Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe it was already said in private was my point. Too much speculation. I'm not getting on a guy based on what he says to the media. What matters is what he said to the player, which we have zero idea about. I always assume if said in public, it was already dealt with directly.
Okay, now I get what you mean.

To me, I don't think coaches should throw players under the bus. Thats why even though I agree with what Keefe said, he really should not say that in public.

Reactions: wingman75

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The 17mins is fine but why did Calle played 3mins on the PP?
Those mins should had gone to Bert, Domi, Knies and Robbie.
Bert is the net front presence that JT isn't, but Keefe prefers JT, so Bert is redundant. Domi I would like to see. Other than that, all I can think of is Keefe is trying to replace Willy's QB, and Jarnkrok is maybe a bit better at that aspect than Knies or Robertson.

But don't try to understand Keefe - that way lies madness.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Bert is the net front presence that JT isn't, but Keefe prefers JT, so Bert is redundant. Domi I would like to see. Other than that, all I can think of is Keefe is trying to replace Willy's QB, and Jarnkrok is maybe a bit better at that aspect than Knies or Robertson.

Boucher runs the PP, do we know that Keefe is making all these PP decisions?

I'm sure there is a discussion, but it'd be weird to trust someone with the PP and then overrule them.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I'm sure there is a discussion, but it'd be weird to trust someone with the PP and then overrule them.
I think they want to put JT on PP1 bc he is the best faceoff man we have.

Now, I have no idea why Calle was on PP1. And I won't even try to understand that.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Now, I have no idea why Calle was on PP1. And I won't even try to understand that.

The faceoffs make sense.

Calle makes sense if they are trying to use him the same as Nylander just based on handedness.

Bertuzzi sucks and plays will die on his stick.

I'd rather Domi on PP1 if Nylander is out because he can move the puck better than Jarnkrok, but I don't think the difference is huge between them.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

You may attribute it to Boucher rather than Keefe if it makes you feel better. If it's Boucher making these calls and his boss can't see any better, they should both be fired.

Reactions: Jmo89

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I'm not sure the slightly better faceoff % is worth the dropoff in net front work and overall play.

I looked it up, and Matty actually had a better faceoff % on the PP than JT did this year (64 to 60).

Reactions: arso40

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The faceoffs make sense.

Calle makes sense if they are trying to use him the same as Nylander just based on handedness.

Bertuzzi sucks and plays will die on his stick.

I'd rather Domi on PP1 if Nylander is out because he can move the puck better than Jarnkrok, but I don't think the difference is huge between them.
Bert won't be use at Willie's spot on PP1.
If they are matching handedness, that coaching stuff is clueless.
Domi or Robbie on PP1 would be a lot different than having Calle who hadnt play a game over the past month.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Maybe it was already said in private was my point. Too much speculation. I'm not getting on a guy based on what he says to the media. What matters is what he said to the player, which we have zero idea about. I always assume if said in public, it was already dealt with directly.
I highly doubt that he had talked to Domi before the game. Go back to watch the whole section. The reporter asked him about the Leafs' penalty in game one. He recalled all 5 or 6 penalties (Domi, AM, McCabe ..)and gave his opinion on each. He thought he was LeBron James recalling a few plays after the NBA games. He is as smart as an ostrich.
Anyway, he looked like a high school math teacher who had no idea why all his students got an F in the provincial exam because he "taught" them well.:laugh:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I highly doubt that he had talked to Domi before the game. Go back to watch the whole section. The reporter asked him about the Leafs' penalty in game one. He recalled all 5 or 6 penalties (Domi, AM, McCabe ..)and gave his opinion on each. He thought he was LeBron James recalling a few plays after the NBA games. He is as smart as an ostrich.
Anyway, he looked like a high school math teacher who had no idea why all his students got an F in the provincial exam because he "taught" them well.:laugh:
Like I said, speculation.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Put Bertuzzi back on PP1 and have him create havoc in front of the net. Instead we got Tavares tipping the puck into Swayman's pads and Marner looking for the perfect pass. Bruins get it done even if its ugly.
Marner specifically isn't the problem. The problem is that Marner and Reilly are redundant. Pick one of them and put someone who'll shoot from the point on the other side. And yes, replace Tavares already.

There's a reason the PP looked 1000% better with Matthews-Marner-Nylander-Lilj-Bertuzzi; everyone has an obvious role and there's no real redundancies. Marner QB's, Lilj provides the point shot, Matthews and Nylander are hashmark shot options, Bertuzzi is the net-front presence. Instead we get Marner and Reilly passing to each other and Tavares not screening anybody, and it's even worse with Jarncock in Nylander's spot, because now EVERYONE knows Matthews is shooting...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Overdrive had it right yesterday when they said Keefe needs to be politicking for his team and not being “honest.” The guy has no coach game and has no idea how to use the media. His honesty and open book schtick is a liability.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Going to give Keefe some credit here - I thought for sure he was going to panic after the G1 loss, put 34 and 16 back together, and probably throw Brodie back into the lineup. Was surprised and pleased that he did not, and it paid off for him.

Pressure still firmly on him now - with last change against that Bruins blueline, especially with Peeke missing and Matt Gryz struggling, he really has to take advantage of that.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Can’t blame this on Dubas.

Cause Tre also gave him an extension.

This is higher up stuff.
Correct me if I am wrong; I believe this is his final year in the correct contract. A std move from a veteran GM for a Canadian market, especially in TOR, can you imagine when TOR has a losing streak, reports will have a field day with Keefe, it is worse than AM 70 goals or Nylander 100pts

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Going to give Keefe some credit here - I thought for sure he was going to panic after the G1 loss, put 34 and 16 back together, and probably throw Brodie back into the lineup. Was surprised and pleased that he did not, and it paid off for him.

Pressure still firmly on him now - with last change against that Bruins blueline, especially with Peeke missing and Matt Gryz struggling, he really has to take advantage of that.
we will see, maybe he's still in a state of shock after the G1 loss :laugh::laugh::laugh:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Is it wrong to be worried that now that we're back at home and Toronto gets last change Keefe will over-think this and hand Bruins a win or two with some really stupid decisions/matchups?

There's a reason why this team does better on the road in the playoffs (don't have the stats in front of me but it's true) and it's not because of the pressure, fans, etc.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Wasn't a fan of it, but I don't think the logic behind that move was too difficult to understand, to be honest.

They were replacing Willy's RH shot with Jarnkrok's RH shot, which enabled them to keep their PP formation the same, keep their setplays off faceoffs in play, as well as keep Matthews on the right to potentially utilize the one timer or the backdoor play that they've tried a few times during the first 2 games.

Would much prefer Bert, who feels due tonight, but I don't think using Jarnkrok in that manner is something that was so difficult and incomprehensible to make out.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Even though I'd welcome a change, I don't think he's going. He signed an extension last summer.

Cooper may be available next summer, so maybe then.
If they didn't extend him, his contract would be expiring on July 1st. I think he knows his job's on the line if he doesn't win at least two rounds this year, but doing that would underline it with a red Sharpie. In that situation, I GUARANTEE he'd be making stupid decisions right now, because he probably panics after Game 1 and starts falling back into his predictable patterns.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If they didn't extend him, his contract would be expiring on July 1st. I think he knows his job's on the line if he doesn't win at least two rounds this year, but doing that would underline it with a red Sharpie. In that situation, I GUARANTEE he'd be making stupid decisions right now, because he probably panics after Game 1 and starts falling back into his predictable patterns.
Perhaps you're right.

I mean, there is the idea that if this series goes south, it could be the straw for Shanahan. If that happens, then anything is on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad