fix a lot of things. Maybe he and his gf are satisfied as is. Maybe they are willing to make some sacrifices to change it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
More recently I've been thinking of 5 years instead of the usual 6-8. That could be the compromise last offer Chevy makes 'on the courthouse steps' that gets it signed.

I wouldn't rule out 4 years but I would be surprised if it goes that short. Chevy could see 4 as enough time for a cup run or two. After that time maybe Trouba has changed his mind. Maybe his gf drops out of school. Maybe he gets a new gf. A lot happens in 4 years. Or there is the possibility of keeping Trouba for a couple of years and then trading him while he is still under contract for a couple.

We just don't know for sure where JT stands. I'm pretty sure the gf in school in Fla and the condo there means he would prefer to be there. But we can't know how hard he will try to get there.

I can't transfer my life experience very well into the lifestyle of an NHL player. I tried a long-distance relationship once. It was hard - and expensive by my standards. We came together in the same place and got married. It has worked out well. Everyone tells me I lucked out. :laugh:

By my standards, Trouba has unlimited money to throw at the problem. Money can fix a lot of things. Maybe he and his gf are satisfied as is. Maybe they are willing to make some sacrifices to change it.
I think we see the situation pretty similarly. And winning can really change things. I've liked how Chevy has handled contracts over the past couple seasons and will trust he finds some middle ground with a very tough agent.

Reactions: libertarian and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we see the situation pretty similarly. And winning can really change things. I've liked how Chevy has handled contracts over the past couple seasons and will trust he finds some middle ground with a very tough agent.

Either that or a good trade. Chevy has not been perfect but he hasn't done anything off the wall. I feel pretty secure with his handling of the team.

Reactions: libertarian

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Flyers fan coming in peace. Just wondering what the asking price from the flyers for trouba would be? Would love to pair him with provorov. We have two first round picks idk if a package involving one of the picks would suit you.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd like to see Myers and Buff, or Morrissey on the power play. Trouba's slap shot misses the net about 40 % of the time, and your right, he often shoots, when he could pass, and set up a play. Myers and Morrissey are very accurate.

Myers is the best quarterback on our power play - shows by his point production !!!

Reactions: libertarian

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Trouba has a terrible shot. Always misses the net and telegraphs it. Can see what he is going to do from Manchu pichu! I always found it funny that Perrault comes back plays on the fourth line and is happy getting 11 minutes a night for the team. Trouba on the other hand asked for a trade an stated his reason was ice time when he was getting over 20 min a game. His play has not caught up to his ego yet. I say get rid of him before we get Bogo'd again

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Trouba has a terrible shot. Always misses the net and telegraphs it. Can see what he is going to do from Manchu pichu! I always found it funny that Perrault comes back plays on the fourth line and is happy getting 11 minutes a night for the team. Trouba on the other hand asked for a trade an stated his reason was ice time when he was getting over 20 min a game. His play has not caught up to his ego yet. I say get rid of him before we get Bogo'd again

Totally agree with your post DiG -- and if Trouba won't sign for what he's worth--like $ 5.5 mil to $ 6 mil ( instead of $ 7.7 mil) then trade him for a good young center - like Barzal from the Islanders, or try for Sergachev.

I'll bet Morrissey signs in this range, and Ehlers already did.

We don't need to "babysit" his temper tantrums, and holdouts, and complaining. If he does not sign for what he's worth -- Chevy will dump him, just like he did with Ladd.

Send all the "overbucked" contracts to New York -"they love to overpay."

Trouba's decision to sign a bridge deal --just may backfire on him.

Reactions: libertarian and D1G

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Flyers fan coming in peace. Just wondering what the asking price from the flyers for trouba would be? Would love to pair him with provorov. We have two first round picks idk if a package involving one of the picks would suit you.
It would cost a young D and a 1st IMO, or a similar aged quality D. We are still hoping to convince him that his best interests are served by sticking around and getting a few shots at a ring.

Nov 24, 2006

Problem is, we finally have a good top 6 D where all of them are NHL quality, and more importantly, playing well together. I say that with Buff and Enstrom out right now, and #7 and #8 (Poolman and Chiarot) filling in pretty well.

If we trade Trouba, we need an NHL D back IMO, not picks or prospects.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We would want Provorov back for him which justifiably your teams management would likely not do. Other than that you really don't have the pieces we would want to be tempted to move him. We don't want a prospect or pick package at the stage we are at as a team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We really have no way of knowing just how happy Perrault is with a reduced role, but even if he is pretty accepting of it Perrault already inked a decent long term deal so he isn't worried about needing the minutes to showcase himself in order to earn a new contract. Different story for Trouba who hasn't made the big dollars yet and who did have a legit complaint as far as role and ice time where concerned.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Leaving aside the "does he or doesn't he want to stay" question (my sense is that he wants out), there is still a salary cap issue that the Jets are facing. While it is certainly not impossible to squeeze all of the RFA's that need singing under the cap, even bringing Enstrom back on a $2-3 million deal for a couple of years throws a big monkey wrench in that. The Jets are in a position, as they lock up their core pieces to long-term, big-dollar contracts, that quality entry level players become more and more important.

Trouba at $6 million (even if he would sign for that) makes the Laine and Conor second contracts all the more tricky when they come up. My vote would be to look at a trade in the offseason for a cost controlled D (or maybe a high 1st round draft pick to use on a D). I'm not sure that you get anything approaching equal value for a current NHLer.

Florida (where he would certainly be willing to sign) sits today with the 8th OA pick. An offseason deal for that pick and one of their top D-prospects (and a depth NHLer, if possible) isn't the worst outcome. It keeps the cupboards vey well stocked and ensures that you can fit everyone else under the cap as they come up for new deals.

Of course, if he is willing to sign a long term deal at a sub $6 million cap hit, you take it and do your damnedest to fit in the others...I just don't see that as likely

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My vote would be to keep and lock up our young top D pair if we can get it at market rate. Why look a gift horse in the mouth? If we can’t get that done then onward.

This will take care of itself one way or the other.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
It would cost a young D and a 1st IMO, or a similar aged quality D. We are still hoping to convince him that his best interests are served by sticking around and getting a few shots at a ring.
Would a first, a third, hagg, and a b level forward prospect be satisfactory?

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012

I disagree. Trouba has the most accurate shot on the Jet's D. He knows how to shoot it low along the ice but it often deflects or hits a leg.
Buff has the least accurate shot. Always high and wide or over the net.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
My vote would be to keep and lock up our young top D pair if we can get it at market rate. Why look a gift horse in the mouth? If we can’t get that done then onward.

This will take care of itself one way or the other.

What do you think "market rate" is?
I'm curious, because my estimation of market rate for Morrissey is probably ~ $5.5 on a long term deal...and Trouba's value is not any higher this season.
They may want to sign Josh first.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What do you think "market rate" is?
I'm curious, because my estimation of market rate for Morrissey is probably ~ $5.5 on a long term deal...and Trouba's value is not any higher this season.
They may want to sign Josh first.

Totally agree with your post Scelaton - and the trouble is I believe Trouba wants like $ 7.5 to $ 8 mil, so I hear. As you say, he shouldn't get any more than Morrissey, and that's for certain, as Josh has outplayed him this year.

I guess Trouba is "hoping" arbitration will award him more money ? -- but if the arbitrators think like many posters on here -("including me")-- he's going to be in for a big surprise.

Herein lies the whole problem with the Trouba situation -- in the end, it usually always comes down to money.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Totally agree with your post Scelaton - and the trouble is I believe Trouba wants like $ 7.5 to $ 8 mil, so I hear. As you say, he shouldn't get any more than Morrissey, and that's for certain, as Josh has outplayed him this year.

I guess Trouba is "hoping" arbitration will award him more money ? -- but if the arbitrators think like many posters on here -("including me")-- he's going to be in for a big surprise.

Herein lies the whole problem with the Trouba situation -- in the end, it usually always comes down to money.
Just to be clear--when I said "value", I meant contribution to the team on the ice, not monetary value. The two are in different stages of their contract cycles. But that could be easily corrected, eg, by offering Josh 5.5 x 7 (=3UFA years) and Trouba 5.5 x 5 (=3UFA years).

Reactions: Guerzy and GNP

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Would a first, a third, hagg, and a b level forward prospect be satisfactory?
Hagg is a 5-6 D and we have those in spades. Not even sure that Sanheim will be a 3-4 D, so unless Sanheim steps up and seems to be getting there it seems that we are not great trading partners. Also, don’t really need any B prospects. Not going to ask for any of your key players because that just causes hurt feelings. Jets likely get a player slightly worse than Trouba and a pick to even it up. Hopefully we re-sign him though.

Reactions: Grebinator

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The period of study, with internship and residency is 7 years, 6 after this season. I don't think we can assume that the internship and residency will be done close to the school's location but nearer is probably more likely than farther. After those 6 years she probably becomes pretty flexible about location, at least within the US. That is the first half of the rest of his career.

Exactly how much weight he gives proximity to her we can't know. But it does make for a pretty obvious preference on his part to playing for either Florida or Tampa, especially Florida. BB&T Centre is about 10 km from Nova Southeastern University. Amalie Arena is about 350 km. Add to that Florida's climate and taxes and I don't think it is a stretch to expect him to want to go there. Question is, how far is he willing to go to get what he wants?

What if those two teams aren't willing to pay him? Is going to take a severe discount so Tampa can fit him under the cap?

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad