Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hes got 21+ coming to him

Its not pro-rated if he's sent to the AHL.

He will report.

Teams will do their due diligence on him and make all the right comments when they acquire him.

As far as the game goes, he's solid and can score.

Keep his head on straight and he could be a good add at the deadline.

SJ will have to retain. 25% should net them a decent return.

5.25 per for Evander is a nice add

All of the above is assuming he gets his shit together

Unless they’re getting a positive asset out of it, they won’t consider that but why would another team take this distressed asset when the Sharks have no leverage? People aren’t really thinking this through. Sharks would have to do some combination of retaining and/or take back a bad deal and/or pay an acquiring team to move Kane. For a team in the Sharks’ situation, that’s likely counterproductive. If they wanted to do any of that, they would’ve done it with Jones but didn’t. Nothing has changed to make them do that for Kane so he’ll get bought out.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Unless they’re getting a positive asset out of it, they won’t consider that but why would another team take this distressed asset when the Sharks have no leverage? People aren’t really thinking this through. Sharks would have to do some combination of retaining and/or take back a bad deal and/or pay an acquiring team to move Kane. For a team in the Sharks’ situation, that’s likely counterproductive. If they wanted to do any of that, they would’ve done it with Jones but didn’t. Nothing has changed to make them do that for Kane so he’ll get bought out.

Retention is a given, but if they can retain an amount less than the buyout amount that's a win

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Can't see anyone trading for him and can't see him playing again this year. prob sits the year out and gets bought out. will probably get another chance in the off season

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Retention is a given, but if they can retain an amount less than the buyout amount that's a win
With his contract structure they would save money and cap space at 50% retention 2 of the next 3 seasons. And then wouldn’t have him on the cap for the 3 seasons after that like they would with a buyout.
It’s the 2M in signing bonus 2 of the next 3 seasons that cause that.

Reactions: tgo0

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I don't really want him, but Burke wants his tough guy.

Jason zucker for E. Kane w/ 2.5 mil retention.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
What happens if he refuses assignment? Can the Sharks void his contract?

No. Voiding a contract isn't really a thing. Even when LA terminated Mike Richards' contract, they were still left with a cap hit because of it.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
What if he ended up with your boys? because with Kucherov and point out I could see it.
The trade would have to happen prior to the trade deadline (not even sure when that is) and one of the injuries would have to have a timetable that keeps them out until the playoffs begin. We'd also probably need retention from 1 team if not 2.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Considering he was suspended for submitting false proof of vaccination has he been vaccinated yet?
Because if not it would drop his already negative value.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If they have to pay to make that happen then it isn't a win. For instance, if they have to pay a 2nd with Kane with 25% retained for say Erik Johnson, that's not really a win. The likely market for Kane is as a pure cap dump which always means that retention will be limited to about 2 mil at most and that the value of multiple 1st round picks are needed to make that trade because nobody wants him. Sharks simply aren't in a position to do what it would really take to offload Kane. So a buyout is more likely.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Some team will inquire. He's not Voynov level backlisted but you'd think he's 1 more hiccup away from it.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
I think keeping wages is a necessary factor.
How much payroll withholding makes sense?
From (@$2.5M ret) to (@$3.0M ret). Check out the hockey player's contract buyout page.

Evander Kane Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Notice the CAP HIT column.
2022-23 - $3,66M, 2023-24 - $2,66M, 2024-25 - $4,66M.
The number of sixes scares me a little.

Accordingly, it makes sense:
Evander Kane AAV $4,0M (@$3.0M ret), UFA 2025
A third team can be involved in the exchange (@$2.0M ret) (AAV $2,0M).
Who will pay the third team? Probably the player's new team. It is not expensive.

How much is the Evander Kane AAV $ 4.0M?
I do not know. Perhaps someone else might guess.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
As long as Kane has some value, the Sharks should do what they can to cash him out and build the team. Buying him out should not be an option.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Loaned to the KHL and bought out is my guess. Has a “change of character” apologizes for everything and signs on a 1 year NHL contract with a team that’s not in the spotlight

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What happens to Evander Kane?

I expect jail will happen sometime in the future. ... eventually.
This guy is a walking talking screw up. When the big money dries up he's gonna do something stupid.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
By reports I've heard the team, and his own fellow team mates, don't want him back so there is a good chance he doesn't play again for the Sharks. With his contract I can't see him having any real value unless SJ retains a bunch but that doesn't really make sense for them, might be better to just buy him out rather than retain a lot. Someone mentioned that DeAngelo found a home, different story, he found a home after a buyout and at a 1M cap hit. Someone else mentioned Calgary, no thanks left wing is our strongest position, even if it wasn't they wouldn't screw up their chemistry adding a headcase like Kane. He doesn't exactly strike me as a team first Sutter type player.

Do you waive him and send him to the AHL?
I guess you could try to force him to ride the bus and quit but with his debts he can't really afford to quit.
If they can't find a trade partner with minimal retention it's probably best just to tell him not to report.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad