Injury Report: Shaw and Smith out for the season

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I apparently view SB more favorably than many of you, but I hated the Shaw move from the get-go.

Likewise.

The original Shaw trade felt like the kind of intelligent move that made this team great from 2013-2015. We have an asset, our success has raised the perceived value above the actual value, we’re going to sell high.

Then they trade for him back, when he’s older, more expensive, and with greater injury risk factor? It was lunacy. Bad decision the day it was made.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I apparently view SB more favorably than many of you, but I hated the Shaw move from the get-go.
He’s done well with acquiring young talent through the draft and the euro scouts have been amazing, but how much is that even him?

I have been so disappointed with everything else, ability to navigate the cap, navigate the trade market. Their pro scouting has been terrible.

I just wonder how much is it him, how much is there pressure/ whispers from the 2 people above him on what to do. Rocky and McDonough sitting there saying we need playoffs? I sure hope not.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
that Shaw trade hurts, nothing against Shaw just the injuries, and a 2nd round pick in a very deep draft being dealt.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah, but of those players, only De Haan was really making a significant, positive impact.

I'd argue we shouldn't have spent the cap or the assets on the likes of Smith, Shaw and Seabrook (obviously).

So it was bad management, and bad luck on top of it.

Not necessarily.

We only saw 26 games of Shaw. He was coming off a career year in MTL (paced for 61 points). Tough to definitively say Shaw wasn’t going to have a positive impact here.

Smith has had his ups and downs but not every bottom 6 guy can be a young player on an ELC or a Carpenter making $1m AAV. Sometimes these guys cost money and Smith has spent at least some of his time here as a Hawk being worth his contract.

I think we’re all in agreement that CdH was good here and we wish he was healthy. Seabrook is really the only one who was clearly playing well below his cap hit.

Bad management or not, I’ve been pretty dumbfounded as to why the Hawks are having ANOTHER bad season because looking at the roster going into training camp I saw a lot of talent. Some problems and holes, sure, but it seemed like Stan did a nice job of bringing in some depth to the team.

Maybe an under looked reason for that is by having ~$18.5 million in dead cap that’s nearly 23% of our cap space not being used and/or being misused through bad management.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I loved it at first but in retrospect considering that Shaw missed 64 games in 3 seasons for MTL it should’ve been more of a red flag for Bowman. Shaw will have now missed 120 games in the last 4 seasons combined and honestly may never play again.

LTIR or not, that’s $3.9 million in dead cap space.

Reactions: Race Bannon

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I couldn't stand the Shaw move. I think it was worse than the Joki/Nylander trade. At least that one had a bit of logic behind it.

The Hawks would have been better off holding on to Jokiharju, and trading their 2nd/3rd for Nylander. I said that this summer, later in the season, and I still believe it. Shaw was just a dumb, stupid move. I wasn't crazy about Jokiharju(and I still think he's a #4 at best), but he could have gained value as he proved himself further and the Hawks could have traded him this summer with a higher value attached.

I was always a proponent of taking a chance on players like Nylander and Puljujarvi last summer.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Nice to read about how well Andrew Shaw is doing. Especially that he recognizes there is more to life than hockey. Several reporters wrote about him. Both articles reference conversations with Colliton and I do wonder if it makes a difference for players to speak to someone who did call it quits when concussions got to be too much. I know there is a culture of play through the pain in hockey that is really detrimental for people's lives. Again, just glad Shaw is doing better and sounds so healthy and happy.

Lazarus ($): Andrew Shaw at peace with end of his career, but still fighting to stave it off

Pope: Healthy and rejuvenated, Andrew Shaw is once again bringing life to the Blackhawks

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I love Andrew Shaw, but I think he may honestly be the most overrated player of the entire 'dynasty'.

He was a good little bottom sixer that a certain subset of Blackhawks fans decided to hold up as a folk hero, and a certain coach tried to shoehorn into the top six at every opportunity.

When he was in the bottom 6, in limited minutes, on a cheap contract, he was a useful player. The Blackhawks traded him at exactly the right time and it should have been the last we saw of him in the Indianhead.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I love Andrew Shaw, but I think he may honestly be the most overrated player of the entire 'dynasty'.

He was a good little bottom sixer that a certain subset of Blackhawks fans decided to hold up as a folk hero, and a certain coach tried to shoehorn into the top six at every opportunity.

When he was in the bottom 6, in limited minutes, on a cheap contract, he was a useful player. The Blackhawks traded him at exactly the right time and it should have been the last we saw of him in the Indianhead.
Hard to overrate a 5th rounder who played in his draft year. Guy was a game changer when he could stay out of the box.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Ok

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Shaw most overrated .... lol

If you believe he was anything more than a good bottom sixer on a value contract who was originally moved at the appropriate time, you’ve already overrated him.

You can appreciate what he brought while still recognizing where he fell in the pecking order. There are people who, to this day, feel Andrew Shaw was critical, irreplaceable, cant-win-without-him guy. Which is nonsense.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If you believe he was anything more than a good bottom sixer on a value contract who was originally moved at the appropriate time, you’ve already overrated him.

You can appreciate what he brought while still recognizing where he fell in the pecking order. There are people who, to this day, feel Andrew Shaw was critical, irreplaceable, cant-win-without-him guy. Which is nonsense.
But you referred to putting him at 2nd line center as the obvious move that a certain coach should of done earlier. But he also should only be a bottom 6 player except to those who overrated him.

I find this funny in also contrast as another poster called Shaw underrated, yet he goes on to bemoan Shaw on the PP yet 1 of the only two top #3 PP years Shaw had lots of PP time and was continually better than anyone else in the PP role.

Maybe he is rated just fine exepct by people who don't like their own judgements?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
But you referred to putting him at 2nd line center as the obvious move that a certain coach should of done earlier. But he also should only be a bottom 6 player except to those who overrated him.

I find this funny in also contrast as another poster called Shaw underrated, yet he goes on to bemoan Shaw on the PP yet 1 of the only two top #3 PP years Shaw had lots of PP time and was continually better than anyone else in the PP role.

Maybe he is rated just fine exepct by people who don't like their own judgements?

I didn't bemoan Q not putting Shaw into the top 6 sooner. I bemoaned Q not taking Handzus out of the 2C role sooner. Those are two very different things. I think I was pretty clear that literally anybody, right down to the Black Aces, would have been better in that slot.

Literally anybody.

Regin was available as a 13th forward, they eventually went with Shaw.

Shaw isn't even a good center, but he fulfilled the criteria of 'literally anybody but michal handzus'.

Shaw's best work was as a bottom 6 winger who could make due as a bottom 6 center in a pinch. His absolute best was as a winger on an excellent 4th line in 2015, a line that had a lower cap hit combined than Shaw's current cap hit.

I don't think Shaw is particularly overrated on these forums, but these forums are not representative of Blackhawks fandom at large. There are legions of meatballs who think Shaw is an irreplaceable core piece that never should have been moved.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il

He did exactly what the Hawks needed. Should they have brought him back, no.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1