Shea Weber 8A ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich09

Oct 22, 2004
Shea Weber has now 8A. Are the expectations of HF a little bit to high in his case? I see a good phyical stay home defensemen. Maybe another Craig Rivet? But 8A is a lot more than that!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
SportBoy said:
Shea Weber has now 8A. Are the expectations of HF a little bit to high in his case? I see a good phyical stay home defensemen. Maybe another Craig Rivet? But 8A is a lot more than that!

ouch, rivet?

weber was possibly the best defenseman in the CHL this year not named "Phaneuf"

I will agree the "A" is a bit much...but Nashville rankings seem to be either ridiculously low or optimistically high. I'd say 8B is a better call, as a few have mentioned.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
nomorekids said:
ouch, rivet?

I will agree the "A" is a bit much...but Nashville rankings seem to be either ridiculously low or optimistically high. I'd say 8B is a better call, as a few have mentioned.

Agreed. Webber does deserve a good rating. He's nasty, he's plays great defense, he's extremely smart and he has an underrated scoring touch (he likes to jump into the play, and knows when it's the right time to do so). He's also a leader and leaves his guts on the ice. Very tough to play against.

I would guess he's going to eventually develop into a #2 or #3 defensmen for the predators.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Big Deaner said:
Agreed. Webber does deserve a good rating. He's nasty, he's plays great defense, he's extremely smart and he has an underrated scoring touch (he likes to jump into the play, and knows when it's the right time to do so). He's also a leader and leaves his guts on the ice. Very tough to play against.

I would guess he's going to eventually develop into a #2 or #3 defensmen for the predators.

Number 3, if Suter and Hamhuis stick around ;)

I can't wait to see what he does in Milwaukee next year. Suter especially, but Klein also, had terrific years and came a long way there. Suter could be a dark horse to make the Preds next year, but Klein will definitely be in Milwaukee again next year.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I am a huge WK's fan so not likely the person who would be overstating how good Weber is.............However.........Weber is a horse...........the guy absolutely solidifies Kelowna's Defence.........He has been playing between 35 and 40 mins per night during the playoffs for Kelowna.........He is nasty to play against........he hits like a truck.....controls the crease extremely well.........seems to have good skating ability.......and his breakout pass is quite impressive as well.

I also loved watching him play in the world juniors.......I believe he was the 2nd best defenceman in that tourney to Dion Phaneuf of course.

I believe that Weber is the 2nd best Defence prospect that has yet to play in the NHL hands down.......Phaneuf is a bit more polished at this point and has proven himself for longer and even more dominant......but Weber I believe has a lot of the same potential.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Upshall now has a 7.5A, Suter a 8.5A and Klein has a 7A.

I like all these players but there are few guarantees when it comes to prospects.

I think Weber's 8A is goin way off the deep end.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
There was a big piece on TSN (or was it sportsnet) on Webber. At one point they said many believe his skillset will tranlate to the NHL better than any defenseman in the WHL(and they specifically included Phaneuf). I really haven't seen much of him, so I really don't have an opinion about it, but the comment surprised the hell out of me.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
nomorekids said:
ouch, rivet?

So was Rivet... His last 2 OHL seasons were quite impressive:

1992-93 Kingston Frontenacs OHL 64 19 55 74 117
1993-94 Kingston Frontenacs OHL 61 12 52 64 100

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Wally112pac said:
Upshall now has a 7.5A, Suter a 8.5A and Klein has a 7A.

I like all these players but there are few guarantees when it comes to prospects.

I think Weber's 8A is goin way off the deep end.

Whoever does Nashville's rankings must not watch a lot of junior hockey to rate everyone with an A.

Suter should be an 8.5B, Klein a 7C/B, Upshall a 7.5B (MAYBE more realisticly a C) and Weber an 8B.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
markov` said:
8A is definitely a little far fetched. The comparision of Rivet is very interesting - he's not a better prospect than Rivet at the same age.

And Rivet turned out as a solid #3/4, which is exactly what I think that Weber will turn out to be. I think he is nastier than Rivet, though.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Weber has goen from an underrated prospect, to one of the most overrated prospects.

An 8A is a huge joke, I've always seen him as a great 2nd pairing defencemen, a craig Rivet type is very well. I've compared him to Warrener at times.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MrMastodonFarm said:
Weber has goen from an underrated prospect, to one of the most overrated prospects.

An 8A is a huge joke, I've always seen him as a great 2nd pairing defencemen, a craig Rivet type is very well. I've compared him to Warrener at times.

I think the thing that seperated him from those two is that he has a lot more bite and snarl.

Not that that should up his rating, though...

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Hmm. Watching him at the World Juniors I was most reminded of our own Robyn Regehr.
Well, I would disagree. No big deal. His performance at the World Juniors just cemented my already high thoughts about him.

We've all seen what a high World Junior performance can do to the brain around here.. see Anthony Stewart.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Reveille! said:
I think the thing that seperated him from those two is that he has a lot more bite and snarl.

Not that that should up his rating, though...

Why wouldn't it? Being nasty to play against is a positive attribute in a defenseman. Some might not prefer that style but it certainly raises his stock over a similar prospect who isn't as mean, physical and nasty out there.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Why wouldn't it? Being nasty to play against is a positive attribute in a defenseman. Some might not prefer that style but it certainly raises his stock over a similar prospect who isn't as mean, physical and nasty out there.
I think you took his comment a little too literal.

He said Weber has "a bit more snarl" then those guys. Now you are saying it makes him better then a guy who isn't mean, physical, or nasty. I'm sure he doesn't disagree with that.

But because Weber has a bit more snarl doesn't explain his A rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad