Should Bob Murray be fired?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Remember that Perry didn't sign his RFA contract until July 1st. Although I think that had to do with tagging.

Ryan didn't sign until quite some time. Like a week or two before training camp.

You can get cheap contracts by waiting some. Of course you could also get over-inflated contracts if they sign an offer sheet.

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
since there's ZERO reason for us to lose him. Absolutely zero reason.

If we go by last few seasons, BM is fairly capable of finding reasons and let assets walk just to be replaced by something not quite as good and for more $$...

:naughty:

Jul 22, 2012
I've always stuck up for Murray, and was one to think that the good always outweighed the bad.. but now I'm jumping over to the other side.

He's lost his ****ing mind. Get rid of him before he trades Fowler and destroys our team.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Lol who would've thought signing Boll would be the straw that broke the camels back ?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I know, it doesn't make sense. Cheap depth additions were necessary this off season regardless of what else goes on. There's nothing about these moves that should be setting people off like this.

And it happens to this place every year.

I get it with Boll to a certain extent, since people are nervous about Carlyle rehashing his years in Toronto.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Are you not a Sabres fan or am I confusing you for someone else?

I am. But Pegula has only owned the Sabres for like 4 years. He came in and made a splash then decided the core was rotten after a year and a half and went full rebuild. Before that we were a budget team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's difficult to remain positive when you see all our UFAs walk and then watch us swoop in on Guenin, Raymond, Schultz, and Boll. Not one of whom are expected to play the full season in ANA. Add in a questionable new coach, rumors of a Fowler trade and the constant moaning from BM that we can't afford real talent and it really starts becoming annoying.

Seriously, somebody tell me what kind of move we can possible still make, that will cause us all to say, "oh, yeah, now I see where Bob was going. Makes perfect sense." IMO, if Fowler doesn't bring back Duchene, Landiskog, or RNH (And I seriously doubt he will) this team is going to be pure ****.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I am. But Pegula has only owned the Sabres for like 4 years. He came in and made a splash then decided the core was rotten after a year and a half and went full rebuild. Before that we were a budget team.

Yes, but first Pegula threw money at everyone he possibly could thinking he would buy a winner before learning that just spending money did not insure him a winner. Sure money helps, but if you have a GM mis-allocating it there still isn't enough of it to overcome his stupidity.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It's difficult to remain positive when you see all our UFAs walk and then watch us swoop in on Guenin, Raymond, Schultz, and Boll. Not one of whom are expected to play the full season in ANA. Add in a questionable new coach, rumors of a Fowler trade and the constant moaning from BM that we can't afford real talent and it really starts becoming annoying.

Seriously, somebody tell me what kind of move we can possible still make, that will cause us all to say, "oh, yeah, now I see where Bob was going. Makes perfect sense." IMO, if Fowler doesn't bring back Duchene, Landiskog, or RNH (And I seriously doubt he will) this team is going to be pure ****.

If we trade Fowler our blueline becomes a worry so we could be in for troubles. Regardless of what happens our lineup is a worry damn budget :rant:

Oct 18, 2011
this team is going the wrong direction, the last year or so has been dreadful. nothing but subtractions of quality players left and right. every year they sign bandaids maybe if bob and crew drafted and developed some forwards we wouldn't be in such a sad state of affairs

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yes, but first Pegula threw money at everyone he possibly could thinking he would buy a winner before learning that just spending money did not insure him a winner. Sure money helps, but if you have a GM mis-allocating it there still isn't enough of it to overcome his stupidity.

I'm certainly not arguing that just throwing money around will buy you success. You still have to be smart and take risks. I just don't know how anyone could seriously believe this is Bob Murray's plan based on what he feels will build a good team ..it's more a plan based on what he has to work with.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
this team is going the wrong direction, the last year or so has been dreadful. nothing but subtractions of quality players left and right. every year they sign bandaids maybe if bob and crew drafted and developed some forwards we wouldn't be in such a sad state of affairs

Now there is a legit complaint that could be pinned to Bob... I don't know the particulars so I won't comment but drafting has nothing to do with available money

Edit. Unless owner is skimping out on scouting resources like our owners did years back going with just basically video scouting

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm certainly not arguing that just throwing money around will buy you success. You still have to be smart and take risks. I just don't know how anyone could seriously believe this is Bob Murray's plan based on what he feels will build a good team ..it's more a plan based on what he has to work with.

The budget excuse is such a crutch for Murray. Yes, it doesn't help. However does it cause him to make bad signings like Stoner, Allen, Souray,etc? No. Does it make him trade assets at the wrong time? Holland for a conditional 3rd rounder? Palmieri for a 2nd? Does it make him lack the vision to see that we need more scoring wingers last off-season instead of a grinder in Hagelin?

I'm not saying he should be fired right now, but his leash should be very, very short. He's just as much to blame for our failures as Bruce was. He's pissed away the primes or Getzlaf and Perry for the most part. If we don't make the playoffs or get past the first round, he should be let go immediately.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The budget excuse is such a crutch for Murray. Yes, it doesn't help. However does it cause him to make bad signings like Stoner, Allen, Souray,etc? No. Does it make him trade assets at the wrong time? Holland for a conditional 3rd rounder? Palmieri for a 2nd? Does it make him lack the vision to see that we need more scoring wingers last off-season instead of a grinder in Hagelin?

I'm not saying he should be fired right now, but his leash should be very, very short. He's just as much to blame for our failures as Bruce was. He's pissed away the primes or Getzlaf and Perry for the most part. If we don't make the playoffs or get past the first round, he should be let go immediately.

All valid points.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The Holland trade? What? He was an unproven forward that was overtaken by a superior player on the depth chart. He wasn't going to bring back any sort of impact asset.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Murray's failure was his inability to explain to ownership 2 years ago that we would be this bad this year regardless, and that we needed to spend for a 3C at the trade deadline 2 years ago. We all knew this was coming, he should have allocated some assets to load up one of the last two years. It wouldn't guarantee anything, but it would have removed the "what ifs". The window is closed, barring a lot of bad luck (injuries) for other teams + career years all around.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I hate him almost as much as I hate Pierre Gauthier. He's wastes assets, gives NMC and overpays for UFA while cheaping out on the Ducks' own UFA and RFA players, he's vindictive to the point of cutting off his own nose to spite himself, he tears apart the team every summer without addressing the real needs of the team, he so f-ing wishy washy about what kind of team the Ducks should be. I hate him. If I didn't have to put down non-refundable deposits on 2016-17 tickets in order to buy playoff tickets this year, I would seriously consider not wasting my money next season. I hate Bob Murray.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
BM had made mistakes, but find me a GM who hasn't. His lack of vision and inability to cultivate an identity for this team are his biggest vices IMO. He also over spends on mediocre 3rd pairing pylons. It could be a lot worse though.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
BM had made mistakes, but find me a GM who hasn't. His lack of vision and inability to cultivate an identity for this team are his biggest vices IMO. He also over spends on mediocre 3rd pairing pylons. It could be a lot worse though.
Saying GM made mistakes but find me one that hasn't, and then follow it up with "lack of vision and inability to cultivate an identity" makes little or no sense. Lack of vision and inability to cultivate an identity is an offense that should fire you immediately, it's not some minor mistake. The first thing GM does when he assumes position of GM is laying out a long-term vision for a team and what kind of an identity the team will have.

I don't believe he lacks vision, and think vision (mandated by the state of ownership) for this team has been fulfilled in it's entirety. "Minor" problem being the perception of said vision though, mostly due to game 7 fiasco's and somewhat to do with roster changes mistakes which are further emphasized by the lack of freedom (something very few GM's in the game have) to take neccessary steps to correct those roster mistakes. And there were also some statements by GM that contradict the actual vision for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad