Rumor: Sheahan to Pittsburgh?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
As long as Larkin sticks at center, I agree. But I actually still think Sheahan can be a solid 3rd line center in the NHL.
Even if Larkin doesn't stick, AA could still develop into a #3C and Helm can play that role when healthy. Then there's Rasmussen coming. I doubt we'd sit around here anytime soon lamenting the loss of Sheahan.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If Sheahan went to the Pens, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a decent rebound like Daley and Justin Schultz had after going there.

The fact that he's still on a bridge deal with one more summer of RFA status likely makes him valuable to some teams. What that value is, is the real question. In the Penguins case, maybe a 3rd round pick? I would imagine that with a decent season, he'd fetch much more at the TDL since he won't exactly be a rental.

Being a big center that can kill penalties and is at least competent on FO's, Sheahan will certainly get quite a few more chances to stick in the NHL if it doesn't work out in Detroit.

That being said, I still think the Red Wings see him at least rounding out to be a serviceable 3C. I would bet that if his production in 17/18 goes somewhere between (or even slightly better) than what it was in 14/15 and 15/16, Holland signs him up at an affordable hit with at least 3 years of term.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Who cares who our centres are at this point for beyond developing Larkin in that role it dosent matter at all.

Hell they can dress Ericsson as a centre, the outcome will stay the same and the goal.. the goal of losing will remain intact.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Sheahan went to the Pens, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a decent rebound like Daley and Justin Schultz had after going there.

That's definitely possible and probable.

At Penguins Sheahan be will surrounded by better player because of enormously better depth they have. He would surely score more.

Also, they lost Kunitz which was one their net-front precences and hasn't replaced him with anybody. I see a spot for Sheahan on those duties for them.

He would fit on Pens plans, but doesn't fit on our plans. =trade.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That's definitely possible and probable.

At Penguins Sheahan be will surrounded by better player because of enormously better depth they have. He would surely score more.

Also, they lost Kunitz which was one their net-front precences and hasn't replaced him with anybody. I see a spot for Sheahan on those duties for them.

He would fit on Pens plans, but doesn't fit on our plans. =trade.

They wouldn't use Sheahan as a net front guy. Or rather, they shouldn't. He's an ill fit for that position.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
If we wait and see, hope he doesn't have another horrible regular season or suffers an injury before the TDL. I don't think he'll as good as to be able to compensate for last year. Everyone is just waiting to see if he'll be terrible again.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'd take anything for him at this point. Dump him & get AA signed.

Ideally I would be happy if they can get a late 1st or early 2nd. Basically about where he was originally drafted. I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny could get that kind of return for a young big bodied center who's clearly snakebitten.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They wouldn't use Sheahan as a net front guy. Or rather, they shouldn't. He's an ill fit for that position.

They have one of the best in Hörnquist. But after him, there's only midget wingers.

Kunitz was used at 2nd PP, and I think Sheahan could fit there.

Fehr was left unsigned.

Sundqvist was lost on expansion draft.

Cullen signed to Minnesota. Bonino signed to Nashville.

That leaves only Reaves and Kuhnhackl as bigger guys. But either has never been a PP player, mostly 4th line grinders.

Other guys are 6'0 or smaller.

There's no option for 2nd PP net-front (Kunitz role) and the 3rd line center (Bonino role) is missing. Find a better trade piece to match BOTH Penguins needs....

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't think KH is going to offer more money to AA. Let alone trade Sheahan to do so.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think KH is going to offer more money to AA. Let alone trade Sheahan to do so.

Trading Sheahan for picks and signing AA for 2.108M, will put us 0.000 under the cap with full Franzen caphit usage. Sproul waived, Bertuzzi and Svechnikov up.

Akader - Zeta - Mantha
Tatar - Nielsen - Gus
Helm - Larkin - Athanasiou
Bertuzzi - Glendening - Svechnikov
(Witkowski)

DeKeyser - Daley
Kronwall - Green
Ericsson - Ouellet/Jensen

Howard/Mrazek

22-man roster, but 23-man is pretty much impossible to build anyhow under the cap.

In general, Sheahan leaving would open both, the salary cap space with ~even numbers, and a roster spot for AA.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Trading Sheahan for picks and signing AA for 2.108M, will put us 0.000 under the cap with full Franzen caphit usage. Sproul waived, Bertuzzi and Svechnikov up.

Akader - Zeta - Mantha
Tatar - Nielsen - Gus
Helm - Larkin - Athanasiou
Bertuzzi - Glendening - Svechnikov
(Witkowski)

DeKeyser - Daley
Kronwall - Green
Ericsson - Ouellet/Jensen

Howard/Mrazek

22-man roster, but 23-man is pretty much impossible to build anyhow under the cap.

In general, Sheahan leaving would open both, the salary cap space with ~even numbers, and a roster spot for AA.

I think he could trade Sheahan after AA is signed, but I was saying I don't think will change his offer.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If he would score 2 goals with our system and with our players, what's the reason of keeping him?

Sometimes you have to lose a trade to move on. Open a spot for somebody else.

Open a spot for who? There's nobody. That's why trading sheahan would be a bad idea. Larkin being a third line center isn't a good idea.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
We also don't appear to have much leverage in any deal, considering our cap circumstances, so I doubt the return will be what we could probably get at the TDL or some other later point.

Keep Sheahan, try to get him to run up 12-15 goals again, and then look to deal him if you're going to deal him. Find some other way to fit Athanasiou's cap hit.

I'm not normally one to say this kind of thing but Watch Sheahan follow up his absurdly unlucky season with an unsustainably lucky season. Holland will obviously lock him up with term at that point lol.

In general, I agree with conseus that it's a poor time to trade him. I'd imagine the same people calling to trade him now will complain about Holland's asset manage a year or two from now when Riley's rebounded to the level of a solid #7 forward.

I think if you trade him now you have got to have performance based conditions. For example Sheahan for a 3rd which turns into a 2nd + 3rd if he cracks 15 goals and plays top 9 minutes.

Nielsen shouldn't be getting third line minutes

The ideal usage would be to deploy 3 second line centres and a 4th line centre. Z, Nielsen and Larkin Splitting 85% of the minutes and Glendening cleaning up the rest. (Im just thinking general ice time distribution and not really factoring in special teams because we all know Glendening will eat up a lot extra time on the PK)

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not normally one to say this kind of thing but Watch Sheahan follow up his absurdly unlucky season with an unsustainably lucky season. Holland will obviously lock him up with term at that point lol.

In general, I agree with conseus that it's a poor time to trade him. I'd imagine the same people calling to trade him now will complain about Holland's asset manage a year or two from now when Riley's rebounded to the level of a solid #7 forward.

I think if you trade him now you have got to have performance based conditions. For example Sheahan for a 3rd which turns into a 2nd + 3rd if he cracks 15 goals and plays top 9 minutes.

well, that's a ray of sunshine to start the day, Sirloin. :laugh:

I like the idea of a trade with conditionals attached, if we're moving Sheahan. I've never been the biggest fan of the guy, but I can't imagine that he's going to be a 2 goal a year player for his career. He's just better than that.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

This.

With limited cap space and no guarantee for a worthwhile replacement on the UFA market, I would bet Holland is hoping Sheahan has a rebound so he can lock him up cheap. Probably in similar fashion to when he gave that bonehead 4 year extension to Kindl.

On the 2nd point, I do agree that a Sheahan trade for "whatever Holland can get" would likely be damned if you do and damned if you don't. Sheahan is likely to have a better season next year, whether in Detroit or somewhere else. On the Pens, if Sheahan skates between Hagelin and Kessel with actual quality puck moving dmen behind him, he'd easily put up similar numbers to Bonino and then sign up to some affordable term with them. Meanwhile in Detroit, Holland would be scrambling to overpay Filppula or Matt Stajan next July, which will be lamented by the same fans that begged for him to get "whatever he can get" for Sheahan. Then that "whatever he can get" pick becomes a marginal depth player in GR for a few years with no impact what so ever.

So the Sheahan situation is a double edged sword for Holland. If Kenny trades him now, he likely improves upon his 2G 1.8% season and ends up being more valuable to his new team than "whatever Holland can get". This will put RW fans in a fit over asset management/etc. On the other hand, if Holland keeps him, he improves on that season here, prompting Holland to give him a mild raise for a decent term. This will then put RW fans in a fit over having another longer term contract on the books.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The ideal usage would be to deploy 3 second line centres and a 4th line centre. Z, Nielsen and Larkin Splitting 85% of the minutes and Glendening cleaning up the rest. (Im just thinking general ice time distribution and not really factoring in special teams because we all know Glendening will eat up a lot extra time on the PK)

At last season it was:

Even strength:

Zetterberg 16:41
Nielsen 12:49
Sheahan/Larkin/Helm (11:58/13:56/12:53) = 12:55 on average
Glendening 10:33

If Zetterberg and Glendening give both ~one minute away it would be reasonable:

Zeta 15:30
Larkin 14:00
Nielsen 14:00
Glendening 9:30

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Sheahan could be a useful player on a deep team like Pittsburgh, hopefully if he is moved the Wings get something decent for him. I understand you're not always going to hit on a pick in the 20s (or even top 10) but it would be nice if some of these first rounders were big time impact players eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad