Player Discussion Shawn Horcoff Appreciation Thread (Officially Retires)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Battled hard for everything he got up until that contract. Then he checked out and never took responsibility for anything. One of the crappier captains.

But up until that respect the career he had.

There's a video of him saying that hockey was his life up until he had a kid then most of his time went to his family. A legacy is nice but being a family man is even better.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Prepared and played every game like the consummate professional he was.

Good job Mr Horcoff and good luck in your future endevours.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
This will be the last time I say this, so this phrase will retire along with the man himself!!!

Horky Dorky!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He had some good times with the Oil for which I appreciate him for but generally is one of my most hated Oilers of all time.

Still remember yelling at him so loudly during a game he actually looked up at me with a hurt look. Never felt better about heckling someone.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
He had some good times with the Oil for which I appreciate him for but generally is one of my most hated Oilers of all time.

Still remember yelling at him so loudly during a game he actually looked up at me with a hurt look. Never felt better about heckling someone.

A bit offside I think. He did what anyone would do if they were offered a monster contract, sign it.

One of the moments I'll most remember him for was him diving head first to block a shot in the dying seconds of game 5 (I think) vs Detroit in 2006. That moment was something more than about money.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
Anyone who wants to win badly enough to intentionally try to block a puck with his face for my team is alright in my books.

I remember that haha. As much as he was vilified for that contract and his lazy play his final season here, he was a great player for us and a great community guy. Respect

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A bit offside I think. He did what anyone would do if they were offered a monster contract, sign it.

One of the moments I'll most remember him for was him diving head first to block a shot in the dying seconds of game 5 (I think) vs Detroit in 2006. That moment was something more than about money.

He mailed it in or his injury made him useless for the first few years of said contract. He had to face tough competition and he drowned. Looked ahl quality IMHO.

His last couple years picked it up a notch and looked like a solid bottom 6 nhl center.

His contract was brutal but at no point did it look like he was worth even half the money he was making. Injury or incompetent he was bad no matter how much he made.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Average player who got the most out of his career. Was given more opportunity than he deserved, but being on some bad teams helped, and he did okay with his limited skill set.

Wouldn't be in my top 50 All-time Oilers, but was a good Oiler for the most part.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

I agree. He's on my Top 5 list along with Todd Marchant, Shayne Corson, Kevin Lowe and Steve MacIntyre

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I agree. He's on my Top 5 list along with Todd Marchant, Shayne Corson, Kevin Lowe and Steve MacIntyre
And lets not forget how Horcoff taught the kids to lose with aplomb.
Just give another glib, cliche ridden, post game interview, stroke your nose and try to look senatorial.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
His insurance goal in Game 6 vs the Sharks is one of my favourite moments as an Oilers fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO-WjnDm-oc

@ 4:18

Thanks for posting this. That run was such a fun ride and Horcoff was a solid player before injuries started taking their toll.

Really enjoyed watching that footage again. Too bad there wasnt an HD quality video out there somewhere.

That aside Horcoff made the absolute most of his career. Props to him for accomplishing that.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I know we don't like certain players, and we voice that a lot, and I was as hard on him as anyone else once upon a time, but I mean, it is an appreciation thread, guys. If you don't have anything nice to say, maybe just skip this thread.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for posting this. That run was such a fun ride and Horcoff was a solid player before injuries started taking their toll.

Really enjoyed watching that footage again. Too bad there wasnt an HD quality video out there somewhere.

That aside Horcoff made the absolute most of his career. Props to him for accomplishing that.

Horcoff was the MVP of that Sharks series, bar none. He scored many key goals including the Triple OT winner.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I know we don't like certain players, and we voice that a lot, and I was as hard on him as anyone else once upon a time, but I mean, it is an appreciation thread, guys. If you don't have anything nice to say, maybe just skip this thread.

Agreed. I wasn't a fan but it's just kinda rude to do it here.

Big part of that 06 run. Enjoy retirement Horcoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad