Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Great piece on Weber by Arpon Basu in the Athletic today.

Makes me sad that some Hab “fans” can’t appreciate what a great person player and teammate Weber is. Apparently everyone in hockey knows this except some Habs fan who can’t get over a trade that he had no control over.

It is too bad, and I really do like Weber and what he can bring.

It’s unfortunate we didn’t find a way to get him and KEEP Subban..

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It is too bad, and I really do like Weber and what he can bring.

As much as it might sound, I don't dislike Weber at all. I've compared him to Rob Blake constantly. I don't think that's a slight at all.

My problem has everything to do with the opinion of others on Weber and what Weber represents in backwards hockey culture. I don't believe he's the kind of player you want in 2018 to be your #1 defenceman. He's the guy you want to be your #2-#3, or have two or three guys at a similar skill level to split duties. But he's not a guy you should expect to front your blueline if you want a Cup.

If there's one minute to go in an elimination playoff game and I need a right side defenceman on the ice, Weber is one of the last guys who we'd consider a "top defenceman" I would want out there. Is he a good defenceman? Sure. But I want a guy out there who represents where the game is and where it's going, not a guy who represents what it used to be.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
If there's one minute to go in an elimination playoff game and I need a right side defenceman on the ice, Weber is one of the last guys who we'd consider a "top defenceman" I would want out there. Is he a good defenceman? Sure. But I want a guy out there who represents where the game is and where it's going, not a guy who represents what it used to be.

If you had to kill time and hope the opposing team doesn't score, Weber is your guy. But if you need a goal, yeah he's probably not your guy. Though, on a 6v5, you might like his shot from the blueline but I would like shots from closer to the faceoff circles like Josi usually does (Weber scored like that this season)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It should also be known that fans under-appreciate Byron Froese, who is also great teammate.

The guys is very friendly, generous, smells very nice and he wears funny socks with Peanuts characters on them.
Not a Professional Club. It's an Human Ressources Team.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Great piece on Weber by Arpon Basu in the Athletic today.

Makes me sad that some Hab “fans” can’t appreciate what a great person player and teammate Weber is. Apparently everyone in hockey knows this except some Habs fan who can’t get over a trade that he had no control over.

All those things are true. But he's 33. He may be a great person and player in his prime. But what will he be able to do over the next 4 years, from the ages of 33 to 36, in the NHL of 2018? We'll see. I just hope he'll be healthy.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
All those things are true. But he's 33. He may be a great person and player in his prime. But what will he be able to do over the next 4 years, from the ages of 33 to 36, in the NHL of 2018? We'll see. I just hope he'll be healthy.

Well so far he’s given absolutely no indication of slowing down at alliance joining the Habs and has done all as advertised making the hate on for him even more uncomprehendable. Given his style of play, it doesn’t look like he’s going to slow down anytime soon.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
As much as it might sound, I don't dislike Weber at all. I've compared him to Rob Blake constantly. I don't think that's a slight at all.

My problem has everything to do with the opinion of others on Weber and what Weber represents in backwards hockey culture. I don't believe he's the kind of player you want in 2018 to be your #1 defenceman. He's the guy you want to be your #2-#3, or have two or three guys at a similar skill level to split duties. But he's not a guy you should expect to front your blueline if you want a Cup.

Splitting hairs buddy.

Weber/ Rob Blake "with a minute to go" are as good as just about anybody else.

Only guys on the planet that knock Shea Weber are guy who loke Subban more. Because they were traded for each other.

If Weber had been traded to the Sens for Karlsson all the Subban fans would not be picking a part his every step under a magnifying glass.

Elite Hall of fame number one Dman. Weber and Subban.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Well so far he’s given absolutely no indication of slowing down at alliance joining the Habs and has done all as advertised making the hate on for him even more uncomprehendable. Given his style of play, it doesn’t look like he’s going to slow down anytime soon.

I don't think many people dislike Weber's game in his prime. I think it's giving up Subban's 4 prime years 27-30 for 31 year old Weber that people have a problem with. Weber was good for us when he was 31. Last year he played on a bum foot, it's not possible to evaluate his play in that circumstance. Let's see what he can do from 33 to 36. Word out of Nashville is he was too slow and imobile in their first round exit his last year there. I'll wait to see what he does next year and the years to come to see how valuable he is to this team. Hopefully he won't be surrounded by Alzner, Sclemko, Benn, Davidson, and Morrow type players. Juulsen, Mete, Reilly, and Lernout already look better and they should progress.

Reactions: Tighthead

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Wonder why they didn't just do the surgery 3 months ago? Seems like a gong show in the medical department around here, too many opinions.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I feel like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.

"Nice guy? I don't give a ****. Good father? **** you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - close! You think this is abuse?"

Your point would actually make sense if Shea Weber wasn't a performant player. He's our best skater. So your point sucks.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Splitting hairs buddy.

Only guys on the planet that knock Shea Weber are guy who loke Subban more. Because they were traded for each other.

If Weber had been traded to the Sens for Karlsson all the Subban fans would not be picking a part his every step under a magnifying glass.

Is it 5 on 5 and we're down a goal? There's many dmen I'd rather have on the ice than Shea Weber, and some of them I don't even prefer as players to Shea. The opposition gets scored on less on average when he's on the ice.

And Weber being inducted into the hall of fame would just be the latest example in HOF norm erosion. Might as well start using tsn polls to induct people if we're going to admit cupless, individual awardless players on the basis of their reputation.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I agree about the last minute point. I'd want someone like Subban or Karlsson or Burns who can turn it on a dime and create offensive plays out of thin air. Shea Weber can't do that. But if you've got 2-3 Shea Weber on your team, you have - by far - the best defense in the league.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Is it 5 on 5 and we're down a goal? There's many dmen I'd rather have on the ice than Shea Weber, and some of them I don't even prefer as players to Shea. The opposition gets scored on less on average when he's on the ice.

And Weber being inducted into the hall of fame would just be the latest example in HOF norm erosion. Might as well start using tsn polls to induct people if we're going to admit cupless, individual awardless players on the basis of their reputation.
OK. Agree to disagree. I like Weber. 5 on 5 down a goal I am fine with say Weber and Markov. Weber and Ellis. Weber and Subban. Weber and Josi. Weber and Buff. Weber and Suter. Hell Weber and Petry.

You say it like Weber is the only Dman out there.

Are you saying 5 on 5 down a goal you want Shea Weber on the bench? You want two better Dmen than Weber on your roster? Dream on. The twelve team league is over.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The NHL wont let Nashville sink with this contract you can quote me. There's 0 risk.

That's my opinion as well. I'm not sure if Bettman can adjust the penalty unilaterally or if it requires endorsement from the BOG and/or NHLPA.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Splitting hairs buddy.

Before the trade I was saying Nashville needs to trade Weber to a sucker and get a plethora of picks and prospects to carry Nashville for the next few years because his contract was ridiculous and he wasn't as good as he used to be, with the game changing around him.

Instead they got Subban. It's scary how similar it all is to the Chelios/Savard. And funny enough that trade was well defended back then in that Savard provided a need, Chelios was a problem, Chelios was hurt and wouldn't come back the same player, Savard still had a lot of good years in him, etc. and today everyone forgets that Savard was a very good player who was a Top 10 centre in Chicago but by the time he got to Montreal he was still good but not the same. Sound familiar?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
and today everyone forgets that Savard was a very good player who was a Top 10 centre in Chicago but by the time he got to Montreal he was still good but not the same. Sound familiar?

Yep people forget Savard was "only" 29 and had 162 points in 118 games the previous two seasons before the trade (an average of 113 points over 82 games). Savard was actually not that bad the first 3 seasons after the trade. I was too young (was 13) to clearly remember but i don't remember this trade being criticized much when it was done.

Reactions: Price is Wright

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
OK. Agree to disagree. I like Weber. 5 on 5 down a goal I am fine with say Weber and Markov. Weber and Ellis. Weber and Subban. Weber and Josi. Weber and Buff. Weber and Suter. Hell Weber and Petry.

You say it like Weber is the only Dman out there.

Are you saying 5 on 5 down a goal you want Shea Weber on the bench? You want two better Dmen than Weber on your roster? Dream on. The twelve team league is over.

Down a goal, with a minute to go, I want the 6 players who give me the highest chance at scoring a goal. Given that at 5 on 5, Shea Weber is the 133rd most offensively dangerous defenseman who has played at least 450 minutes of icetime this year as measured by GF/60, it's actually pretty likely that I want 6 other players on the ice.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Rather have a puck moving 1D than a stay at home chip it off the boards 1D

If you think Weber is that than you obviously don’t know what kind of player he is. Maybe the consistent 20 goals and 50 points a year aren’t enough offence for you but only a very limited number of D actually score more and can defend as well. He’s one of them and that’s one of the several reasons why EVERYONE in the NHL loves him.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
If you think Weber is that than you obviously don’t know what kind of player he is. Maybe the consistent 20 goals and 50 points a year aren’t enough offence for you but only a very limited number of D actually score more and can defend as well. He’s one of them and that’s one of the several reasons why EVERYONE in the NHL loves him.

Who was talking about scoring? I certainly wasent. Overall effect on the game on every shift is what I'm looking for. Ask pacioretty and our wingers if they prefer the puck on their stick or off the boards

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Weber has scored 20 goals and reached 50 points 3 times in 13 NHL seasons. We have a different definition of what consistent means.
Weber is turning 33 and just went through a major foot surgery, the decline will be even faster and harder.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Rather have a puck moving 1D than a stay at home chip it off the boards 1D

Personally i don't think the difference between Weber and Subban is as big as some people say it is (from both camp). When everything will be said and done they both will have similar career. They are different players but they bring about as much to their team as the other.

My main problem with this trade always has been we traded a guy in the middle of his prime for a guy getting close to the end of it and we got nothing to compensate for it. Clearly for MB the compensation is that Weber in his eyes is better (and will remain better) than Subban. Personally i don't think he is. I don't think he ever has clearly been. He's a different player. There's things he does better than Subban and there's things Subban does better than him. But over the course of their whole career i don't think one is significantly better than the other. One is 4 years older though. And right now i would put 2018 Subban above 2018 Weber.

Reactions: the

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

He is not a consistent 50 points player though. He averages 47 points every 82 games. If you consider a normal season of around 77 something games he is more a 45 points player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad