Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Update: still loving this
06ff7c35b827140b1ecfd7ea27b07d33.png

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Besides the scoring on the PP, which obviously is great, the other very noticeable thing he brings is speed. Him and Chat we’re flying and the puck was moving forward much better than when CDH was on the ice.

I’m curious how his defense is going to go on the team. I am optimistic that some of his deficiencies will be lessened in that regard with the way his mobility fits with our man-to-man style vs the more common zone the teams he used to play on run.
Ghost isn’t a bad defensive player. He’s aggressive, i.e. not safe. That’s what did him in in Philly, because the coaching staff and the FO still thought it was 1974.

He’s got flaws and they’re what people typically think is bad defense: he can get outmuscled, he can get burned trying to make risky plays, and passive defending when systems break down is not his strong suit. He’s better attacking the puck or using his high IQ to anticipate plays and break them up before they have a chance to develop. He’s a high energy player who is always looking to make a play.

He’s dynamic all over the ice and for my money the most misevaluated NHLer in recent memory. Let him be himself, and you have yourself a hell of a player.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Ghost isn’t a bad defensive player. He’s aggressive, i.e. not safe. That’s what did him in in Philly, because the coaching staff and the FO still thought it was 1974.

He’s got flaws and they’re what people typically think is bad defense: he can get outmuscled, he can get burned trying to make risky plays, and passive defending when systems break down is not his strong suit. He’s better attacking the puck or using his high IQ to anticipate plays and break them up before they have a chance to develop. He’s a high energy player who is always looking to make a play.

He’s dynamic all over the ice and for my money the most misevaluated NHLer in recent memory. Let him be himself, and you have yourself a hell of a player.

He's landed on a team that has enough of the traditional defensive dmen that he'll have the luxury of filling more of the offensive role he's built for. He'll get plenty of power play minutes, and shifts against lesser competition which will be a nice ace in the hole for us, and a better fit for his style.

The true test will be how the playoffs go. Sometimes more offensive oriented dmen struggle when every thing is ratcheted up. You make a mistake in the playoffs and it's in the back of your net. Coaches tighten up on ice time for players like that depending how the game is going. If refs swallow their whistles he'll get less opportunity to contribute.

We'll see. Overall I think our management group made a good decision recognizing we needed another defenseman, and help on the power play, specifically a QB like him. He seems like a good fit, and only cost them a 2026 3rd.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The true test will be how the playoffs go. Sometimes more offensive oriented dmen struggle when every thing is ratcheted up. You make a mistake in the playoffs and it's in the back of your net. Coaches tighten up on ice time for players like that depending how the game is going. If refs swallow their whistles he'll get less opportunity to contribute.
The last time the Flyers were in the playoffs (2020) he was by far our best defensemen in the games he was allowed to play, but AV is a piece of shit so he kept healthy scratching him so Hagg could hit people and do literally nothing of value. The difference in our puck moving and offensive chance creation with Ghost in and out of the lineup was night and day.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Obviously the biggest development here is the PP improvement, and watching him play, it's not a fluke. He is very active with the puck and by that I mean he is quick to move it when he doesn't have an obvious opening, he'll gladly skate it to and open spot with a purpose and he has a cannon. He's not a passive player at all out there and it doesn't let the defense get set which creates great opportunity after great opportunity.

Still need to see him in more 5v5 chances because that's where I'm most worried about his deficiencies being exposed. If we can mitigate and minimize, that'll legitimately be huge to our Cup chances. I'm not convinced he won't be exposed in a long series, though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Obviously the biggest development here is the PP improvement, and watching him play, it's not a fluke. He is very active with the puck and by that I mean he is quick to move it when he doesn't have an obvious opening, he'll gladly skate it to and open spot with a purpose and he has a cannon. He's not a passive player at all out there and it doesn't let the defense get set which creates great opportunity after great opportunity.

Still need to see him in more 5v5 chances because that's where I'm most worried about his deficiencies being exposed. If we can mitigate and minimize, that'll legitimately be huge to our Cup chances. I'm not convinced he won't be exposed in a long series, though.
I can see if a team hems the Canes in and physically cycles them, he could struggle 5v5 in those situations. The flip side is he's so mobile and moves the puck so well that the Canes will be more efficient moving the puck up the ice and it reduces the chanced for teams to do that.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I can see if a team hems the Canes in and physically cycles them, he could struggle 5v5 in those situations. The flip side is he's so mobile and moves the puck so well that the Canes will be more efficient moving the puck up the ice and it reduces the chanced for teams to do that.
His advanced metrics show that he has struggled getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Now, is that because Arizona in general sucked and he didn't have anyone to outlet feed it to, or was it more a personal issue on his own part? That aspect we'll have to see, because if he really isn't as bad as the metrics say, it could be a sneaky great add for us. But those stats say he's not just bad at some of these things, he's horrible, so there absolutely is reason to worry over the long haul, despite the early returns.

FinLurker

Aug 22, 2016
We have seen that traditional but slowish defenders like Cole, DeHaan and Hakanpää get exposed on Hurricanes system, while being quite good on other teams. More mobile defenders like Chatfield are doing opposite. I think Gostisbehere has enough footspeed and vision. The decision making is the only questionmark I have.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We have seen that traditional but slowish defenders like Cole, DeHaan and Hakanpää get exposed on Hurricanes system, while being quite good on other teams. More mobile defenders like Chatfield are doing opposite. I think Gostisbehere has enough footspeed and vision. The decision making is the only questionmark I have.

Having 2 guys that can skate the puck out on their own vs just one on that 3rd pair is key.
I’m quite interested to see how the new 3rd pair performs against teams like NJ or NYR.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
You might not be wrong. It has only been 2 games. I'm optimistic, but there are a lot of games to play.
I think it's worth listening to both Coyotes and Flyers fans who love the guy and are pissed at the way things ended with him at each team (moreso the Flyers obviously, but Yotes fans still want to bring him back next year and aren't happy with the return). Typically when fans of 2 teams unanimously love a player, he's a pretty damn good player. And so far he's showing why. Will he keep up this pace? Obviously not but it's a great start and a fresh new skilled guy on the PP. Can't complain at all

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He kind of took the league by storm with the Flyers, and somewhere in there he dropped off but he clearly still has the skating/skills to be a higher end offensive type. I’m sure we’ll see the defensive warts but we’ll have to live with them. Occasional defensive goofs are probably not enough to take away from the effect of having two good pp units.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He kind of took the league by storm with the Flyers, and somewhere in there he dropped off but he clearly still has the skating/skills to be a higher end offensive type. I’m sure we’ll see the defensive warts but we’ll have to live with them. Occasional defensive goofs are probably not enough to take away from the effect of having two good pp units.
Completely agreed.

I'll also go so far as to say, if he continues playing like this and helping our PP to this extent, he's going to make it extremely difficult for us to not re-up him this offseason. I have no idea where he'd fit, but we've been desperate for this kind of PP potency for years and years.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Occasional defensive goofs are probably not enough to take away from the effect of having two good pp units.

Well, and also... I know De Haan is a "defensive defenseman" but he's certainly prone to his own goofs as well. So the net add over what we had isn't necessarily offense+goofs, it's kinda just the offense.

(Also, let's not forget that 5v5 he's going to have "easier" minutes than he's ever had before. We're not pairing him with Slavin against top pairings.)

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If his defense proves to be a challenge at 5v5 anyone think these pairings could work better?

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Chatfield
Ghost-Pesce

I'd play them all pretty evenly during the rest of the regular season to give Slavin and Burns a bit more rest than usual and to keep Pesce from getting pissy being on the "3rd pair" technically. Skjei and Pesce have been great together and I'm hesitant to break them up but these seem more balanced to me and none of these pairs are a liability at all.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If his defense proves to be a challenge at 5v5 anyone think these pairings could work better?

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Chatfield
Ghost-Pesce

I'd play them all pretty evenly during the rest of the regular season to give Slavin and Burns a bit more rest than usual and to keep Pesce from getting pissy being on the "3rd pair" technically. Skjei and Pesce have been great together and I'm hesitant to break them up but these seem more balanced to me and none of these pairs are a liability at all.
incoming Pesce trade request

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Dude's gonna use up all his goals before the playoffs and be useless to us.

Yes but we'll still be an elite regular season team. They can never take that away from us. NEVER.

Completely agreed.

I'll also go so far as to say, if he continues playing like this and helping our PP to this extent, he's going to make it extremely difficult for us to not re-up him this offseason. I have no idea where he'd fit, but we've been desperate for this kind of PP potency for years and years.

We're totally gonna jinx this guy only 2 games in.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
His advanced metrics show that he has struggled getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Now, is that because Arizona in general sucked and he didn't have anyone to outlet feed it to, or was it more a personal issue on his own part? That aspect we'll have to see, because if he really isn't as bad as the metrics say, it could be a sneaky great add for us. But those stats say he's not just bad at some of these things, he's horrible, so there absolutely is reason to worry over the long haul, despite the early returns.
It was definitely his environment, not his own puck moving ability.

For example, here’s his last season pre-Arizona.

Last edited:

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
What's he make now? Like 4.5? I don't think we can afford that. We still need a patches replacement / scoring up front. Even if kk's performance the last month is the start of him coming in.

Let's say he does become what tda was in the regular season. 4th in points or a huge pp asset. Where do we find the room for that contract? Staal is probably due for a pay cut. No way he gets 6m.
I don't know ghosts real market value. 3.5? 4? I guess it depends on what we see.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
What's he make now? Like 4.5? I don't think we can afford that. We still need a patches replacement / scoring up front. Even if kk's performance the last month is the start of him coming in.

Let's say he does become what tda was in the regular season. 4th in points or a huge pp asset. Where do we find the room for that contract? Staal is probably due for a pay cut. No way he gets 6m.
I don't know ghosts real market value. 3.5? 4? I guess it depends on what we see.

Keep in mind next year we have a lot of cap room. No one really needs a raise for next year. The year after is the cap reckoning, but that does still provide flexibility. E.g. we signed Gostisbehere to a long-term deal which we can afford next year... then move on from Skjei at the end of his deal? Or etc.

I think we will sign Pacioretty as the Pacioretty replacement, and I think he'll sign for maybe half of his previous $7m caphit.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
TDA is terrible defensively. It will be interesting to see what Ghost’s value is this off-season considering TDA just got $5MM as an RFA.

Attachments

• BC93A060-CD15-47C0-A661-A0A8DCA73F04.png
    BC93A060-CD15-47C0-A661-A0A8DCA73F04.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 08FC7F77-1B47-474E-88ED-EA49829D5FDD.png
    08FC7F77-1B47-474E-88ED-EA49829D5FDD.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Keep in mind next year we have a lot of cap room. No one really needs a raise for next year. The year after is the cap reckoning, but that does still provide flexibility. E.g. we signed Gostisbehere to a long-term deal which we can afford next year... then move on from Skjei at the end of his deal? Or etc.

I think we will sign Pacioretty as the Pacioretty replacement, and I think he'll sign for maybe half of his previous $7m caphit.
Dude I'm not sure patches will ever play again.

That being said why does signing ghost mean we have to get rid of sjkei? Maybe on a forward trade or something

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Completely agreed.

They’re going to need to sign a LD for the 3rd pair anyway this off-season

Next year, they’d have zero problem keeping him at $4.5M or even higher. If he wanted term at such a number, then that would probably be a problem.

Also, you have to take into account would they be willing to extend a 3rd pair PP guy at at $4.5M or higher? They weren’t willing to go there with TDA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad