Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere to Carolina for a 2026 3rd

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
O'Reilly's the one that hurts. Vancouver prioritized a pick the Canes didn't have. Not much you can do there. San Jose liked New Jersey's assets better. Okay. In the O'Reilly case, St. Louis got a futures package led by a pick that is just a couple slots better at the moment.

The juxtaposition between Carolina and Toronto is really interesting. Same conference. The teams are 5 and 7 years into their playoff stretches. Both are seen as analytically inclined. Toronto has spent significant assets on Muzzin, Foligno, Giordano, O'Reilly and McCabe in-season, with the middle 3 being expensive rentals. Carolina has not given up anything higher than a 3rd rounder in a transaction outside of Kotkaniemi since 2020. The Leafs have made 9 picks in the Top 3 rounds over the past 4 drafts. The Canes have drafted 17 times by comparison. You would think the team with the more significant prior investment in prospects would be the more aggressive one in dealing futures picks. Yet, it's gone the other way.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
O'Reilly's the one that hurts. Vancouver prioritized a pick the Canes didn't have. Not much you can do there. San Jose liked New Jersey's assets better. Okay. In the O'Reilly case, St. Louis got a futures package led by a pick that is just a couple slots better at the moment.

The juxtaposition between Carolina and Toronto is really interesting. Same conference. The teams are 5 and 7 years into their playoff stretches. Both are seen as analytically inclined. Toronto has spent significant assets on Muzzin, Foligno, Giordano, O'Reilly and McCabe in-season, with the middle 3 being expensive rentals. Carolina has not given up anything higher than a 3rd rounder in a transaction outside of Kotkaniemi since 2020. The Leafs have made 9 picks in the Top 3 rounds over the past 4 drafts. The Canes have drafted 17 times by comparison. You would think the team with the more significant prior investment in prospects would be the more aggressive one in dealing futures picks. Yet, it's gone the other way.
We should probably wait and see how all these moves pan out? The leafs got smoked last night by the Oilers with a lot of their new players skating.

Reactions: LakeLivin

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Don't get me wrong, I would take them both. It's just, these aren't the 2016 Kane and Tarasenko. These are the 34/31 year old versions, who have already won a Cup, a bit dinged up with accumulating injuries, and just got traded away from the only team they've ever known. I'm sure they'll produce and be fine, but neither of them is likely to be as impactful as people expect based on memories of years gone by.
Yeah I'm the same. My point wasn't that these are good players or they wouldn't be improvements to some degree, just some people are pissed like we didn't get some game breaking players. We have our core we were trying to add depth and we did. Could we have added better depth sure but the costs were pretty high for guys that were not going to be part of the core

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Who was the last player to wear 41 for us, Andrew Alberts?
grumpy-ew.gif

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
For a cup run you need two players for each spot, the one you are expecting to play at the first place and the one who is replacing him. Its all about depth. No one needs scorers they are useless at post season, this is basics but of course for those who have never witnessed one its way too difficult

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the one that hurt was Meier. that was a player and contract we could have used long-term. I also think he would have gotten a substantial bump playing with Aho and any other winger in our Top 6. he checked so many boxes. size, skill, power... he's about as good as it gets in terms of wingers that would ever come available at his age. the fact that Nikishin could have made a difference according to an insider makes me highly uncomfortable. the one thing I hope comes of that situation is that we successfully negotiate a way for Nikishin to come straight over next season, but that's still only a minor salve for the non-roster assets we could have stacked to get him and what that could have meant for our playoffs. it was near inexcusable to miss on him and if we fall just short again we're going to look like dullards for it.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
^One of those two teams also features the longest time since a playoff series win in the NHL, a GM desperately trying to save his job, and hasn't even been to a cup final since the advent of color TV.
i'm always on the lookout to have an excuse to drop this nugget, so thanks...

since meeting in the 2002 eastern conference finals, the canes have more playoff rounds won than the maple leafs have playoff rounds played. and that is with a decade in the wilderness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad