Online Series: Shogun (D+ and FX Feb 2024)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Looks interesting. I tend to be a sucker for historical shows with Rome being one of my all time favorite shows so I'll check it out. Hopefully this leads to a bit of resurgence in dramatizations of classical history like Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia, etc...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looks interesting. I tend to be a sucker for historical shows with Rome being one of my all time favorite shows so I'll check it out. Hopefully this leads to a bit of resurgence in dramatizations of classical history like Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia, etc...
The novel and I am hoping the show are a fictionalized version of historical events sort of like the Last Kingdom (based on the Saxon stories books by Cromwell) that use real history as a backdrop to the story.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I still remember the version from the mid-1980s starring Richard Chamberlain that was shown on Finnish TV.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I watched the first two episodes.

Blackthorne is hilariously arrogant but obviously it's part of his character arc.

I enjoyed it - it has good pacing and is visually pleasant to watch.

Jarvis sounds like he’s doing his best impression of Tom Hardy.

The novel and I am hoping the show are a fictionalized version of historical events sort of like the Last Kingdom (based on the Saxon stories books by Cromwell) that use real history as a backdrop to the story.

There are certain parallels between Toranaga and Tokugawa.

Certain aspects of the book (e.g. pederasty) cannot be translated to screen but probably for the best.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Hulu had it up before they aired on TV, so look for that next week
yep. I was confused because I kept getting ads on my tablet to stream now but FX was airing it at 10 PM. So eventually I watched on Hulu while working out on the bike. Not bad to start off

Reactions: Jovavic

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I like the deliberate plodding pace of the story. I like the cast so far. It looks like they have a lot of ground to cover in 10 episodes so they kind of rushed through introductions in the first episode but I think I understand enough not knowing the book or much about Japan so I feel they did a decent job there despite John Blackthorne kind of getting thrown around all over the place. I think they were deliberate enough in their introductions of characters while moving the story forward and not losing the viewer.

The camera choice that's almost like a fish eye or looking through a peep hole on a door gives me mixed feelings. Sometimes I think it emphasizes a character in a scene, other times it almost makes me a touch dizzy. I think if there's criticism it's probably here. I don't mind the effect but it seems to be used a lot.

Reactions: Neil Racki

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
The old series was relised on Russian tv in the 90s. It was pretty disturbing and extremly boring shit, i didn't like it

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. It took about 30 minutes, since processing the introductions and what was going on was a bit of a challenge, but the rest of the episode grabbed me and got me excited for the series.

I really like how authentic and historical it feels. Disney may be the parent company, but it doesn't look or feel anything like a typical Disney series so far. Not once did I roll my eyes at dialogue or characters that seemed out of place for 1600 Japan and, like the above article suggests, it seems like a series that the Japanese may like as much as us Westerners. Speaking of dialogue, I was surprised and relieved that most of it is in Japanese. I sort of expected the show to be almost entirely in English and to be a bit bothered by that immersion breaker. You have to be OK with subtitles if you're going to watch this. As a history fan, I also liked the attention put on the Catholics and Protestants hating each other, since religious motives are often left out of historical movies and shows, even when conflicts were based on them.

Anyways, I really like what I've seen so far and will likely watch the second episode tonight.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just finished the second episode and am officially hooked. It's been excellent so far and a lot better than I expected. I just noticed that it has a 99% critic score and 95% audience score at RT and a 9.3/10 at IMDb, so it's really getting praise. The only thing that I'm disappointed by is the fact that we have to wait a week for each new episode.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Just completed Episode 2 I haven't been this excited watching a show in a while.

Lol at the bad guy from Fast and the Furious V being in episode 2.

1709507575930.jpeg

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I really like how authentic and historical it feels. Disney may be the parent company, but it doesn't look or feel anything like a typical Disney series so far. Not once did I roll my eyes at dialogue or characters that seemed out of place for 1600 Japan and, like the above article suggests, it seems like a series that the Japanese may like as much as us Westerners. Speaking of dialogue, I was surprised and relieved that most of it is in Japanese. I sort of expected the show to be almost entirely in English and to be a bit bothered by that immersion breaker. You have to be OK with subtitles if you're going to watch this. As a history fan, I also liked the attention put on the Catholics and Protestants hating each other, since religious motives are often left out of historical movies and shows, even when conflicts were based on them.
From what I've seen this seems to be the case. Though finishing the second episode tonight I wonder how the Portuguese feel about it, especially when unlike with Japanese they're frequently 'talking' in Portuguese but it's just English coming out. Can't win them all I guess :sarcasm:

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad