Sharks Training Camp 2015

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He's the only OA they kept. (The other three unsigned OAs were returned to their CHL teams today.)

Yep and I think it was the right thing to do for all 3 of them.

I think Helewka could certainly benefit from another year with Spokane but the org seems to really like his size, compete level, motor, grit...he has a pretty decent skill set as well.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The Chiefs will be painful to watch this season without Helewka so I selfishly hope he returns but I think he's ready to go pro. I was already expecting him to get signed as a FA this summer if he wasn't drafted.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
DiPaolo can play in the AHL, Fitzgerald can't, he's only 19....

DiPaolo put up 4 puts in the ECHL last year, I doubt he makes the Barracuda. Unlike DiPaolo I have watched a lot of Fitzgerald (going through archived games to watch Meier), and I can safely assume that Fitzgerald has a higher potential.

Why not sign Fitzgerald?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yep and I think it was the right thing to do for all 3 of them.

I think Helewka could certainly benefit from another year with Spokane but the org seems to really like his size, compete level, motor, grit...he has a pretty decent skill set as well.

:shakehead

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
DiPaolo put up 4 puts in the ECHL last year, I doubt he makes the Barracuda. Unlike DiPaolo I have watched a lot of Fitzgerald (going through archived games to watch Meier), and I can safely assume that Fitzgerald has a higher potential.

Why not sign Fitzgerald?

No idea.......prob bite us in the ass down the road......nothing seems to rattle him....plays a quiet, effective game.....def knows position

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Why not sign Fitzgerald?

I wouldn't be too surprised if he's signed (probably AHL) & plays some for the Barracuda.

I may sound like a broken record but he's the kind of player Sommer really likes, plus he's a righty & the SJB don't have many of those this season.

As for Fitzgerald, I don't think there's much NHL upside there & I believe the deadline to sign undrafted prospects that are still eligible to re-enter the draft has passed.

Last edited:

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
they dislike boudreau this much they sent him back already? didn't he do well in the prospect camp?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Didn't sign him by 6/1 so he became UFA.

Maybe he'll be back for AHL camp. :sarcasm:

That's pretty telling on what the coaches might be thinking with lines & D pairings.

Looking forward to seeing them in action this morning.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So for NHL forwards:

Group A
Pavelski-Thorton-Hertl
Wingels-Tierney-Nieto
Donskoi

Group B
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Karlsson-Smith-Goodrow
Torres/Goldobin

What does anyone else think?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
So for NHL forwards:

Group A
Pavelski-Thorton-Hertl
Wingels-Tierney-Nieto
Donskoi

Group B
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Karlsson-Smith-Goodrow
Torres/Goldobin

Maybe not right off the bat but put Torres next to Smith & that's pretty much what I think as well.

I'd really prefer they swap Hertl & Ward (both at RW) as L1 could really use a good F1 & L2 could use a good F2.

On D:
Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-DeMelo
Tennyson-Mueller

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
So for NHL forwards:

Group A
Pavelski-Thorton-Hertl
Wingels-Tierney-Nieto
Donskoi

Group B
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Karlsson-Smith-Goodrow
Torres/Goldobin

Looks good. No big surprises. Not a big fan of Karlsson on the 4th line, but not sure where else you would put him. Too many 2nd/3rd liners, which is a nice problem to have. I can see Tierney, Nieto, Hertl and Karlsson moving around a bunch depending on who is playing well at the moment.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
So for NHL forwards:

Group A
Pavelski-Thorton-Hertl
Wingels-Tierney-Nieto
Donskoi

Group B
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Karlsson-Smith-Goodrow
Torres/Goldobin

Agree with this based on how the groups are separated, but man I wish they swap Hertl and Ward as well. Hertl rarely possesses the puck on that line and becomes sort of an afterthought playing with Thornton and Pavelski. Much better for his development if he is 'the guy' on the third line or even playing with Marleau and Couture.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Maybe not right off the bat but put Torres next to Smith & that's pretty much what I think as well.

I'd really prefer they swap Hertl & Ward (both at RW) as L1 could really use a good F1 & L2 could use a good F2.

On D:
Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-DeMelo
Tennyson-Mueller

Literally the first thing I noticed about those groups was Dillon-Demelo. :laugh:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Literally the first thing I noticed about those groups was Dillon-Demelo. :laugh:

I want to say I'm surprised they're looking for him to take the #6 spot but I'm not.

Actually, there is nothing surprising at all about any of the 'top 4' lines or D pairings.

Edit: Brown is on the "4th" line in this group, likely very wishful thinking on my part but maybe there's a chance he won't be on the NHL roster.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I want to say I'm surprised they're looking for him to take the #6 spot but I'm not.

Actually, there is nothing surprising at all about any of the 'top 4' lines or D pairings.

How is it that the org can be that high on a player who by most accounts is mediocre in the AHL at best? Honestly, are they just that dumb, or do they know
something we don't?

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of Ward on the second line. Like others said, if they switch Hertl and Ward I'd be happy.

Sr, what kind of shot does Goldobin have at making the team, if any? I don't like the lack of a playmaker on the 2nd line and he could eventually be a fit, no?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
How is it that the org can be that high on a player who by most accounts is mediocre in the AHL at best? Honestly, are they just that dumb, or do they know
something we don't?

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of Ward on the second line. Like others said, if they switch Hertl and Ward I'd be happy.

Sr, what kind of shot does Goldobin have at making the team, if any? I don't like the lack of a playmaker on the 2nd line and he could eventually be a fit, no?

As I said I'd like to see 42 & 48 swapped.

As for Goldobin or Donskoi, I think barring injuries or them severely outplaying one of the top 9 W's they both start in the AHL.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It is seriously only like day 1 or 2 of the main camp people. These line combos that are being used right now will most likely be changed 300 times before even the 1st preseason game let alone the end of the season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It is seriously only like day 1 or 2 of the main camp people. These line combos that are being used right now will most likely be changed 300 times before even the 1st preseason game let alone the end of the season.

Only!? ugh...the offseason is too long. I miss the regular season.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

While I realize that these lines aren't set in stone, they line up perfectly with stuff the coaching staff has said, so I think they should be read into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad