Olympics: Shootout - Pick Your Players

DemolitionMan

Jan 2, 2009
Shootout lineups

I was wondering what each team's shooutout lineup would be and who has the best one.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
For Finland, i think Olli, T. Ruutu and Jussi... oh, wait, M. Koivu.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
For Slovakia Miroslav Satan has had great success in shootouts, he has had NHL seasons with 70 percent success rates. Zigmund Palffy is another player who has been good in shootouts. I guess for the third spot, one of Marian Gaborik or Marian Hossa.

So my three would be Miroslav Satan, Zigmund Palffy, and Marian Hossa.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
just as a reminder . . .

No Olympic men's hockey game has gone to a shoot-out since Gretzky didn’t skate against Hasek in 1998.

And before that, there’d only been 3 all-time. They’re pretty rare.

And there’s no way the Gold Medal game will feature two teams who both can’t score a single goal in 20 min. of 4-on-4.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Remember it is 5 shooters in the Olympics.

Crosby
Perry
Toews
Getzlaf
Nash

All of these players are >40% shooter in the NHL shootout the past two seasons. I would keep on switching the angle for the goaltender by alternating L and R shooters. I thought about going with the clutch Toews or Crosby in the 5th spot, but sometimes the 5th player does not get a chance to shoot and thus you want your goals early.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
For Sweden I would consider these for sure
Peter Forsberg
Henrik Zetterberg
Daniel Alfredsson

Then:

Nicklas Bäckström
Loui Eriksson

With Sedins in if someone of the above have a bad day.

Last edited:

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
Remember it is 5 shooters in the Olympics.

Nope.

This time, it's 3 shooters first, then the tie breakers.

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/olympics-2010/home/men/format.html

quote:

If the result is still tied after 3 shots by each team the procedure shall continue with a tie-break shoot-out by one player of each team, with the same or new players with the other team starting to take the tie-break shots.
The same player can also be used for each shot by a team in the tie-break shoot-out.
The game shall be finished as soon as a duel of two players brings the decisive result.

(editor's bold and italics)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad