Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Trading him for 3.5 and then taking Kassian at 3.2 actually equals 6.7 x 3 and then 3.5 x 1. The buyout is 3.6, 2.6,4.6,1.6,1.6,1.6. I know which poision pill id rather swallow considering the cap is rising next year and going to seriously rise in the years after.

If you think we havent done the math on this your wrong, we know exactly what makes sense and what doesnt, and trading Kane at 50% for a huge cap dump is plain bad.
Okay but no one says you have to take Kassian. If you can take back a deal that ends after this season or next it would absolutely benefit the team overall.

That Kassian contract is brutal lol

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Okay but no one says you have to take Kassian. If you can take back a deal that ends after this season or next it would absolutely benefit the team overall.

Yeah that would be fine. I dont have faith in this team so a one year cap dump is fine, but thats not the offers we have got here. Most people are trying to say we should take a multi year cap dump and retain which is just a no go

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah that would be fine. I dont have faith in this team so a one year cap dump is fine, but thats not the offers we have got here. Most people are trying to say we should take a multi year cap dump and retain which is just a no go

I mean people expect you to retain because it's being reported that you will retain

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

That Kassian contract retained would also net the Sharks an asset at the deadline. How comfortable are the Sharks with handling dead cap?

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
That Kassian contract retained would also net the Sharks an asset at the deadline. How comfortable are the Sharks with handling dead cap?
This year, no problem. Next year, it’s a problem because Hertl, Ferraro, and Dahlen need raises. The Sharks won’t retain 50% and take Kassian back. It’s clearly better to just buy Kane out.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This year, no problem. Next year, it’s a problem because Hertl, Ferraro, and Dahlen need raises. The Sharks won’t retain 50% and take Kassian back. It’s clearly better to just buy Kane out.
The difference between the Kassian trade and flip and the buyout is actually fairly negligeable.

In total it would be $5.1m, $5.1m, the $3.5m and then it's done. So it's and extra $1.5m in 2022/23 and an extra $2.5m in 2023/24. You'd save money the next season and you wouldn't be stuck with the three extra years of dead cap.

With the buyout you also wouldn't be getting the trade assets.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's highly doubtful that Kassian at the deadline would return an asset. Too much term left on someone who just isn't very good.
Kassian at $1.8m would be a highly sought after deadline add. GMs are idiots. He's the prototypical 'playoff' forward.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kassian at $1.8m would be a highly sought after deadline add. GMs are idiots. He's the prototypical 'playoff' forward.

He really isn't. Not with the way this and last season have gone. With two more seasons to go, they wouldn't get a draft pick or out of it by trading for a nothing prospect. If it was his last season, I'd agree with you but not now.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Is there any proof that this guy is a locker room cancer? Have any current or former teammates or coaches mentioned anything? Anyone besides that one reporter?

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Is there any proof that this guy is a locker room cancer? Have any current or former teammates or coaches mentioned anything? Anyone besides that one reporter?

I'm pretty sure that guy has been a locker room issue since junior. I don't know how there can be any doubt at this point, really. Members of his last team actually came out and told the Mgmt staff that they didn't want him back (I am for sure no authority on this topic but I've never heard of that happening before). It wasn't his play that was the reason they didn't want him back.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
There was a rumour before the season started that Hertl didn't want to play with him. I'm genuinely not sure whether that was discussed again, or was true/false. Kane himself denied it, but it would've been weird if he said no one wants to play with him, so take that as you will. Other than that, as far as I'm aware no one has decided to comment on anything, so it's hard to say.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Not one player /teammate current or prior has come out to defend the guy. Not one . You would think at least one person would try to set the record straight or say something anything remotely positive if …. There was something positive to say or detract from all the negative issues surrounding Kane.

Having said that. I am so sick and tired of my Devils not having any scoring wingers and too many guys that play a soft perimeter game , that I would take Kane on the team.
Desperate times require desperate measures. He is exactly the type of player the Devils need. Just minus all the off ice issues.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
If you are talking about Kane, just google “Evander Kane” “tracksuit”.
Just google Evander Kane History

There’s his disrespectful rulebreaking in Winnipeg that caused a rift with teammates, there’s his disrespectful rule breaking in San Jose that’s caused a rift with his teammates

There’s also the time he missed a Sabres practice to cross the border and party around the NBA all star festivities, put tons of it on his social media, overslept and missed practice *the next day* which, you guessed it, reportedly caused a rift with his teammates (I’d actually forgotten that, I wondered why team like the Sabres would trade away needed talent even if he wasn’t a 100% complete player, they’re far from a complete team). That’s just the stuff that leaked out, hockey teams are generally good at containment.

then there’s his long history of off ice distractions certainly not just starting this season that could scare teams off

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad