Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I call BS.

The line has been fine. It doesn’t matter who shoots it in the net.

The concerns are the defense and ST’s.

My point stands - Keefe’s an idiot.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Great job Keefe.

1713360097177.png

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You just didn't (I suspect intentionally) go back far enough.

The 08-09 and 09-10 seasons, right after Paul Maurice handed the reins over to Ron Wilson, were both worse. The 88-89 season was the worst since they started keeping track in 77-78,

This season is only 39th of 46.

He also 'coached' them to their 12th best (of 46) two years ago.

He's still a terrible coach, but let's be fair.

Reactions: leafs in five

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
We had a great PP unit that was clicking with Liljegren-Marner-Matthews-Nylander-Bertuzzi but got broken up because Marner/Liljegren both got injured. Since both of them have returned to the lineup, Keefe and co haven't even bothered trying it again, even though they were converting at ~50% in February. Seems like we're just gonna roll into the playoffs with the same underachieving and predictable Rielly-Tavares-Matthews-Marner-Nylander unit.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
I don't blame Keefe entirely here. Mo's muffin of a shot is not a threat. They needed a shot this season to open up a bit more ice down low. It's so glaringly obvious what's needed.

If leafs go out first round I'm hoping Mo is one of the changes we see if ownership is really going to hold the teams feet to the fire.

Reactions: TopCheeseShotta

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
"In the last week, Willy has shown he is done with regular-season hockey... I am not concerned.
(Keefe post game)

This is what stupid sounds like. I'll be the first to admit I've said some dumb things in my life. But when it comes to having a case of foot-in-mouth disease Keefe takes the cake.

There's only three possibilities.

Keefe doesn't care what he says. Or Keefe is too stupid to realise he's dropping word turds all over the place. Or it's a dangerous combination of both.

Personally I think it's both.

Before criticizing Keefe I always try to see things his way. The only problem is I can't stick my head up my ass. To understand his thought process you need to be able to think like a moron first.

I don't know how they expect fans to gobble up statements like this without thinking this guy's as smart as a bag of hair.

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
"In the last week, Willy has shown he is done with regular-season hockey... I am not concerned.
(Keefe post game)

This is what stupid sounds like. I'll be the first to admit I've said some dumb things in my life. But when it comes to having a case of foot-in-mouth disease Keefe takes the cake.

There's only three possibilities.

Keefe doesn't care what he says. Or Keefe is too stupid to realise he's dropping word turds all over the place. Or it's a dangerous combination of both.

Personally I think it's both.

Before criticizing Keefe I always try to see things his way. The only problem is I can't stick my head up my ass. To understand his thought process you need to be able to think like a moron first.

I don't know how they expect fans to gobble up statements like this without thinking this guy's as smart as a bag of hair.
1713452293762.png

Can't wait to see Willie next year with Berube/Q behind the bench...oh it's going to be lovely.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It just blows my mind that in the moment on the bench, when he spoke to Matthews, his big inspiration was there was 34 seconds left in the game and how fitting that was, meant he was going to have a great playoff. What kind of useless tripe is that, no wonder he can't get the team up. 34 seconds and he didn't do it, wtf man?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
(Keefe post game)
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
LAST WEEK? LAST WEEK? Nylander's looked done with HOCKEY for a month you moron! And isn't it your job to do something when players look like they've checked out?
But honestly, the message that should be taken from Keefe's latest press conference is that Keefe only cares about one thing; the employment status of Sheldon Keefe. Hence why he's locked into "studying Boston early", because he KNOWS if they're out in round one he's fired. And he basically threw the last few games of the regular season for the playoffs. Now watch Boston outcoach his ass because for the longest time it looked like the Leafs were going to get Florida and so Keefe's strategies are all based on playing Florida...
The only series the Leafs have have won with him is a series where he had THREE MONTHS to plan for the opponent.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Will be interesting to see if Boosh comes out for Brodie to start the series.
I feel like Boosh was supposed to be much better than he has shown so far. Pretty unimpressed with him...I guess he seemed like such a revelation in his first go around because we had ZERO players that would body check anyone and now he seems timid compared to McCabe and Benny. Very disappointed with him...but Brodie scares me more.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I don't blame Keefe entirely here. Mo's muffin of a shot is not a threat. They needed a shot this season to open up a bit more ice down low. It's so glaringly obvious what's needed.

If leafs go out first round I'm hoping Mo is one of the changes we see if ownership is really going to hold the teams feet to the fire.
This is why for the short time they had Lilj on the PP this year, it was more dangerous; Lilj has a shot and he's willing to use it. PP unit 1 has two major issues Keefe doesn't seem to see; 1) Marner and Reilly are redundant, and the PP would function way better if one of them were bumped to PP 2 and replaced with a guy who can shoot (preferably Reilly, as Marner is a much more dangerous passer), and 2) Tavares doesn't go to the front of the net the way he used to, which was why Bert was more effective for the short time he was there; Bert's actually willing to fight for position in front and screen the goalie.
Ideally, the Leafs would use Matthews-Marner-Nylander-Bertuzzi-Lilj as their PP 1, but Keefe flat out refuses to do it for some reason. Instead, we get Matthews-Marner-Nylander-Tavares-Reilly, which the league has a textbook on how to shut down (let Marner and Reilly pass to each other and prevent the puck from getting to the others, and clog the middle).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
LAST WEEK? LAST WEEK? Nylander's looked done with HOCKEY for a month you moron! And isn't it your job to do something when players look like they've checked out?
But honestly, the message that should be taken from Keefe's latest press conference is that Keefe only cares about one thing; the employment status of Sheldon Keefe. Hence why he's locked into "studying Boston early", because he KNOWS if they're out in round one he's fired. And he basically threw the last few games of the regular season for the playoffs. Now watch Boston outcoach his ass because for the longest time it looked like the Leafs were going to get Florida and so Keefe's strategies are all based on playing Florida...
The only series the Leafs have have won with him is a series where he had THREE MONTHS to plan for the opponent.
And even then they only won because a bad angle shot that was going to miss the net by two feet deflected in off a defender's skate.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I don't mind Keefe. But I'm pretty worried that he'll revert back to combinations that don't work. Don't use Brodie too much, if he even gets in the lineup. Don't stack just 2 lines, the depth is what will tilt this series. Don't overuse the 4th line, they shouldn't be closing out games.

Here we go!

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
And even then they only won because a bad angle shot that was going to miss the net by two feet deflected in off a defender's skate.
If you're trying to imply that bounce goals like that somehow degrade the win because "luck", it's worth mentioning that our opponents this year score around 80% of their goals that way.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
But honestly, the message that should be taken from Keefe's latest press conference is that Keefe only cares about one thing; the employment status of Sheldon Keefe. Hence why he's locked into "studying Boston early", because he KNOWS if they're out in round one he's fired.

I wonder if Keefe had been studying game footage in between periods of the actual ongoing game they were still playing would they have won that game?

Or if Keefe provided words of inspiration to Matthews between periods would he have hit 70? How much watching of video is Keefe really gonna get done in the 20 minutes for each intermission anyway. He's known for months it was gonna be either Florida or Boston

But he's so unprepared for his opponent he has to ignore the game currently being played to worry about the one in three days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad