Should we look to acquire a top 4 d?

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
imo i think we're a defenseman away from being real threats in the east.

I know they're hard to acquire but i think it would be worth it.

Should we get another defenseman? If so who?

post a proposal if you have any suggestions on who we should target.

I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions!:):handclap:

proposals so far:

Turris for Brodin
Gunnarson + 2nd for Wier and Smith

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Depends on the price and the player obviously.

A guy like Ehrhoff? No. Not good enough (anymore) to make a difference.

If Wiercioch + Puempel + 2nd can land a 25-28 year old true top 4, than sure, yes. Is that realistic? Probably not.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Depends on the price and the player obviously.

A guy like Ehrhoff? No. Not good enough (anymore) to make a difference.

If Wiercioch + Puempel + 2nd can land a 25-28 year old true top 4, than sure, yes. Is that realistic? Probably not.

i'm a believer in chabot so i think it would be ideal to get someone a little older than that to mentor Ceci and to eventually give the spot to Chabot... a guy like hamhuis.

idk if i'd give Wier + Puempel + 2nd to get him but it would probably cost something like that

WhiteLight*

Only guys I can think of who might be available are Dustin Byfuglien and Jared Spurgeon.

Nashville would probably trade Ryan Ellis for a young top 6 forward. So if you're ready to give up Hoffman...

WhiteLight*

i'm a believer in chabot so i think it would be ideal to get someone a little older than that to mentor Ceci and to eventually give the spot to Chabot... a guy like hamhuis.

idk if i'd give Wier + Puempel + 2nd to get him but it would probably cost something like that

I suppose we could aim for someone older. But I don't think Vancouver will move Hamhuis unless they are out at the deadline.

Is Ottawa in a position to give up assets for rentals to try and compete for the Cup? Does Hamhuis make this team a real contender? I don't think we have a clear answer for that right now. Seems to me like it's a question for later in the season, if we're talking about getting a veteran

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Only guys I can think of who might be available are Dustin Byfuglien and Jared Spurgeon.

Nashville would probably trade Ryan Ellis for a young top 6 forward. So if you're ready to give up Hoffman...

could those guys play on the left with Ceci?

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
I suppose we could aim for someone older. But I don't think Vancouver will move Hamhuis unless they are out at the deadline.

Is Ottawa in a position to give up assets for rentals to try and compete for the Cup? Does Hamhuis make this team a real contender? I don't think we have a clear answer for that right now. Seems to me like it's a question for later in the season, if we're talking about getting a veteran

I personally think we would be better and yeah we would probably get him at the deadline but it doesn't have to be hamhuis just maybe someone like him. If we get a younger guy then i think we shouldn't go for a rental but a permanent solution to solidify it for the future

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
I don't think so. Would push Ceci to the 3rd pair

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Spurgeon/Ellis/Byfuglien
Wiercioch - Ceci

that could work. That would definitely make us threats but it would probably slow down Ceci's progression.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I feel as though there is a shortage in availability, so prices would be too high to make it worthwhile

That said, a lot of quality top 4 D have moved lately:

Yandle, Niskanen, Leddy, Petry, Stralman, Sekera, Hamilton, Bogosian, Myers, Boychuk, Oduya, Daley, Dillon...

Idk if I'd pay the asking price, but those are all guys that are in our age range (maybe not Oduya and Daley so much) and could have helped the team to varying degrees.

Missed boat, or better off being patient... Idk. some of the UFA pickups (I'm looking at you Stralman) would have been nice.

WhiteLight*

I personally think we would be better and yeah we would probably get him at the deadline but it doesn't have to be hamhuis just maybe someone like him. If we get a younger guy then i think we shouldn't go for a rental but a permanent solution to solidify it for the future

Yeah, I guess I personally don't see the point in getting an older rental like Hamhuis if the team isn't ready to contend...

And I suppose Buff is a rental too, but I don't care as much I just want to see him with Karlsson on the PP :laugh:

I really really like Spurgeon. I think he'd complement Cowen perfectly. Spurgeon is consistent and poised, something Cowen needs in a partner. Fast and can move the puck. But he's not like Karlsson in the sense that Cowen would be used as a purely stay at home guy - more of a give and take than Karlsson simply being the dominant partner.

Othello*

Marco Scandella would be a nice pickup, Minnesota seems to have a logjam on defence.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Yeah, I guess I personally don't see the point in getting an older rental like Hamhuis if the team isn't ready to contend...

And I suppose Buff is a rental too, but I don't care as much I just want to see him with Karlsson on the PP :laugh:

I really really like Spurgeon. I think he'd complement Cowen perfectly. Spurgeon is consistent and poised, something Cowen needs in a partner. Fast and can move the puck. But he's not like Karlsson in the sense that Cowen would be used as a purely stay at home guy - more of a give and take than Karlsson simply being the dominant partner.

yeah sounds like a guy we should target but im assuming the asking price for him would be pretty big! what would you be prepared to give up for him?

WhiteLight*

Marco Scandella would be a nice pickup, Minnesota seems to have a logjam on defence.

Their logjam is on the right side though... Scandella likely isn't available.

Whereas with Spurgeon, they may be ready to play Dumba in his spot in the top 4 and play Folin on the 3rd pair

Othello*

They where the go to pairing when Spokane won the memorial cup i think

WhiteLight*

yeah sounds like a guy we should target but im assuming the asking price for him would be pretty big! what would you be prepared to give up for him?

I don't know if Minnesota wants a forward, or prospects. Tough to judge value

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
imo the only rhd we should target are guys that are relatively young 23-27 years and that are better or will be better than Ceci

WhiteLight*

I'm pretty sure they need a #1 center or a guy with potential to become a 1c

I don' think they'll be getting that for Spurgeon

They seem be a complete team, dunno what to offer them. Maybe a good bottom 6 forward? RW specifically

Alex Chiasson + Matt Puempel? I dunno

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I say yes. I would also look to acquire better d prospects. Need to be prepared for Methot to decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad