Injury Report: Shaw and Smith out for the season

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Not surprising about shaw. Smith back injury must have been lingering and they told him to get the surgery done early.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
What's the recovery time on back surgery? Does this affect a potential buyout?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The ought to be a pro osion in the next CBTo carry forward unused LTIR to the folowing season ...after all insurance pays the salaries or a big part of it for injured players on long -term injury ..It is this bad luck for injuries that Might kill a team's chances of maki g the playoffs if key personnel miss significant long time o the injured list..that is unfair in competition with lucky teams that stay healthy with low or little injury of players ..

So there ought to be a carry forward such that a team who might have missed playoffs because of lo g term injuriesxcould replace bad luck by a no us gift of a ility to use extra cap space for next season..That carry forward ought to be the amount of cap space of the injured ed player whike on LTIR minus any amount the team paid him directly(leaving just the amount I distance paid such LTIR pkayer).

So it would work like this:

Player X goes on LTIR from after game 41)...missed exactly half a season ..Say his cap equal his salary (we are keeping it simple) ...I am not sure how much insurance covers...Let is say it is 2/3 of his salary ...If that is the case and his AAV was 4milluon...then the club paid him $2million for GP and another 1/3 of 2milluon ...so a total of $2.667 million...insieance paid the remainder of $1.333 million...This the carry forward ought to be what the club did not pay directly to him ...they oughtvto be allowed to add $1.333 million to their team cap for nextcseason.

This does not affect rich revenue teams over poir revenue teams because if the pjayer never got injured the teamwasvon the hooknforcall hisvoay anyway ...whethervitvwas a rich orvpoir revenue team.

Son e teams budgeted that money for the season player got injured they in effect could not spend that money directly on hom(they in effect gotta financial savings via insurance paid out).
Thus they never got to use tgatcextra money toward a cap payment if they dod no LTIR replacement..

Anyway something like I have outlined ought to be implemented for a carry over provision to the folowing season..By granting teams affected by injury such ability to r-'coup what they intended to spend but either could not or did not by LTIR replacement on other assets,it helps that team regain competitive balance they lost in a season of key injuries by helping their cap number I the folowing seaon.
In any case the current rent Bettman system stinks because not every team so affected can use up all its LYIR in replacement call ups to cover all the missing amount they dod not spend ..remember too that before you can dip into LTIR replay ement you must already be at the cap number so that if you were szy $3million under the cap at the time and the replacement you call up only caps to say $800,000..then you still cannot use LTIR replacement till you get to the fill cap amount max.

The idea I propose would let you carry forward the cap amount on the injured player still remaining when he went on LTIR minus the amount they paid him directly (the non'insueed pirtion) and then minus the amount ifcanyvspebt on a replacement paler.

That total remaining amount that the club had budgeted for but never paid and so never costed then that season should be allowed to add to the team cap max for the folowing seaon.

The club had budgetedctovspend those dollars but never did ..And so fans who paid the big bucks to see the assets budgeted for..never got the full budget on the ice.

That is unfair both tpbthe teamznd the fans Ffecyed by simple bad luck with lo g term injury.
Therefore Bettman has to rectify such unfairness bu allowing some carryover formula to ho that affect Ted team for next season.

In the process of many seasons this should equal out for all clubs such that no club constantly gains advantage forvtheir cap use ability p er other clubs.

It simply allows a bit extra competitive advantage for the affected clubs for next seaso because they lost and Ntage the prior season to clubs who could use their full budgeted cap .

I think my argument is persuasive and Bettman and the NHL top brass should do this.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
This is going to lower Smith's value even further, and it was already basically zero.

Concerned for Shawzie. Hope he can make the decision that's best for him.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Underrated reason for why the Hawks are so bad this year. About 20-25% of their cap space has been unable to be used. I’m sure if that space was allocated differently the Hawks would be a better team.

Yeah, but of those players, only De Haan was really making a significant, positive impact.

I'd argue we shouldn't have spent the cap or the assets on the likes of Smith, Shaw and Seabrook (obviously).

So it was bad management, and bad luck on top of it.

Reactions: sugoi88

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yeah, but of those players, only De Haan was really making a significant, positive impact.

I'd argue we shouldn't have spent the cap or the assets on the likes of Smith, Shaw and Seabrook (obviously).

So it was bad management, and bad luck on top of it.
Smith was a cap drop lower of what AA was and gave more space for Dach to grow into the middle 6. I'm not sure I'd notch them as I doubt keeping AA would of lead to any more success.

The shaw trade is certainly a failure. I'm just assuming its ltir retirement but I guess he may return next year.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I honestly hope Shaw considers hanging them up. Hell, Caggiula is teetering himself. Smith with back surgery at his age is bad too.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Smith was a cap drop lower of what AA was and gave more space for Dach to grow into the middle 6. I'm not sure I'd notch them as I doubt keeping AA would of lead to any more success.

The shaw trade is certainly a failure. I'm just assuming its ltir retirement but I guess he may return next year.

This....plus you can buyout (hopefully depending on health) Smith for a little over a million cap hit the next 2 seasons as opposed to AA would be 3.5 cap next year and 500K the following.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00