Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I'll never understand why this guy never tries to make marner and nylander line mates.

Perfect opportunity to experiment has risen but he's still not taking it. Nylander is not going to stay on the 3rd line with Holmberg as his C. It's such a waste of time to try this instead.

Marner and Nylander can actually stomp the entire league together if they end up clicking. Opponents head would be spinning. We may never get to see it because no coach took the time to build the chemistry.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Nylander-Tavares-Marner

We'd sweep through the playoffs assuming the remaining games allowed them to click.

Edit: You can actually drop Tavares to 3rd line for the Tavares-McMann 3rd line duo for your balanced scoring. They're amazing together in the bottom 6. Nylander and Marner can carry Holmberg if they end up clicking.

Last edited:

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Nylander-Marner is the best kept secret that may unfortunately always remain a secret.

Balancing is status quo in a watered down low cap league. I prefer the overload with top heavy group instead. Overload > balanced because overload can't be countered no matter what defensive strategy you choose. You just have to hope they don't score, or your goalie steals it (we have experience with this against the habs unfortunately....Top line let us down, but they still had the puck on a string in the offensive zone 99% of the series and Habs had no answer to get it back).

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Keefe has done a lot of good things here, and his overall record is indicative of that. If he could just stay out of his own way, we would have likely achieved more success by now.

He needs to get it through his thick skull that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
We have one occupying the head coaching position.
If only the regular season mattered, I would have no objection to this statement.
The FACT that he's had his lunch handed to him playoff after playoff and gotten outcoached badly leads me to question Keefe and his ability to coach in the postseason.

Career record:
.668% in regular season
.433% in the playoffs

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
"To have those guys (Matthews and Marner) on different lines presents some really good options and spreads out our scoring depth really well. So, we'll give it a look," coach Sheldon Keefe told reporters after Friday's practice.

Narrator: He didn’t.

Reactions: OddyOh

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Did they replace Keefe? I must have missed that.
No, they haven't. They might though in the future.

If only the regular season mattered, I would have no objection to this statement.
The FACT that he's had his lunch handed to him playoff after playoff and gotten outcoached badly leads me to question Keefe and his ability to coach in the postseason.

Career record:
.668% in regular season
.433% in the playoffs
He hasn't coached well. Obviously, his teams haven't had much success, but he is still an NHL coach.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Sure, but why is Kampf going to cover a man Boosh already has. The D is fluid here, Boosh isn't really out of position he's covering the man behind the net, Brodie is in no man land and Kampf doesn't recognize the play. Anyways, Keefe shouldn't have that line out there and his excuse of not trusting the third line, well you constructed it that way lol.
It's actually worse than that. Kampf isn't trying to cover anyone, he's just puck watching. And he never ONCE turns to look at where his man (Point) is, which lets Point slip in front of the net alone and wait until someone gets him the puck. And I honestly don't know what Brodie is doing on this sequence at all, except attempting to double team a guy who had the puck for all of 2 seconds. Brodie's position means Tampa probably has another open winger somewhere.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
8lut9y.jpg

Reactions: LeafSteel

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
There is no galaxy braining it for Keefe.

That would imply he has a brain. When they first announced his hiring I thought the Leafs were getting the Cowardly Lion as head coach. Turns out it was the Scarecrow.

The Tin Man is Captain.

The whole team is a blend of Dorothy's companions. No heart, no courage, no brains. With Keefe the leader in that regard.

Galaxy braining it for Keefe just means doing dumb things.

Like putting Marner on defense. Or the short lived five forward power play. When he's really desperate he might go crazy and put Tavares on Matthews wing.

Respect in the handshake lineup is about all Leafs fans can expect with genius coaching like that.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sure, he has been.

We need a better coach if we replace Keefe not a lateral move.
When we replace Keefe, we are virtually guaranteed to have a better coach. A lateral move would just exascerbate the disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad