Player Discussion Shawn Horcoff Appreciation Thread (Officially Retires)

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
One hell of a two-way centre at his peak.

Glad to see he hit 1,000+ games. Wish him all the best.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Real solid player through his career. If Lowe hadn't given him that albatross contract after 06 he wouldn't have been nearly as reviled as he was prior to his trade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good character guy, would be a solid no.2 C in his prime.

Though for whatever reason I think losing Jarrett Stoll hurt us more. Just completely changed the dynamics of the team.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Good character guy, would be a solid no.2 C in his prime.

Though for whatever reason I think losing Jarrett Stoll hurt us more. Just completely changed the dynamics of the team.

Very true. We went from a team that won faceoffs, to being a team that NEVER won faceoffs.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Anyone who wants to win badly enough to intentionally try to block a puck with his face for my team is alright in my books.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wasn't his fault Lowe thought he was Gretzky. As has always been the case under the Lowe MacT regime players are/were expected to play well above their capabilities.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Honestly I didn't realize/remember how many of his goals came from going to the net that season. Smyth always got the credit, but Horcoff was decent around the net in his own right, very opportunistic. The two of them together created such havoc and space for Hemsky.

The urge to turn him into a shooter (Whiffcoff, anyone?) after giving him that contract is one of the big mistakes of those late 2000/early 2010's teams.

He was the ideal #2 centre. Maybe not good enough to be the go to shutdown guy, or top scorer, but a solid and very smart player.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'll never forget his contributions to the team and community. Great character who wanted to win and stay in the league. Sucks he chose the path he did at the end of his career, but I will back look fondly on career.

Can you blame him. Testosterone is the fountain of youth and could have added a few more years to his career.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
97s50z.jpg

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
never liked him. Was always a smug ******* when I met him. Never heard good things about him. But if he didn't suffer that shoulder injury who knows how much longer he could've carried on at that level. Was a good player for a lot of years. Have a nice retirement Shawn.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Congrats to Horcoff on the retirement. Like many fans I was on and off his case too many times to count. But I certainly always appreciated what he brought. A very solid character player.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Battled hard for everything he got up until that contract. Then he checked out and never took responsibility for anything. One of the crappier captains.

But up until that respect the career he had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad