Value of: Shea Weber to TOR

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
You've tried dumping Weber on the Leafs and the Jets on this board and have been told no, go bother another fan base.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Went to say both 4th liners but at this point in time one is playing 4th line while the other is playing on the 1st line tonight.Care to take a guess on who is playing on what line.
Also one has 4 pts and is a -7 on the 2nd best team in the league while the other has 1 pt and is a -4 on the 2nd worst team in the league. Care to guess who is who.
So you're saying Galchenyuk is bad and Montreal is bad? Ok

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I have seen an offer of Brown, Liljegren and a 1st for Weber with some redemption. I thinks its pretty fair. Toronto can even add Lupul's contract to make things easier cap-wise (well at least for this year).

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I have seen an offer of Brown, Liljegren and a 1st for Weber with some redemption. I thinks its pretty fair. Toronto can even add Lupul's contract to make things easier cap-wise (well at least for this year).

That's not fair.....no one would do such a deal. I don't know how to rationalize it any differently. Liljegren is almost untouchable as far as prospects go- unless the return is an analogous young d-man prospect/player.

We really don't want Weber if it's going to cost a premium. That is easily, a premium. You might get Brown and a 2nd at best (without Liljegren) if you retain on the full cap hit on the last few years of his deal (as insurance if he doesn't retire beforehand, it may end up being nothing) + significant retention on his contract starting now.

Otherwise, Weber with zero retention doesn't hold much value to us. He'd have value as an empty wallet asset like Marleau but zero core pieces or high picks.

And why do people keep throwing around Lupul or Horton's contract like they are relevant cap-dumps....they are on LTIR, we don't have any incentive to dump either really.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That's not fair.....no one would do such a deal. I don't know how to rationalize it any differently. Liljegren is almost untouchable as far as prospects go- unless the return is an analogous young d-man prospect/player.

We really don't want Weber if it's going to cost a premium. That is easily, a premium. You might get Brown and a 2nd at best (without Liljegren) if you retain on the full cap hit on the last few years of his deal (as insurance if he doesn't retire beforehand, it may end up being nothing) + significant retention on his contract starting now.

Otherwise, Weber with zero retention doesn't hold much value to us. He'd have value as an empty wallet asset like Marleau but zero core pieces or high picks.

And why do people keep throwing around Lupul or Horton's contract like they are relevant cap-dumps....they are on LTIR, we don't have any incentive to dump either really.

And Montreal doesn't want to trade their only elite dman for a 3rd liner and two unknowns (Liljegren isn't yet a surefire top 4 dman and that first is likely a low one). That trade would have a big lose-lose potential.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
As my two cents in this discussion, if we're dealing Weber to Toronto, I want Zaitsev as a centrepiece in return. If there's no deal to be made around that base (which there likely isn't), I'd just rather keep Weber and his albatross contract.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
And Montreal doesn't want to trade their only elite dman for a 3rd liner and two unknowns (Liljegren isn't yet a surefire top 4 dman and that first is likely a low one). That trade would have a big lose-lose potential.
That 3rd liner would be your top scorer this year. Also his 20 goals last year would have put him 3rd in goal scoring on mtl. Brown is a beast I don't want him traded. He can slide up the lineup 1st to 4th line. He's extremely versatile. We'll keep him. You keep Weber.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
more like a total different sport.
Ok...cool. I guess this thread should be closed then. Leafs don't have the pieces to acquire the bestest player in the whole widest world.:thumbu:

Oh, and his contract is still a steaming pile....

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That 3rd liner would be your top scorer this year. Also his 20 goals last year would have put him 3rd in goal scoring on mtl. Brown is a beast I don't want him traded. He can slide up the lineup 1st to 4th line. He's extremely versatile. We'll keep him. You keep Weber.

Paul Byron scored over 20 goals last year. Would you call him more than a 3rd liner?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kapanen must be better than what i've seen of him so far. Cause that's an awful trade for us.

Suffered a major injury in the AHL last year and was still point per game. Scored a huge double overtime goal for the Leafs in the playoffs while on the 4th line.

He'd be a welcome addition to your team. Either way I am not gonna debate it too much, would be my offer for Montreal, if it's not good enough they can enjoy being in mediocrity.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Read this thread from start to finish, I think this is the consensus offer:

1st, Kapanen one of Nielsen/Carrick/Bracco and a few cap dumps that end after this season for Weber at 25% retained

This gives the habs a kickstart to their rebuild with a great center prospect, a 1st and some complimentary pieces while getting rid of a pretty big contract that could get ugly at the end of it.

I think this fits a need for both teams in giving Habs some solid pieces, but more importantly a center with good upside. For the Leafs, they FINALLY get a number 1 defenseman who can play with Reilly, but would NOT at all be expected to shoulder the load and he has an excellent shot compared to the muffins we currently have on our PP.

The Leafs don't empty the pantry to get Weber and they pretty much become cup favorites as they get a top 20 defenseman.

I'm sure fans on both sides will disagree with this, but that's usually how you know you've got a good trade ;).

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
No, it starts with Montreal retaining a **** load of Money.
This. The Leafs have Hainsey right now why would they want Weber? That was one of the dumbest trades ever by Bergevin.
Leafs could use a D upgrade, sure. But what they really need is the kids to get used to systems play. They're playing checkers when they should be playing Chess. Having the tortoise-like Weber will not help that.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This. The Leafs have Hainsey right now why would they want Weber? That was one of the dumbest trades ever by Bergevin.
Leafs could use a D upgrade, sure. But what they really need is the kids to get used to systems play. They're playing checkers when they should be playing Chess. Having the tortoise-like Weber will not help that.

o_O

Yes, I understand Weber's contract being untradeable but Hainsey isn't even close to Weber's level of play in any area of the game like come on.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad