Proposal: Should the Habs bring back Gerard Gallant?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I think the question is moot because gallant will probably receive HC offers.

I have no problem if he wants to come back though. I hate the PK, and maybe he can help there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I believe Gallant has 2 more contract years on top of this year. He's in no rush to sign with anyone. He can afford to wait for a head coach position rather than just take on a secondary assignment. He's obviously a candidate for the Vegas job, much better to wait for that than work for Therrien or coach in the minors.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I said no. Big reason is he won't be jumping at any assistant coaching jobs. He may well land on his feet quickly in Vegas. I know if I'm McPhee, I'm calling him.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Assistant TO the associate

996286430a8e3cd03fbd1fe688a2c9f7.jpg

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
MB is not gonna fire anybody in the middle of the season. So unless we hire GG as a PK consultant, he ain't coming into the organization

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I see no point in bringing him back for the sake of bringing him back. I mean... he did leave the team, and things didn't went as well as expected for him, because he's not as good a coach as we all made him to be.

Things didn't go as well as expected? He was nominated for coach of the year and guided the Panthers to their best single season in franchise history and won the division. What on earth are you talking about?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Fire Lacroix he is useless. He won't be unemployed for long so I dont think he signs to coach the Ice Caps. I don't think he comes back since Therrien isn't going anywhere

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Gallant is not coming to Montreal, he's not going to St.Johns. He's making a HC's salary through the 2018-19 season. The Habs aren't going to pay him that to be an assistant, or to coach in the A for the same dough Florida was paying him, and Gallant has no reason at this point to take a step back career wise. He's well respected around the league, and the consensus seems to be that hockey ops people for other teams are aghast at his firing. He can bide his time , sit at home and collect on his current contract until he's offered another HC gig.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Florida management is being run by folks who have no business running the operations side of a hockey team. Tallon was swept aside. They made a huge mistake firing this guy. Gallant is a good coach and his players loved playing for him. Huge screw up by Florida.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
On 24ch, GG was the guy who said something intelligent after MT's empty speeches, so yes id gladly welcome him back as HC.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
We'd have to fire someone first. Which is not exactly Bergevin's strength. Seriously, has he ever fired someone since he took over GM duties?

didnt he fire craig ramsey who was on some sort of consultant/part time dealio ?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
well considering hes D first and barely plays in the o zone, no thx. Hes a typical coach who relies on great Goaltending and not much offensive creativity. Much like Therrien. We have one, more than enough, hopefully when he gets fired, Mueller takes over. Not another Therrien.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We'd have to fire someone first. Which is not exactly Bergevin's strength. Seriously, has he ever fired someone since he took over GM duties?

Cunnyworth & Ladouceur. You can also say (sort of) he fired Gomez when he told him to pack his jockstrap and not show up to the rink.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Cunnyworth & Ladouceur. You can also say (sort of) he fired Gomez when he told him to pack his jockstrap and don't show up to the rink.

OK, but these are guys he didn't hire in the first place. They knew they were out the minute Gauthier was fired, obviously.

And Gomez was a buyout, just like PAP.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I'd love to bring him back, but here is the thing. He is paid very well to just sit at home until 2019, and most teams realize he wasn't fired for his failures, but rather due to a disagreement with the GM.

If I'm Gallant, I sit at home, maybe do some tv work, until the right head coaching offer comes along. And it will come along. He will be in demand the next time a team fires their head coach, or for the Vegas job.

He doesn't really need to step into an assistant job, just to his name out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad