Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere to Carolina for a 2026 3rd

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Dude I'm not sure patches will ever play again.

That being said why does signing ghost mean we have to get rid of sjkei? Maybe on a forward trade or something

It doesn't hurt us next year. But the year after, we've got Aho, Teravainen, Necas, Jarvis, Skjei, and Pesce all up at once. Having a $4m defenseman signed long-term on the 3rd pairing behind Slavin and Skjei would be a luxury we might not be able to afford with trying to sign everyone else. I was just speculating that if we decide Ghost is worth keeping, something would have to give that next year, and since he's a LHD Skjei was the guy I figured would be expendable.

Another option would just be to overpay Ghost for a year to take advantage of the cap space next year and let him hit FA again in another year.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's been a lot of fun to watch him already. We haven't seen much of the negatives yet, but that may have more to do with the competition (or their level of current play with Tampa). All we can do is hope he continues to meld with the team and keeps it going through June. It's encouraging to me that he's had the quick start as he's had a few times both offensively and defensively where you can tell he doesn't quite know where to be or what to do on the new team. The production can't get much better (and will obviously get worse), but it'll be nice to see when he gets really comfortable how he looks.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It's been a lot of fun to watch him already. We haven't seen much of the negatives yet, but that may have more to do with the competition (or their level of current play with Tampa). All we can do is hope he continues to meld with the team and keeps it going through June. It's encouraging to me that he's had the quick start as he's had a few times both offensively and defensively where you can tell he doesn't quite know where to be or what to do on the new team. The production can't get much better (and will obviously get worse), but it'll be nice to see when he gets really comfortable how he looks.

In his postgame interview on TNT, Gost said he had a 45 min meeting with Gleason right after he joined the team where they went over all the nuances to the Canes defensive scheme. Said its a lot of the same stuff he's run before, just different terminology. But yeah... If you need that kind of onboarding, I'm not surprised we see so many defensemen take a while to gel when we bring them on.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Ghost is a perfect rental if he keeps performing. That is always a double edged sword.

The best scenario would be Carolina winning a Cup with Ghost pumping up the PP. That scenario has a 100% chance of some team giving him a contract this offseason that Carolina will not match.

3rd pair D and #2PP has an allocated range of money. I don't think it is higher than $3 million if I had to guess.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Ghost is a perfect rental if he keeps performing. That is always a double edged sword.

The best scenario would be Carolina winning a Cup with Ghost pumping up the PP. That scenario has a 100% chance of some team giving him a contract this offseason that Carolina will not match.

3rd pair D and #2PP has an allocated range of money. I don't think it is higher than $3 million if I had to guess.

If he scores points at above a .5ppg pace, which he’s obviously capable of, unfortunately, I think it’d be a given some team would pay more the Canes would on his next contract. The Isles maybe, or perhaps back to ARZ.

The interesting wrinkles I think are the oodles of space the Canes will have this summer and the expiration of the Skjei/Pesce contracts the following summer. If they could get Gostisbehere signed at $5M or under AND he also proves not to suck defensively, then I think there’s a path for him to stick around serve as the replacement for who walks -Skjei or Pesce.

Said this on another thread though- probably way too early to be thinking about such things

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

You might be able to get Ghost with something in that ballpark on a multi-year deal, say something like 3 years 10.5 total. He's got to be pretty thankful for this opportunity given everything he's endured over the last 5 years and might well prioritize having a role on a winning club over trying to maximize annual salary.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
With the front office holding onto both Nikishin and Morrow so tightly at the trade deadline, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they think they can get away with elevating their current 3rd pair to the 2nd pair when their current 2nd pair gets too expensive, then backfilling with the two stud prospects. I have no idea if that is a working solution, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Also, I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by Staals next contract. It won't be as cheap as we would like, I think, or it won't be here. There is a reason for the drop in talk of the talks between the two camps, and I doubt it is becasue it has all gone so smoothly.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Do I need to move all the Staal stuff over to the roster thread? C'mon guys, this thread is supposed to be about Ghost. And fried chicken, because every thread is about that.
On the one hand, you’re a mod and don’t have to ask permission.

On the other hand, trying to stop a thread on hcanes board from going off topic is like trying to stop a tidal wave with a rake.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
TDA is terrible defensively. It will be interesting to see what Ghost’s value is this off-season considering TDA just got $5MM as an RFA.
Mind you, you're looking at the positively Jurassic GM who extended Fisto for $5.1m x 5 years against all reason and sanity.

Edit: who also added a pick to offload Gostisbehere to Yotes, in his moment of great brainstorm.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Tyson Barrie seems like a spot-on comp for Gostisbehere. That $4.5M aav is popular it seems with offensive d-men in their late 20s/early 30s it seems.

I don’t see the Canes giving him that unless he’s only signing for 1yr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad