Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's a theory alright.
Yup, Mrazek and Reimer are almost the same in the last few year, neither can really handle the #1 job by himself. Also considering Reimer is cheaper, and having a good year. You may want to save some money and sign Campbell long term.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yup, Mrazek and Reimer are almost the same in the last few year, neither can really handle the #1 job by himself. Also considering Reimer is cheaper, and having a good year. You may want to save some money and sign Campbell long term.

If the "debate" was just Mrazek vs. Reimer -- then yeah, I think you could definitely argue that the Leafs would be better off with Reimer given the need to resign Jack Campbell.

However, that deal is "complicated" by the Kane/Ritchie swap, which means takes the $1.55m savings from Mrazek to Reimer, and spends $1m of it on Kane at 50%.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If the "debate" was just Mrazek vs. Reimer -- then yeah, I think you could definitely argue that the Leafs would be better off with Reimer given the need to resign Jack Campbell.

However, that deal is "complicated" by the Kane/Ritchie swap, which means takes the $1.55m savings from Mrazek to Reimer, and spends $1m of it on Kane at 50%.
I am not saying it’s a deal for the Leafs. I am saying it’s a pretty even proposal. Also Kane is a significant upgrade on Ritchie if you are willing to ignore the garbage that comes with him

obviously for the Leafs, the deal only works if they really want Kane. They get him for almost nothing. They can always address the extra $1M up front on another deal.

Last edited:

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Well Reimer plays hockey and mrazek doesn't. Based on his injury history he has one of the worst goalie contracts in the NHL aside from Murray.

This suggestion is laughable. There's no need for SJ to ruin their goaltending position to dump Kane.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
$1.6m in cap is probably the difference between what a ~20th OA pick would be in year 2 or 3 of his ELC (assuming he makes the NHL) saves you versus just going out and signing an equivalent player in free agency.

Would still rather have that 20 OA than use it to get rid of that small amount of dead cap.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I am not saying it’s a deal for the Leafs. I am saying it’s a pretty even proposal. Also Kane is a significant upgrade on Ritchie if you are willing to ignore the garbage that comes with him

obviously for the Leafs, the deal only works if they really want Kane. They get him for almost nothing. They can always address the extra $1M up front on another deal.

To be fair, if one could "ignore" the garbage that went with him, he'd have already been traded, maybe with no retention or for some sort of positive value.

To me, "fair value" has absolutely no place in trades. It's all about whether both teams think they're better off the minute they've done the trade, in comparison to the minute before.

Kane is obviously a huge upgrade on Ritchie, and if the Leafs had another $1m to spend, then yeah, Ritchie+something for Kane could be a great deal *(removing Kane's baggage).

However, that isn't the case. The Leafs, when healthy, can paper a 21-man roster that only includes 6 defencemen.They've got a goalie who's up for a raise of somewhere between $3m and $5m. They've got a committed raise to Rielly of $2m; have $1.2m coming off the books, and are hoping for a $1m cap increase to remain.

They may need to be looking towards downgrading Ritchie, rather than spending more in that position.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Would still rather have that 20 OA than use it to get rid of that small amount of dead cap.

I can see your argument, I just don't think it's all that clear-cut.

Sure, if you get a player like Robert Thomas or Josh Norris, then yeah, you'd be kicking yourself for not buying him out.

On the flip side, you could end up with Urho Vaakanainen, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Timothy Liljegren, Jusso Valimaki, Erik Brannstrom... who aren't going to alleviate the $1.6m in dead cap for 3 years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I can see your argument, I just don't think it's all that clear-cut.

Sure, if you get a player like Robert Thomas or Josh Norris, then yeah, you'd be kicking yourself for not buying him out.

On the flip side, you could end up with Urho Vaakanainen, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Timothy Liljegren, Jusso Valimaki, Erik Brannstrom... who aren't going to alleviate the $1.6m in dead cap for 3 years.

A team that is either rebuilding or staring down the barrel of one because they miss the playoffs for three straight seasons and might lose their best forward needs to take that chance over worrying about a minor amount of cap dollars.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well Reimer plays hockey and mrazek doesn't. Based on his injury history he has one of the worst goalie contracts in the NHL aside from Murray.

This suggestion is laughable. There's no need for SJ to ruin their goaltending position to dump Kane.
Lol I disagree. There is not a significant difference between Mrazek and the Sharks’ two goalies

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Lol I disagree. There is not a significant difference between Mrazek and the Sharks’ two goalies

Thats fortunate you feel that way since Reimer has one of the best winning percentages in the NHL over past 3 years and mrazek is untradeable.

It's perfect!

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Thats fortunate you feel that way since Reimer has one of the best winning percentages in the NHL over past 3 years and mrazek is untradeable.

It's perfect!
Reimer was so good he lost his job to a rookie
He signed for back up money. He is having a good year so far but let see if he can keep his starter job

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Reimer was so good he lost his job to a rookie
He signed for back up money. He is having a good year so far but let see if he can keep his starter job

38-16-5 over last 3 seasons across two teams. Career .914 over 400 games. Wouldn't want to rush to conclusions, might pull a muscle like Mrazek.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
A team that is either rebuilding or staring down the barrel of one because they miss the playoffs for three straight seasons and might lose their best forward needs to take that chance over worrying about a minor amount of cap dollars.

If the decision was for a minor amount of cap dollars today or in the next 2-3 years, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you.

Personally, I philosophically believe that it's wrong for a rebuilding team about to embark on a rebuild, to handcuff themselves 4-6 years from now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the decision was for a minor amount of cap dollars today or in the next 2-3 years, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you.

Personally, I philosophically believe that it's wrong for a rebuilding team about to embark on a rebuild, to handcuff themselves 4-6 years from now.

I don’t have an issue with that philosophy but I also don’t believe that dead cap equates to handcuffing themselves either.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
38-16-5 over last 3 seasons across two teams. Career .914 over 400 games. Wouldn't want to rush to conclusions, might pull a muscle like Mrazek.
Nah, he is 33, I am safe. The moment you depend on Reimer, you are screwed. Btw, winning percentage means little for evaluating goalies

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Nah, he is 33, I am safe. The moment you depend on Reimer, you are screwed. Btw, winning percentage means little for evaluating goalies

Fascinating. Are we allowed to use games played, save percentage, wins or goals against? Or is it just entirely your imagination that were allowed to use?

Best of luck in your campaign to escape mrazek.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Awfully quiet on this. I’m guessing there are zero teams interested but could change as teams get desperate.
Maybe they are working on deals with retention and taking a cap dump back or ?? Something with more moving pieces than an easy one for one swap. Might need more than one team involved to get maximum retention ?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Kane the player is exactly what the Pens need to add to the top6, and at 50% a perfect fit cap-wise also. Kane the person and baggage is not.

I don’t think I would be able to not roll the dice if I was Hextall.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kane the player is exactly what the Pens need to add to the top6, and at 50% a perfect fit cap-wise also. Kane the person and baggage is not.

I don’t think I would be able to not roll the dice if I was Hextall.

Four more years.

Four.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Four more years.

Four.

Well, three after this season. At 3.5 if San Jose eats 50%.
Even if it doesn't work out, the cap-risk is manageable and more so if we have to pay very little to get him, which seems to be the expectation. Conversely, if it does work out, it's a home run.

The risk-reward looks appealing to me for a team that is slowly exiting its window yet doesn't necessarily need much to have a real shot for a couple of years more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad