Should Bob Murray be fired?

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
He had made a lot of changes for this season and things have gone horrible. He has yet to do anything. What do you think?

He's slowly depleted the scoring capabilities of this team and for three years in a row has made wholesale changes to the team instead of making adjustments or adding the right players. He has never really addressed areas where the Ducks were deficient. But he had success with all those changes except for this year and has won GM of the year. So I doubt he will get fired.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He not making a move, especially when it's obvious that this team's still building chemistry, isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the worst moves are done out of panic. Things have been grim, but they've been so ridiculously grim that you know it can't last. Overreacting can be a turning point for a GM in a very bad way.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I am not a Ducks fan but that is a stupid idea. Great top end prospects...tons of cap space....just some pieces that don't fit. Waive Stewart, shuffle the parts in the 2nd and 3rd lines....and pick up a left winger ffs!

Oct 18, 2011
no but he needs to be held accountable for some of his bad decisions. this gm refused to give beauchemin a 3 year deal, and then and went on to give up a 2nd round pick, to have bieksa for 3 years.

he gave palmieri away for nothing, and if given the choice i'd much rather have beleskey in hagelins salary slot, hagelin is just too soft for the west.

his biggest failure as GM though is the organization being unable to develop offensive forwards, i know a common rebuttal is "we haven't picked many forwards very high" well it hasn't stopped detroit from finding guys all the time

the team is soft, what they need are some dirty goals but there are too many small/soft players on the roster

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I am not a Ducks fan but that is a stupid idea. Great top end prospects...tons of cap space....just some pieces that don't fit. Waive Stewart, shuffle the parts in the 2nd and 3rd lines....and pick up a left winger ffs!

I'm not sure the Ducks still have tons of cap space, especially with the Kesler and Bieksa deals. And what good is cap space anyway and great top-end prospects if the GM doesn't start leveraging them at some point?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He not making a move, especially when it's obvious that this team's still building chemistry, isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the worst moves are done out of panic. Things have been grim, but they've been so ridiculously grim that you know it can't last. Overreacting can be a turning point for a GM in a very bad way.

He has made no moves at all not even firing BB yet. Something needs to be done something something something. Can't be doing nothing like this.

Regardless I don't think the Ducks will win a Cup with him as the GM

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It depends. Is madden loyal to him? McNabb? Will a new GM remove all of our secondary guys? Is there somebody better out there?

I will wait to feel one way or another until I see his reaction to this season.

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
No. He's a good GM whose team is underperforming. Some of his offseason moves were iffy and still are though.

I'd rather have Beleskey and Beauchemin than Hagelin and Bieksa right now and I did in July. Still time to right the ship though, I guess..

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He has made no moves at all not even firing BB yet. Something needs to be done something something something. Can't be doing nothing like this.

Regardless I don't think the Ducks will win a Cup with him as the GM

Which, again, is not necessarily a bad thing. Slumps happen, this one just happened to occur to start a season. It's also quite bad even for February, but again, the worst moves are done out of panic. That's not even just exclusive to an NHL GM, that's applicable to anything.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think Bob has earned a longer chain that. I'm not sure he would make it through a non playoff year without getting fired, but it would be pretty deep into the year before we would see that happen IMO.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Which, again, is not necessarily a bad thing. Slumps happen, this one just happened to occur to start a season. It's also quite bad even for February, but again, the worst moves are done out of panic. That's not even just exclusive to an NHL GM, that's applicable to anything.

This is a historic slump I am sorry but a slump like this calls for action of some kind.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
It depends. Is madden loyal to him? McNabb? Will a new GM remove all of our secondary guys? Is there somebody better out there?

I will wait to feel one way or another until I see his reaction to this season.

McNabb's been here for every GM this franchise has ever had. I doubt Murray leaving would have any affect on him.

Nosedive

Apr 4, 2014
There is no doubt he (along with the rest of the staff) do a great job of drafting and managing the budget. Is there a way to strip him of the GM position, but have him remain as part of the front office?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think Bob has earned a longer chain that. I'm not sure he would make it through a non playoff year without getting fired, but it would be pretty deep into the year before we would see that happen IMO.

Keep in mind, this organization has fired one GM in their entire history (and demoted another). Pretty impressive, but goes to show that guys get a lot of rope on Anaheim.

Another solution might be promoting Bob and rehiring Brian Burke. If this is the window, a risk taker might be what's needed.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There is no doubt he (along with the rest of the staff) do a great job of drafting and managing the budget. Is there a way to strip him of the GM position, but have him remain as part of the front office?

Yes. He could be promoted to President of Hockey Operations, like the Oilers did with KLowe, where IMO he'd be a better fit. Not sure the Samuelli's would want to pay another high FO salary, though.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Keep in mind, this organization has fired one GM in their entire history (and demoted another). Pretty impressive, but goes to show that guys get a lot of rope on Anaheim.

Another solution might be promoting Bob and rehiring Brian Burke. If this is the window, a risk taker might be what's needed.

Why would Burke leave Calgary?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I don't think the problem is management or coaching at this point (although Boudreau still may get the boot).

They played hard tonight (against a good team), they just didn't score.

Scoring slumps happen to all players (even Ovechkin has had droughts). When it's a team slump,guys are squeezing the sticks. Confidence is low.

They need a convincing win to get some confidence back and only the players can provide that. Their schedule is brutal right now which certainly doesn't help.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
If we blow our Cup window, people will talk about Bob Murray like they talk about Mike Gillis now. His tendency to give out NTCs/NMCs is actually very Gillis like.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If we blow our Cup window, people will talk about Bob Murray like they talk about Mike Gillis now. His tendency to give out NTCs/NMCs is actually very Gillis like.

How many has he given? Three? To three players we will never trade?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
How many has he given? Three? To three players we will never trade?

Seriously, if Murray was more liberal with NTC's, Beleskey would likely still be a Duck. (We won't talk about Bieksa's until next season, when it really hurts)

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't think the problem is management or coaching at this point (although Boudreau still may get the boot).

They played hard tonight (against a good team), they just didn't score.

Scoring slumps happen to all players (even Ovechkin has had droughts). When it's a team slump,guys are squeezing the sticks. Confidence is low.

They need a convincing win to get some confidence back and only the players can provide that. Their schedule is brutal right now which certainly doesn't help.
If the big guns were firing we'd be in a better spot, sure, but we'd still be coming up short as a contender. That is on management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad