Should we look to acquire a top 4 d?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the defence is in the same position as some of the forwards in that they will be given every opportunity to improve their play to start the season & win or keep their jobs. Wiercioch played well going down the stretch & IMO it`s his job to lose & you never know he could lose it. I also think Wideman will be on the roster to start the season replacing Gryba & will also get his chance at RD. He`s the new defencemen who they think is an upgrade & could make the difference given his record in the AHL.

I think this organization loves Boroweicki & I expect he will stay with the team while Cowen will be given 25 games or more to win a permanent spot on this roster. Unless Phillips retires he will also be part of the defensive unit. With 8 defencemen going into next yr again I doubt any moves are made to acquire another one, at least not until a couple of these guys falter badly & need to be moved or at the trade deadline, if someone becomes available who is better than what they have, that can help Ottawa in a playoff run, if the price is right.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Right now, I don't think it's a priority. I like the fact that Murray was quiet this offseason since we have tons of young guys that could make the team right away and I'd rather see what they can do before getting a veteran player and then wasting a young players development. I don't think we're at the point of contending right now so it's not a need. Wiercioch, Cowen,Ceci, Wideman and even Claesson and Wikstrand will get their shots if they play good enough and should they not seize the opportunity to have a bigger role, then yes, I agree, we'd probably need a top 4 defensemen. I have a hard time believing that none of the players mentionned above will be able to play second pairing minutes this season. I am not a big Wiercioch fan, but he did some good things and I'm curious to see if a boost of confidence from last season, and playing for Team Canada will propel him forward in his development after a couple years of average play. I'm fairly confident of what this team can accomplish when healthy and I don't think there's anything to be done unless a major injury hits the team.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
I don' think they'll be getting that for Spurgeon

They seem be a complete team, dunno what to offer them. Maybe a good bottom 6 forward? RW specifically

Alex Chiasson + Matt Puempel? I dunno

yeah they would have to add on spurgeon to get a quality player with 1c potential.

tbh i would consider trading turris in like a year or two (or until zib becomes our 1c) to get a quality #2-#3 d of course it depends on who we trade for but i'd be open to that option

WhiteLight*

yeah they would have to add on spurgeon to get a quality player with 1c potential.

tbh i would consider trading turris in like a year or two (or until zib becomes our 1c) to get a quality #2-#3 d of course it depends on who we trade for but i'd be open to that option

For Turris we'd be looking at Brodin

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
MacArthur - Lazar - Ryan
Prince - Pageau - Michalek
Puempel - Smith/Paul - Chiasson

WhiteLight*

MacArthur - Lazar - Ryan

Is that an ok forward group?

Tough price to pay to upgrade the D

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Brodin
Wiercioch - Ceci

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015

MacArthur - Lazar - Ryan

yeah exactly maybe someone like brodin and one of the sides would add a bit if the value isnt quite right but yeah a deal could be made here

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Brodin
Wiercioch - Ceci

well this is assuming Zib is a capable and great 1c and Lazar is capable of handling the 2c job so yeah looks pretty good to me

WhiteLight*

yeah exactly maybe someone like brodin and one of the sides would add a bit if the value isnt quite right but yeah a deal could be made here

Absolutely. I think Ottawa and Minnesota make good trading partners

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
I think the defence is in the same position as some of the forwards in that they will be given every opportunity to improve their play to start the season & win or keep their jobs. Wiercioch played well going down the stretch & IMO it`s his job to lose & you never know he could lose it. I also think Wideman will be on the roster to start the season replacing Gryba & will also get his chance at RD. He`s the new defencemen who they think is an upgrade & could make the difference given his record in the AHL.

I think this organization loves Boroweicki & I expect he will stay with the team while Cowen will be given 25 games or more to win a permanent spot on this roster. Unless Phillips retires he will also be part of the defensive unit. With 8 defencemen going into next yr again I doubt any moves are made to acquire another one, at least not until a couple of these guys falter badly & need to be moved or at the trade deadline, if someone becomes available who is better than what they have, that can help Ottawa in a playoff run, if the price is right.

yeah of course we could maybe package some of our d-men to invest in a better one. I personally think Wier isn't quite good enough to be in the top 4 but he makes a good third pairing anchor. We don't have to target anyone now, you're right we should let Wier prove himself but if he doesn't (and i don't think he will) we should be aiming to acquire a top 4 dman in the next year or two.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
yeah of course we could maybe package some of our d-men to invest in a better one. I personally think Wier isn't quite good enough to be in the top 4 but he makes a good third pairing anchor. We don't have to target anyone now, you're right we should let Wier prove himself but if he doesn't (and i don't think he will) we should be aiming to acquire a top 4 dman in the next year or two.

Agreed. If they go after a top 4 defenceman I think it will be at the trade deadline which could cost a prospect & a 2nd rd pick, something like that & only if they are going to likely make the playoffs & if that is the area that has the greatest need. In the next yr or two Wikstrand, Claesson, Chabot or someone else within the organization could step up. Ceci could start producing more & take the pressure off the left side to produce, Wideman too could translate his AHL all star game to the NHL & take off as well, even Cowen or Weircioch. All this remains to be seen but there are numerous possibilities with this group. Should be interesting to watch.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd like to reunite the stone brothers

or complete our pairing of "Spokane Jareds"

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Weir and Ceci are both young, high drafted D man. Every reason to think they are going to continue to improve. Weir got selected to go to the World Championships and by all accounts played well. He has to come in to this season with confidence based on that experience and his last 30 games last year.

I guess I am in the minority but I just don't think upgrading the top D is a priority right now at all. Maybe come trade deadline if we see a lot of development all the way around and could maybe do some playoff damage, but right now IMO both of those young guys earned the right to compete for those jobs as the incumbents.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I don't know much about gunnarson is he an improvement from Wier?

He's very sound defensively. Isn't going to wow anyone with his offensive abilities. And he's had some injuries in recent years - hip and concussion. For my 2 cents, I like him because I'd like to see the Sens improve in their own end and I think he provides that over Weircoch. He'd be a steadying prescence with Ceci, allow Cowen to spend a year on the third pairing, and perhaps be able to help him along a bit - pretty sure I read somewhere that the Sens want Cowen to focus on the D side of his game. Gunnarsson is UFA at the end of the year, hence my inclusion of a pick from the Blues to balance out Weircoch's RFA status plus Smith (who could be of value with Berglund out for 4 months).

If Cowen progresses this year he can assume a top 4 role next year and make room for Claeson on the third pair. If he doesn't the Sens have the spot open for a UFA or trade (Seabrook would look good in a Sens jersey :) )

BigBush*

only for a bonifide top pairing Dman. a good #2 like Edler if available. too many times i read people on here make suggestions for Dman who arent a big enough improvement to really take the team to the next level (Gunnarson is a good example)

BigBush*

Weir and Ceci are both young, high drafted D man. Every reason to think they are going to continue to improve. Weir got selected to go to the World Championships and by all accounts played well. He has to come in to this season with confidence based on that experience and his last 30 games last year.

I guess I am in the minority but I just don't think upgrading the top D is a priority right now at all. Maybe come trade deadline if we see a lot of development all the way around and could maybe do some playoff damage, but right now IMO both of those young guys earned the right to compete for those jobs as the incumbents.

from my viewings, he was noticeably the worst Dman on the team. Thats not a total shot at Weir as team Canada is always pretty stacked, but i dont have much faith in Weir becoming more then a borderline top 4 Dman with good offensive instincts who struggles in the defensive zone

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

MacArthur - Lazar - Ryan

Lazar is nowhere near being a legit 2C. If he ever develops to that level, it would be a good 3-4 years away from now.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Brodin
Wiercioch - Ceci

A price the Senators would be insane to pay right now.

Neither Pageau nor Lazar are ready for regular top 6 duty

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
only for a bonifide top pairing Dman. a good #2 like Edler if available. too many times i read people on here make suggestions for Dman who arent a big enough improvement to really take the team to the next level (Gunnarson is a good example)

And too many times I read pie in the sky proposals for players that are either unavailable or that would command far more than what the Sens should be prepared to offer. Gunnarsson doesn't take the Sens to "he next level", but he would accomplish a few things: allow Cowen easier minutes on the third pairing, provide a better defensive partner for Ceci so he could explore his offensive game more, resolve some of logjam on LD when he becomes a UFA at the end of the season - so Cowen could move up and open a spot for Claeson/acquisition. You want the Sens to progress to the next level? Don't buckle up, because it isn't going to be some wild ride - settle in and enjoy the journey while we watch some of these guys grow. Patience.

And all that said, I'd be perfectly ok starting with a second pairing of Weircoch-Ceci. But if it becomes evident that they're physically outmatched then perhaps time to make a move for a guy like Gunnarsson who can buy Cowen that year to better develop.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Give Cowen and Wiercioch until mid November to prove they're capable. If the team is in a playoff spot and neither Cowen nor Wier can get it done in the top 4 then It's a good time to look for teams that are desperate for a shakeup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad