Prospect Info: SHL champion Elias Pettersson | SHL scoring champion, playoff MVP, WC gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Huh? If you look at Miller's career overall. He is one of the best in this modern era, what are you even talking about
Sorry Billy i meant the poster not the goalie i should have clarified sorry

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Main problem I see is that most of these prospects have a habit of telling the Canucks where they are going to play.... Canucks management has no clue what so ever.......

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Hey it is what it is. With Bourdon passing a month earlier, a 23 year old centre in Kesler and a 27 year old HENRIK as your top 2 centres, with TYLER Myers and Erik Karlsson sitting right there drafting the horrid skating Hodgson was a brilliant choice
I don't think you even followed the Canucks back in 2018. Everyone wanted Hodgson at 10th.

Reactions: pomorick

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
He will be starting in Vancouver next year. Not just because of his talent but the needed marketing boost he will bring to the team. Not to mention the fact that this team can't score and if you are not scoring people start snoring. Question is how many rookies will the team take on? Probably a half dozen candidates that appear ready to take on an NHL role. Have to figure there might only be spots for 1 or 2 unless we go full Oiler.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He will be starting in Vancouver next year. Not just because of his talent but the needed marketing boost he will bring to the team. Not to mention the fact that this team can't score and if you are not scoring people start snoring. Question is how many rookies will the team take on? Probably a half dozen candidates that appear ready to take on an NHL role. Have to figure there might only be spots for 1 or 2 unless we go full Oiler.

They will definitely jam Juolevi onto the NHL squad too. A D+3 in the AHL for a 5th overall doesn't looked good, especially given his stagnating play in the OHL and Finnish league.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
They will definitely jam Juolevi onto the NHL squad too. A D+3 in the AHL for a 5th overall doesn't looked good, especially given his stagnating play in the OHL and Finnish league.

This statement is obviously trying to put a negative spin on Juolevi....he hasn't stagnated this year in Finland at all. Can you please show where this is the case?

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
This statement is obviously trying to put a negative spin on Juolevi....he hasn't stagnated this year in Finland at all. Can you please show where this is the case?

Well, you can start with the easiest assessment that was available to literally everyone on this board for the last 3 years running.

Look at his most recent WJC, then the year before, and then the year before that. Tell us what the trend is.

Look at his two OHL years. Tell us what the trend is.

Look at the fact that he received fringe #4-5 icetime on TPS.

Look at the fact that he was actively healthy-scratched for multiple games.

Look at the fact that he was dressed as a 7th dman on multiple occasions.

Look at another younger Finnish defenseman in that league who was also drafted in the top-5

Draw a comparison based on their relative roles and production.

That'd be a start, if you cared to put in the effort.

Reactions: Jyrki21

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Could see Pettersson, Juolevi, Gaudette, Demko, 1st round draft pick, and even Dahlen (less likely) in the lineup at times next year. Not saying they will, or even should, but we could see it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He had great start to Finnish season, 5-8-13 in 16 games. He's since gone 22 games for 2-4-6 and been sat at times. He's sitting about 9-11 in PPG for players on his team, depending on games played. Shades of London. Heiskanen, for example, is 3rd on his in PPG. Pettersson is tearing the shl apart.

Still we know until we see what he can do at NHL level, he can't be worse than last prospects camp, and we a year of pro hockey he might surprise.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Well, you can start with the easiest assessment that was available to literally everyone on this board for the last 3 years running.

Look at his most recent WJC, then the year before, and then the year before that. Tell us what the trend is.

Look at his two OHL years. Tell us what the trend is.

Look at the fact that he received fringe #4-5 icetime on TPS.

Look at the fact that he was actively healthy-scratched for multiple games.

Look at the fact that he was dressed as a 7th dman on multiple occasions.

Look at another younger Finnish defenseman in that league who was also drafted in the top-5

Draw a comparison based on their relative roles and production.

That'd be a start, if you cared to put in the effort.

Had a good WJC, got scratched twice, played 7th dman twice, ended up being in the top 2.

But of course none of that got mentioned in that way. But do continue.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Just want to make sure everyone understands there is ZERO chance he plays center in the NHL,

We STILL need another center to compliment Horvat and build the team around,

I think Boesser, Peterson, Joulevi, Virtanen, Demko whoever we take 5th overall this year (Who won't be a center, I guarantee it, this team is allergic to centers) anybody but Horvat, should be packaged up and traded for either a blue-chip center or the ability to draft one.

I know, the only bright spots these days are Boesser and Peterson....and I hate to be the guy who serves the wake-up call, but.....WAKE UP!

Teams built around wingers FAIL, you can't build a cup team with wingers as your cornerstone (Remember the WCE? Bure/Mogilny?) The only times this team has advanced to a cup final were the very brief instances where we had our center ice position locked down, something that has been RARE over the history of this team.

The great sulker himself ("I really don't WANT to be in Vancouver, but I will stay as long as they pay me") Alex Mogilny said it best when lecturing Pat Quin in the early 90's:

"Well, if you can't find a center then trade me for one, everyone knows hockey starts and ends with the center ice position"

Wingers who score lots of goals are like seals who do tricks, kinda fun to watch..but if you're expecting more, you'll be disappointed, that's all they know how to do.....if they could do more, they would have been centers...or Dolphins

Reactions: ginner classic

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
He had great start to Finnish season, 5-8-13 in 16 games. He's since gone 22 games for 2-4-6 and been sat at times. He's sitting about 9-11 in PPG for players on his team, depending on games played. Shades of London. Heiskanen, for example, is 3rd on his in PPG. Pettersson is tearing the shl apart.

Still we know until we see what he can do at NHL level, he can't be worse than last prospects camp, and we a year of pro hockey he might surprise.

I'd still like an explanation for what we saw last year.......I mean, 5th overall picks don't do what he did, he was awful to the point where he should have been sent home...there HAS to be some reason for it......Just BIZZARE

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Just want to make sure everyone understands there is ZERO chance he plays center in the NHL,

I think Boesser, Peterson, Joulevi, Virtanen, Demko whoever we take 5th overall this year (Who won't be a center, I guarantee it, this team is allergic to centers) anybody but Horvat, should be packaged up and traded for either a blue-chip center or the ability to draft one.

I know, the only bright spots these days are Boesser and Peterson....and I hate to be the guy who serves the wake-up call, but.....WAKE UP!

Teams built around wingers FAIL, you can't build a cup team with wingers as your cornerstone (Remember the WCE? Bure/Mogilny?) The only times this team has advanced to a cup final were the very brief instances where we had our center ice position locked down, something that has been RARE over the history of this team.

The great sulker himself ("I really don't WANT to be in Vancouver, but I will stay as long as they pay me") Alex Mogilny said it best when lecturing Pat Quin in the early 90's:

"Well, if you can't find a center then trade me for one, everyone knows hockey starts and ends with the center ice position"

Wingers who score lots of goals are like seals who do tricks, kinda fun to watch..but if you're expecting more, you'll be disappointed, that's all they know how to do.....if they could do more, they would have been centers...or Dolphins

why

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017

He's not playing center in the SHL,

Playing center in the NHL is the most challenging position of all, and if a guy isn't fulfilling that role in lesser leagues there's zero chance he does it in the worlds best one.

Think Druin, great playmaker, talented offensive guy, has a lot in common with Peterson actual, and Ehlers, which I think is a decent comparable, playmaking winger...NOT a center, the job is extremely demanding, offensive rovers don't make good centers and if you don't have a good center , the whole line goes the s**t

Matt Duchene is a great example of a guy who lines up at center ice, but that has ZERO clue as to how to play the position,

And you've probably noticed, any team he plays on goes to s**t, it's because you CAN'T have one of your top six centers not do the job properly, it KILLS a team.

Anyway, Peterson looks like a great offensive player, great, but he's shown nothing that demonstrates he can fulfill the responsibilities of a center iceman which go far beyond that, with a winger, that's pretty much the entire gig.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018

Understood!!

"Teams built around wingers fail"

I just need some clarification according to your wingers prose, after drafting a winger in the 1st round of 2014 and then a winger in the 1st round of 2015, drafting a d-man (Juolevi) in the 1st round of 2016 instead of ANOTHER winger like Tkachuk was the proper, clinical, textbook move and needs not to be so heavily scrutinized like we see here now on these boards? It needs to be understood?

What about defence? Do we need defence? And is defence more important than wingers?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
So when Pettersson is in his prime as a man you don't think he'll be any different than he is now which he has played some center and was fine? lol... He's pkaying against f***ing men in an undersized body... Give it time. He has all the makings of a franchise number one center. He's more cerebral than the Sedins. He'll figure it out. His vision and passing is insane. He'll be crafty and find a way. His body will fill out and he'll be able to lean on guys because imo he's a very strong guy for his size. He gets good body position and leverage. Not to mention how good he is defensively. Give me a break. To talk in absolutes that he wont be a center is insane...

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

It's not zero. But it is low and does not look promising. There are dozens and dozens of examples where players were full time at center in junior and still ended up at wing. In this case, he has clearly.played better on the wing and is currently played there. We should be projecting him as a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad