Rumor: Sheahan to Pittsburgh?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It sounds like DP is expendable because the Pens have their 6 regular D set, and with guys like Ruhwedel that can fill in at #7.

Sounds like DP never showed much at the NHL level and now that he's subject to waivers, he's expendable. He also still might have some upside and could benefit from a change of scenery. What better place to get a shot than a team with other dmen of questionable NHL talent...

Pens projected roster:

Sheary - Crosby - Hörnqvist
S.Wilson - Malkin - Rust
Guentzel --- XXX --- Kessel
Hagelin - Rowney - Reaves
(Kuhnhackl --- XXX --- Archibald)

Dumoulin - Letang
Määttä - Hunwick
Cole - Schultz
(7. Ruhwedel)
(8. Pouliot)

Murray
(Niemi)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It sounds like DP is expendable because the Pens have their 6 regular D set, and with guys like Ruhwedel that can fill in at #7.

Sounds like DP never showed much at the NHL level and now that he's subject to waivers, he's expendable. He also still might have some upside and could benefit from a change of scenery. What better place to get a shot than a team with other dmen of questionable NHL talent...

I get why he is expendable but don't get why Kenny would want him (apart from a change of scenery experiment). Slow brain and slow feet are not a great combo for NHL success.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I get why he is expendable but don't get why Kenny would want him (apart from a change of scenery experiment). Slow brain and slow feet are not a great combo for NHL success.

Does he have slow feet now a days?

Cause man, that kid could skate when he was 17 playing at the WJC.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

It doesn't make sense to me either. However, the sources of these DP for Sheahan rumors claim the Red Wings are looking for "a young defensemen".

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ive always been a fan of sheahan too. I remember being convinced he'd be our 2C someday when he was pacing for 40pts in his rookie season and had a similar sophomore season. I thought he had more offensive potential to unlock.

Unfortunately he regressed hard after babcock left =\

Agreed. I was definitely hoping he'd become a dependable 40 point guy.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Does he have slow feet now a days?

Cause man, that kid could skate when he was 17 playing at the WJC.

He always struck me as a bit slow for his size at the NHL level (or perhaps just slow to react), though I am sure there are others around here who have watched more of him than I in Pitt.

Then again, if he was really good, they wouldn't be taking Riley for him.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
And actually on the topic. I've always been Sheahan's biggest (only?) advocate. I'd have to imagine trading him after last season will get a majorly disappointing return

Nah, there was a small group of us this time last year predicting he could get 20 goals if he used his wrister more......

After going 81 games without a goal you gotta think he's busted his ass this summer. The he goes to the Pens and centers Kessel on a 3rd line? Yeah, I think the chance of a rebound season is high.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Trading Sheahan for a spare part and likely a middle round pick to keep a kid who seems like he doesn't even want to be here is a stupid move.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Trading Sheahan for a spare part and likely a middle round pick to keep a kid who seems like he doesn't even want to be here is a stupid move.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself in presuming they are related (apart from Kenny not wanting to get stuck without either at this point). If Sheahan was moved at the deadline for picks and a take back would you really be shocked?

Reactions: avssuc

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He always struck me as a bit slow for his size at the NHL level (or perhaps just slow to react), though I am sure there are others around here who have watched more of him than I in Pitt.

Then again, if he was really good, they wouldn't be taking Riley for him.

Slow to react is a good way to put it. People use the word lackadaisical to describe his play, I don't know if he just prefers to play the game slower (not meant to be an insult towards him, some players do well when they slow down the game) or he doesn't have any urgency.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think you are getting ahead of yourself in presuming they are related (apart from Kenny not wanting to get stuck without either at this point). If Sheahan was moved at the deadline for picks and a take back would you really be shocked?

I'd rather them wait to then anyway. Having to talk a spare part and probably crappy pick to free up cap space could likely be a net loss when things finally shake out.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Hope Sheahan resurrects his career in Pitt, if this is true. Ideally to the point that the Pens resign him before Holland has a chance to $4m/5yr him.

Selling low sucks, but the dude is just not going to be a part of any version of this team that actually ends up contending for anything, and if he is, it's as a spare part bottom 6er who could almost certainly be replaced by 100 equivalent FAs every single year. Nothing of value lost, as far as the Wings are concerned.

I can't imagine, in any case, that this materially affects KH's offer to AA, especially given that the KHL appears to be an obvious bluff. I have a hard time believing AA will squeeze another penny out of the front office.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I actually think Sheahans horrible season on a terrible team, combined with the growing pains and mystery that surround it, may be leading to a situation where his trade value at the moment is about as good as it will get, unless he develops into some kind of 55 pt player.

I don't think he's athletic enough to be anything more than a role player, and I would even argue that his skill set is barely fitting for a center, so I can see the Red Wings being comfortable moving on and taking a wild card in return. And Pittsburgh sounds like it'd be a great fit for him to cement a role in the league.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Selling low sucks, but the dude is just not going to be a part of any version of this team that actually ends up contending for anything, and if he is, it's as a spare part bottom 6er who could almost certainly be replaced by 100 equivalent FAs every single year. Nothing of value lost, as far as the Wings are concerned.

The selling low probably has a lot more to do with the cap issues and/or the Pens desperate need for warm bodies at 3C and 4C, than it does with his future on the team. I would bet that if they didn't face serious cap issues forcing a move after eventually signing AA, they would happily give Sheahan another shot and address his future at the TDL or when his contract is up. Although if his trade value goes up, he likely moves away from being traded and Holland instead would lock him up for the foreseeable future...

The middle 6 center spot has been a revolving door for the past 5 years for the Wings, so I'm sure they would rather have Sheahan rebound and (affordably) fit into that spot than have to take another stab at a Stephen Weiss or Brad Richards on the UFA market.

The unfortunate thing is that if Sheahan does go to the Pens for a paltry sum, does well, and ultimately locks down the 3C spot... It's going to be another horrible dark spot on Ken Hollands legacy of inability to manage assets and contracts in the salary cap era. And even though some fans have the pitchforks out scapegoating Sheahan and wanting him gone for "whatever they can get", they'll get those same pitchforks out against Holland when Sheahan succeeds in Pittsburgh or any other team...

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The middle 6 center spot has been a revolving door for the past 5 years for the Wings, so I'm sure they would rather have Sheahan rebound and (affordably) fit into that spot than have to take another stab at a Stephen Weiss or Brad Richards on the UFA market.

I think the error is in thinking that you have to take a shot at those kinds of guys to fill the spot on an already bad team. For a team that's, in all likelihood, several years from really contending, the team should stop being in a rush to address spots that don't matter yet. Sign a guy like Desharnais for 1yr/$1m and accept that while he's not good enough to be a long term solution, he's certainly good enough to play in the short term and give roster cover to younger players (and he won't be making enough to matter, if the younger players are really playing well). We need to stop signing FAs like we're actually winning enough games for them to matter.

The unfortunate thing is that if Sheahan does go to the Pens for a paltry sum, does well, and ultimately locks down the 3C spot... It's going to be another horrible dark spot on Ken Hollands legacy of inability to manage assets and contracts in the salary cap era. And even though some fans have the pitchforks out scapegoating Sheahan and wanting him gone for "whatever they can get", they'll get those same pitchforks out against Holland when Sheahan succeeds in Pittsburgh or any other team...

I don't disagree - in some cases KH is doomed if he does or doesn't. But then, it's an IBB. Everyone will never be happy. I'd rather not be happy because the team dropped an apparent anchor and someone else polished it better than we could, than not be happy because the team couldn't stand to lose yet another anchor.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I actually think Sheahans horrible season on a terrible team, combined with the growing pains and mystery that surround it, may be leading to a situation where his trade value at the moment is about as good as it will get, unless he develops into some kind of 55 pt player.

I don't think he's athletic enough to be anything more than a role player, and I would even argue that his skill set is barely fitting for a center, so I can see the Red Wings being comfortable moving on and taking a wild card in return. And Pittsburgh sounds like it'd be a great fit for him to cement a role in the league.

Good post but bolded is the part I disagree with. "Thrive" is probably the wrong word but Sheahan had his best seasons at center (with Gus and Tatar). Now last year thrown in as a 2nd line winger...oh my dumpster fire. He looked so confused IMO.

That's why the the Helm contract is even more strange considering the logjam of other centers (Glendening, Larkin, and Sheahan). It will be counted as a failure if he was to be traded but there seems to be no logical place on the team at this point.

As much as I complain it would sting to see him go.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Good post but bolded is the part I disagree with. "Thrive" is probably the wrong word but Sheahan had his best seasons at center (with Gus and Tatar). Now last year thrown in as a 2nd line winger...oh my dumpster fire. He looked so confused IMO.

That's why the the Helm contract is even more strange considering the logjam of other centers (Glendening, Larkin, and Sheahan). It will be counted as a failure if he was to be traded but there seems to be no logical place on the team at this point.

I think Sheahan will have a very solid season with a team like Pitts. He can play his defensive center game, chip in the occasional goal, and not have the offensive demands placed on him. He is a guy that's solid for a contending team, but not really helpful on a lottery team. Plus Helm is a much better bang for his buck guy as a true 3rd line center. Clears the space, gets us a pick, gives us a chance on a young dman.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

Yep, agree for sure that he's played better at center for us. And for sure his only value on the trade market would be at center for a team like Pittsburgh.

He's just a confusing player type to me. He's a decent skater, but doesn't have close to selke level range/coverage of the ice, he doesn't create space for linemates as a puck carrier/playmaker and is at his best low in the zone, in tight quarters, utilizing his size and hands. To me that just sounds like a winger. I don't know if we could go back in time and find a different solution to our lack of depth at center, if he wouldn't have slotted in better as a Bertuzzi type lug on the wing and pp, as opposed to fat Filppula.

But yeah, that confusing mix does make him seem like a perfect fit for a burly bottom 6 center on a cup contender, so I'm hoping Pittsburgh jumps at it. I'm not smart enough to figure out why most reports have this trade linked with AA though.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think Sheahan will have a very solid season with a team like Pitts. He can play his defensive center game, chip in the occasional goal, and not have the offensive demands placed on him. He is a guy that's solid for a contending team, but not really helpful on a lottery team. Plus Helm is a much better bang for his buck guy as a true 3rd line center. Clears the space, gets us a pick, gives us a chance on a young dman.

He'll get great coaching in Pittsburgh, which is something he hasn't had since Babs left town. Under Babcock I expected him to have better offensive production than Abdelkader. He's probably the poster child for how bad the team has struggled under Blashill.

He'd be a great pickup for the Pens, big body, can hold his own in the faceoff dot, really advanced two-way game and is capable of potting 20 goals. Not saying he will, simply the ability is there. I've never viewed him as a playmaker so I don't know that he's going to be an assist machine. If Pittsburgh and Toronto have inquired about him that's all you really need to know. He's valued by organizations that are obviously very good or trending to be very good.

You aren't going to get anything for him but that's pretty much par for the course under Holland over the past 4 or so years.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Smart plan by Pittsburgh. I hope we get something decent in return. I know Sheahan had an incredibly rough campaign, but I still like him as a third line center in this league.

I do think this would be ideal for him heading into the final year of a contract to be in Pittsburgh in their system with their surrounding talent. They also lost both their net-front guys on the PP.

Hornqvist is still around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad