Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A Bob for E Kane swap would look sexy for Florida

it’s just weird that he hasn’t been practicing with the team and then the coaches comments. I really hope he plays as I have him in my dynasty league. He’d help out any team.

It's a league rule that he can't be with the team while under suspension until ten days before it's up per Sharks broadcast.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Why would we trade Reimer when he's performing and has another year? Why wouldn't Mrazek have San Jose on his ten team no trade list? Would Reimer have Toronto on his five team no trade list given his stint in Toronto? Why would the Sharks want to add cap on top of retaining when that 1st is probably late and Ritchie is useless? That doesn't get into the reality that no team has retained this much with this much term and it's a huge jump to do so. Sharks aren't doing all that to get rid of Kane just for a 1st in the 20s.

Believe me, I don't like the deal for San Jose, but everyone insists it'll be impossible to move him...

Personally, I'm curious to see how it all plays out

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think the most likely scenario is a buyout in the offseason. There probably are some teams that are interested in Kane, but not enough to take him for free (even at 50% retained), as 3 x 3.5 mil is still a fair amount of risk. He'll probably go to a contender next year for a 1 x 1.5-2 mil contract once he gets bought out, similar to DeAngelo.

Reactions: YP44

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If they have to pay to make that happen then it isn't a win. For instance, if they have to pay a 2nd with Kane with 25% retained for say Erik Johnson, that's not really a win. The likely market for Kane is as a pure cap dump which always means that retention will be limited to about 2 mil at most and that the value of multiple 1st round picks are needed to make that trade because nobody wants him. Sharks simply aren't in a position to do what it would really take to offload Kane. So a buyout is more likely.

Ultimately, I think his skill level will allow SJ not to pay more than retention to move him

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
If he could play right wing...I wonder if Gerard Gallant and Ryan Reaves could tame him off the ice ? This guy could pull off another half decent contract if he cleaned up his act . He will be discussed by a few clubs if the price is low enough .

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ultimately, I think his skill level will allow SJ not to pay more than retention to move him

Given the reports that he was on a lot of teams do not trade for list when they first acquired him, I doubt it's a better situation now.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
It's a league rule that he can't be with the team while under suspension until ten days before it's up per Sharks broadcast.
Ohh that’s interesting but it’s the 23rd and to my knowledge he still isn’t with the team. His suspension is up in 3 days.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This is the only way that a 30g+ power forward is moved. ( Massive lock room issues).
I honestly don't know if a team will be willing to take the chance on him as he probably could be had for a bargain. Its just a matter of if a team can tame him and has a locker room sturdy enough to not be distracted and effected by his antics.
I originally thought there was no way anyone would take him , but there are some desperate teams needing his production that might be desperate enough to take a chance?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Nice wheels..

4oklxAY.jpg

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Remember when Bogosian only had about $3 million left on his contract? And he got some of that back with the Lightning? You think Kane is going to want to lose about $24 million?

Yeah I'm not saying it will happen here, just that that Bogo one still annoys me a bit :laugh:

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
is a late first really worth the years of retention for the sharks?
Retaining 50% is cheaper than buying him out. Not by much but it is. And 3 years shorter.
I don’t want the Leafs to get him but if anyone offers an asset for him at 50% retained the Sharks should take it.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Apparently he has three team trade list and the Sharks are making it known that they will retain.

The best thing he could do would be to go to the KHL and resurrect his image.

Reactions: Seattlebjprice

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Apparently he has three team trade list and the Sharks are making it known that they will retain.

Never going to happen. He has no money, terminating his contract would be a horrible Financial choice. Either he gets dealt, bought out at the end of the year, or does well and sticks

Reactions: banks

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If he could play right wing...I wonder if Gerard Gallant and Ryan Reaves could tame him off the ice ? This guy could pull off another half decent contract if he cleaned up his act . He will be discussed by a few clubs if the price is low enough .
Reaves and Kane would cause major issues in the same locker room. As an Islanders fan, I say go for it 100% and cause the Rangers to implode. As a hockey fan, keep Kane away from the NHL and send him to the next stratosphere until he stops being a cancer among his teammates.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
God hes exactly what toronto needs but aside from his problematic behaviour I dont think he'd come here because the media would destroy him.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
DW will showcase him for 20 games or so, he'll do well, and teams will be lining up at the deadline to make serious offers for him. Unlike most of the people on the internet, GMs really don't care about perceived "off ice issues" and "PR" and value talent above all else, and rightfully so.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
DW will showcase him for 20 games or so, he'll do well, and teams will be lining up at the deadline to make serious offers for him. Unlike most of the people on the internet, GMs really don't care about perceived "off ice issues" and "PR" and value talent above all else, and rightfully so.
Yeah if all that off ice stuff doesn’t matter why would the Sharks trade him?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Retaining 50% is cheaper than buying him out. Not by much but it is. And 3 years shorter.
I don’t want the Leafs to get him but if anyone offers an asset for him at 50% retained the Sharks should take it.

Doesn't mean it's worth it for the Sharks to do so. We're not paying to get rid of Kane. I don't think anyone will want Kane even at 50%. Any trade talk likely involves paying to move him or taking back a worse contract so it'll just be easier to buy him out.

Where did they make it known that they will retain?

Reactions: YP44

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Doesn't mean it's worth it for the Sharks to do so. We're not paying to get rid of Kane. I don't think anyone will want Kane even at 50%. Any trade talk likely involves paying to move him or taking back a worse contract so it'll just be easier to buy him out.
Yeah I don’t really disagree that you shouldn’t pay a prohibitive price to get rid of him.
But if anyone offers an asset for him at 50% retention the Sharks should take it.
I don’t know that anyone will offer anything. He is definitely damaged goods at this point. I get that he is a great player but he comes with tons of baggage. I have seen people say that a veteran team with good leadership could use him. But the Sharks have had great veteran leaders in his time there and he still has caused problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad