Shea Weber 8A ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
I think you took his comment a little too literal.

He said Weber has "a bit more snarl" then those guys. Now you are saying it makes him better then a guy who isn't mean, physical, or nasty. I'm sure he doesn't disagree with that.

But because Weber has a bit more snarl doesn't explain his A rating.

Well to be precise he said a "lot" more snarl, not a "bit". That's a big difference to me.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Reveille! said:
Whoever does Nashville's rankings must not watch a lot of junior hockey to rate everyone with an A.

Suter should be an 8.5B, Klein a 7C/B, Upshall a 7.5B (MAYBE more realisticly a C) and Weber an 8B.

George Bachul, paging George Bachul

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The Predators have had an underrated prospect system for quite awhile. Since the 2003 draft, though, and our emergence into the playoffs......we have had a lot more people taking a serious look at what we have in our system. The fact of the matter is, we have a very deep prospect pool. At HF, it has been a struggle to be recognized for that, but last year we had our first full time writer - step and make some decent assesments. Slats did a great job, but he tends to underrate more than overrate prospects. That being said, he did a very good job of putting these players into the positive light they deserved to be in. This year, we did not have a writer, as slats stepped down. I'm guessing this was done by committee. The ratings can be viewed as high, but I would say they are on par with most of the rankings distributed out to other teams. Prospect ratings fluctuate. I wouldn't get too upset about Weber's ranking, especially considering how dominant he was last year, this year, and in the WJC. He has been a stud for 2 years now, and from all appearances - he will excel in the NHL. His rating reflects that. A lot of people think 8 A is too high, but I'm not sure I agree. I think Weber could be a no. 1 defensemen for many teams in the future. Personally, if I had to grade him, he would have been a 7.5 A. I think he is a lock to be in the top 3 on some team in the future. Whether or not he would be first pairing is hard to decide, which is why I would split 7 to 8. There is no denying, though, that this kid has some serious tools to work with in the NHL. If this kid was drafted in the top 10 of his draft year, I'm not sure there would be any debate babout him recieving an 8A rating.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i don't know who's doing the ratings right now, but i don't even think it's a nashville fan.

at any rate...i don't think weber's hype is based SOLELY on his WJC performance. For the past two years in the WHL, Weber has been outstanding. His team's record without him speaks for itself.

I just don't see any fans of Phaneuf(including myself) saying, "hey, don't take it as an insult when I say he could be the next CRAIG RIVET!" especially after a season that some feel the gap between Weber and Phaneuf lessened greatly(not my words, so don't lynch me for it).

I think Rivet is a fine DOWNSIDE for both these guys...but both could and should be more, and 8B would be a fine ranking for Weber and 8.5B would be fine for Phaneuf. I see nasty physical d-men with some offensive flair...a la Adam Foote...in both of them.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I was watching a piece on him on TV a few days ago, and the narrator was saying that Weber may become a better NHL player than Phaneuf, so maybe a 8A may not be too much of a stretch. :dunno:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
loadie said:
I was watching a piece on him on TV a few days ago, and the narrator was saying that Weber may become a better NHL player than Phaneuf, so maybe a 8A may not be too much of a stretch.
Weber is actually the much better prospect. Just look when they lined up together at the World Juniors..

2004 - Weber.. runner up to defencemen of the tournament.. first all star team
2005 - Weber.. Defencemen of the tournament.. first all star team.

WHL Defencemen of the year Phaneuf and Weber were the finalists.. Weber won.

2004 Eastern Conference Defencemen was Shea Weber, Phaneuf was nowhere to be found

2004 Eastern Conference All-Star team in the WHL, it was Weber, not Phaneuf.

Each time these guys have went head to head Weber has proven to be the better player currently, and the better prospect.

Of course Weber is better.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
MrMastodonFarm said:
Weber is actually the much better prospect. Just look when they lined up together at the World Juniors..

2004 - Weber.. runner up to defencemen of the tournament.. first all star team
2005 - Weber.. Defencemen of the tournament.. first all star team.

WHL Defencemen of the year Phaneuf and Weber were the finalists.. Weber won.

2004 Eastern Conference Defencemen was Shea Weber, Phaneuf was nowhere to be found

2004 Eastern Conference All-Star team in the WHL, it was Weber, not Phaneuf.

Each time these guys have went head to head Weber has proven to be the better player currently, and the better prospect.

Of course Weber is better.

Weber's not in the Eastern Conference. He WAS named the top western conference defenseman though, since we're being sassy.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
nomorekids said:
Weber's not in the Eastern Conference. He WAS named the top western conference defenseman though, since we're being sassy.
Actually, I didn't mention 2005. Phaneuf managed to do all that in 2004 as well as in 2005. Good to see Weber drag along a year later though. :)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Why wouldn't it? Being nasty to play against is a positive attribute in a defenseman. Some might not prefer that style but it certainly raises his stock over a similar prospect who isn't as mean, physical and nasty out there.

I don't think it seperates them as much as you think, and I definately don't think it should bring his value up to an A.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I've seen Weber a lot over the past 3 years, and I've watched him develop and seen what he's capable of.

To start, his WJ performance was nothing special. He did not exceed my expectations at all, and I would go so far as to say I was a little bit disappointed in his offensive output. He played great, but that's just business as usual for him. I think for those who watch him and know him, we pretty much expected this to happen; that is, everyone else would finally realize how good he is.

That said, 8.5A?! I think he's a great prospect - probably the second best WHL defense prospect in the WHL - but his ceiling is not as a #1 defenseman. He is a virtual lock to be a competent NHL defenseman, and as likely as they come to be a #4/5 guy. If everything goes well for him and he can learn to develop his passing just a little bit, he could elevate himself to a #3 who does everything. He is a textbook guy who does everything right, but he just doesn't have the really great upside to be a top pairing guy in my opinion. His playoff point totals are impressive, but you have to watch him to get a sense for his upside.

To me, he looks like at best a good #2/3 who has a long successful career eating up tons of minutes and playing in all situations, and at worst a #5/6 guy who makes sure everyone knows when he's on the ice and keeps their head up.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Joe_Strummer said:
oh yes, because the SEL plays such an NHL style game, where as the WHL has no ex-NHL coaches in their league

There's a whole lot more NHLers in the SEL right now than there are playing in the WHL. ;)

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Epsilon said:
There's a whole lot more NHLers in the SEL right now than there are playing in the WHL. ;)
Sidney Crosby is already better then every player in the SEL, combined.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Jason MacIsaac said:
Here is a bet to take on....I bet Crosby outscores Modano in his rookie season.

That's actually possible if Modano continues to half-ass it. I'd stick Crosby for about 60 points in his rookie year. Modano will either miss that total, or score something more like 80-85.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Wait, are you talking Modano's rookie year numbers (29-46-75 in 80 games) or Modano's numbers next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad