Online Series: Shogun (D+ and FX Feb 2024)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Another fantastic episode. I really feel like this show could easily be 2-3 seasons. The character driven episodes are up there with the best I've ever seen. The dialogue has an elegance to it rivaled only by game of thrones from what I've seen.

Not nearly as much action as game of thrones, so I can see some fans of that show not being as into this one. But this is easily my favorite show on TV right now. Already preparing myself for the emptiness I know is coming once it's over

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Side note: When you go to choose the episode. Don't read the little episode description for future episodes. They just have blatant spoilers there for some reason
Yeah I was pretty pissed off when pulling up tonight's episode. I was okay with a sense of what was to come, not an outright spoiler of what should be a major plot point.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
ANother good episodes. its definitely more of a set up episode.

Anyone else think Mariko is going to become a straight up killer on a revenge arc here in the coming episodes? We know she can fight from that flashback scene.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Yeah I was pretty pissed off when pulling up tonight's episode. I was okay with a sense of what was to come, not an outright spoiler of what should be a major plot point.
Yeah same happened to me. I was hoping to maybe spare a few people in this thread. Just another reason Hulu is the worst streaming service imo

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah same happened to me. I was hoping to maybe spare a few people in this thread. Just another reason Hulu is the worst streaming service imo
So my Hulu shows have been showing up on the D+ app and I've been using that.

I just hope my daughter doesn't accidentally click Shogun when she's trying to watch Bluey on her tablet.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
So my Hulu shows have been showing up on the D+ app and I've been using that.

I just hope my daughter doesn't accidentally click Shogun when she's trying to watch Bluey on her tablet.
When I first started watching this show, I saw it on D+ as one of those new shows being promoted. But then it made me go to Hulu to actually watch it. I'll try Disney again tho.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Side note: When you go to choose the episode. Don't read the little episode description for future episodes. They just have blatant spoilers there for some reason
Solid heads up, luckily I didn't see the description before watching. Weird that they'd do that, but not too surprising.

Reactions: LarKing

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
It's seeming pretty unlikely that this show is going to have a bad episode at this point. Every episode just gets better. The politics continue getting deeper and more elaborate and I love the slow building of each character's background.

I find it interesting how the accuracy and tone of Mariko's translations have changed as her relationship with Blackthorne has changed throughout the series.

ANother good episodes. its definitely more of a set up episode.

Anyone else think Mariko is going to become a straight up killer on a revenge arc here in the coming episodes? We know she can fight from that flashback scene.
I agree about Mariko. She's about to do some bad bitch stuff. Can't wait. I think Fuji probably has something up her sleeve as well, as she's already shown she's not afraid to brandish a weapon.

Reactions: Sad People

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I agree about Mariko. She's about to do some bad bitch stuff. Can't wait. I think Fuji probably has something up her sleeve as well, as she's already shown she's not afraid to brandish a weapon.
Never that of fuji, shes not afraid to touch the guns like other people are. Mariko might be Toranaga's ace in the hole, he seems to be someone whos always 1 or 2 steps ahead of his enemies and she might be it.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm a little confused on the flashback stuff. Fuzzy on what exactly went down with Mariko's father. Not used to so many subtitles maybe :laugh: ADD gets the best of me sometimes.

Also what happened to Blackthorne's crew? Seems odd they've never been even shown after the initial capture if they're truly alive hanging out in Japan. I haven't read the source content but surely they have some relevance left to the story?

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I enjoyed the episode, but not quite as much as the previous ones and it may be as close to a "filler" episode as this series is likely to have. The arranging for and meeting with the courtesan, particularly, felt a bit long and uninteresting. I found the flashbacks and backstory a bit confusing, too, Bounces. Finally, the episode had barely any Yabushige, so of course it wasn't one of the best. It was still better than the best episodes of most other shows, though.
I believe that she will join the fight, not just because of the flashback scene, but also because of clues dropped in interviews. I doubt that she'll be allowed to join the men in battle, so the theory that she'll become a solo assassin makes sense.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also what happened to Blackthorne's crew? Seems odd they've never been even shown after the initial capture if they're truly alive hanging out in Japan. I haven't read the source content but surely they have some relevance left to the story?

There is a reason for them being isolated from Blackthorne which I think will become obvious in an upcoming episode.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
There is a reason for them being isolated from Blackthorne which I think will become obvious in an upcoming episode.

They tried the carrot and now the crew will be the stick? That or now he's an admiral of the navy so it would be silly to kill off the crew that needs to train the navy

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I like it, 7/10 .. but its a bit cheesy for me.

her husband miraculously lives (off camera) and makes some day time soap opera return? camera pans to adulturous housewife's face ..

bit contrived IMO

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I like it, 7/10 .. but its a bit cheesy for me.

her husband miraculously lives (off camera) and makes some day time soap opera return? camera pans to adulturous housewife's face ..

bit contrived IMO
Really surprised to see a 7/10 rating for this show TBH. It's a solid 11/10 for me. Can't remember a show I likd this much and was excited for every week since Game of Thrones first aired.

Maybe Breaking Bad, but I was late on the jump for BB, so I binged it.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I've not read the source material either, but I'm thinking there are two possibilities for Blackthorne's crew.

1. They're alive and being kept away from Blackthorne as a way to keep him motivated to do Toranaga's bidding by the hope that he will get to see/command them again.

2. They've been assassinated but this fact is being kept from Blackthorne to, again, keep him motivated to continue in Toranaga's service. If he was informed that they were killed he would certainly either just become completely unruly, or even rebel to the point where they'd be forced to kill him.

Sep 19, 2008
Just finished reviewing the last 2 episodes, good stuff!

The only danger of watching on Hulu.

I have no interest in seeing a summary of the show. That said that's always happened for most TV shows, even when 24 was on there was always a blurb like "Jack goes to do this and this"

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If subtitles are problematic, I think that I read somewhere that there's an English dub that you can access. I haven't verified that, though.

The other option is to learn Japanese. You still have time before the finale.

Reactions: The Macho King

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah WTF Hulu with your spoiler episode descriptions?

I agree with Osprey that this episode is the closest to a filler we’ve gotten so far. Still great of course but I’m not invested in the forbidden love story. All Blackthorne wants to do is leave Toronaga and get back to fighting the Portuguese.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad