Value of: Shea Theodore

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
since leaf fans love manson so much. Nylander+?

Nylander's part of the plans here because he's likely destined for centre. Kapanen+ would be on the table, the gap between them is a lot smaller than "the big 3" moniker would indicate.

might me something to talk about after Kapanen establishes himself in the NHL

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Nylander's part of the plans here because he's likely destined for centre. Kapanen+ would be on the table, the gap between them is a lot smaller than "the big 3" moniker would indicate.

might me something to talk about after Kapanen establishes himself in the NHL

That'd have to be one hell of a + if you think a winger in the ahl would be the center piece for a top 4 NHL defensemen. Don't see us making that trade even if Kap proves he can be a NHL player.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Eh, if that was a basis for a deal, it would be a one for one swap. no plus on either side.

No way would leafs trade nylander for Manson. I understand the ducks not having any desire to trade him and what not but he isn't a good enough piece to get nylander now or moving forward. There is one dmen nylander is available for on the ducks. The ducks wouldn't trade him so now deal is to be made. Nylander is playing amazing hockey as a rookie and is going to be transitioning to center next year (bacok has stated he sees willy as a center moving forward). Manson is a good piece but he doesn't bring back nylander even with a plus.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That'd have to be one hell of a + if you think a winger in the ahl would be the center piece for a top 4 NHL defensemen. Don't see us making that trade even if Kap proves he can be a NHL player.

I think that a player with the potential to be in the top 25% of NHL forwards could be the centre piece for a dman who's in the top 66.6% of players at the position, sure. I know the prices for dmen are high right now but I think its easy to lose perspective, the Hall/Larsson trade has really distorted expectations and we're yet to see if that actually sets a precedent - we'll probably know soon because some hands are going to be forced with the expansion draft

Kapanen has a lot of upside, and if teams want to see some of the risk go away by letting him establish himself as an NHL'er first that's fine, we're in no rush

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think that a player with the potential to be in the top 25% of NHL forwards could be the centre piece for a dman who's in the top 66.6% of players at the position, sure. I know the prices for dmen are high right now but I think its easy to lose perspective, the Hall/Larsson trade has really distorted expectations and we're yet to see if that actually sets a precedent - we'll probably know soon because some hands are going to be forced with the expansion draft

Kapanen has a lot of upside, and if teams want to see some of the risk go away by letting him establish himself as an NHL'er first that's fine, we're in no rush

That's a very generous expectation for a guy who hasn't played in the NHL yet. Manson has a least proven himself in the NHL, and in a coveted position.

Also, why does no one bring up the Johansen/Jones trade when bringing up defenseman having more value than forwards? Great defenseman return top talent.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That's a very generous expectation for a guy who hasn't played in the NHL yet. Manson has a least proven himself in the NHL, and in a coveted position.

Also, why does no one bring up the Johansen/Jones trade when bringing up defenseman having more value than forwards? Great defenseman return top talent.

I used the word "potential" for a reason, he certainly has the potential to be a 1st line winger of the non-franchise variety

And I acknowledge the risk associated with players who haven't established themselves in the NHL yet, which is why I said that this is an idea that could be reapproached once that happens. Again, no rush

I think the Jones/Johansen trade does get brought up, more to show that Centres and Dmen are similarly valued usually. There needs to be a distinction between wingers and centres value wise. And top tier talent gets top tier return in any position, both Jones and Johansen are top 5 picks who already had lots of NHL success when they were traded with lots of upside left. Not arguing that Dmen aren't comparatively valuable in contrast to wingers, I just think the Hall/Larsson trade went overboard and don't see that being the new normal

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
If we have a good indication that Fowler will extend, Theo becomes a good option to move.
I'm assuming Bieksa waives, but if he doesn't, so long in a buyout.

It sure looks like Vatanen will be moved, unless a shocker of an offer for Fowler gets thrown at the Ducks.

With Montour, Larssen, Theo, we are in a position to improve with a trade of someone like Vatanen.

I for one don't like this years chances for a deep run, but long term building around
Fowler, Manson, Lindholm, Larssen, and Montour is a pretty solid looking future!

The Getz/Perry show may be slowing, but the future looks pretty darned good. Moving Vats if we can sign Fowler could even make that future better, but I'm a pessimist about the current roster, looking a little more forward

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Before Murray gets sidetracked on any deal(s) involving Theo or Montour his first priority is figuring out what to do about Fowler/Vatanen/Manson with only two protected slots available for the ED. It would be rather foolish to trade Theo or Montour for a piece that then makes moving one of the other three even harder due to having less needs.

So for those that would like to pursue Theo or Montour, be prepared to pay more than you want. Neither of them is currently the Ducks top trade priority.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Bieksa is a horrible partner for Theodore and the Ducks need to give him some regular playing time instead of promoting him/demoting him/healthy scratching him -jerked around way too much for a young player.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I would do that. I think White has a lot of Kesler in him and while I don't really want to move Theo the Ducks should have Lindholm-Fowler on the left for a long time.

Trading Theo before they are positive they can get Fowler re-signed would be foolish. I'd guess it's highly unlikely either of Theo/Montour get moved before the expansion draft situation wrt Manson/Vats/Fowler has been resolved

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Trading Theo before they are positive they can get Fowler re-signed would be foolish. I'd guess it's highly unlikely either of Theo/Montour get moved before the expansion draft situation wrt Manson/Vats/Fowler has been resolved

Agreed. I think Anaheim attempts to extend Fowler. If they can't re-sign him they'll move him. If they can, moving Theodore becomes an option.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
How about Colin White from Ottawa for Theodore?

Not interested we shouldn't be considering trading Theodore before expansion draft. If we do trade him in the future I would not trade him for someone who hasn't played at all in the NHL yet and especially when they don't have a contract yet. Would really really hate to trade for him and when he finishes college and says he doesn't want to play for Anaheim and we have another Schultz like situation.

Spooner or JFK and Bruins 1st in 2017.

Spooner is 25 years old in need of a new contract after this season and needs to be protected in expansion draft not interested in trading Theodore for Spooner. Not interested in JFK at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad