Sharks/Stars rivalry

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Yeah, I agree with Requin. Our biggest rival of all time, but no more. Only place it is strong is with us Sharks fans who live in the Dallas area. Given that most seasons the only Sharks games we attend are those in Dallas, the hatred still runs deep. :D

And on a more serious note, our experiences attending games in Dallas aren't exactly pleasant. In fact, they are mostly awful. Some fans are cool, but every single time we attend there are too many fans who are beyond rude and our experiences (We have a fan club here) don't seem to match Sharks fans who attend road games in other cities.

Way to represent in enemy territory! :handclap:

What do you think it would take for another team - Kings, presumably - to surpass the Stars as our all-time biggest rival? I would say we have to start matching their success for it to be a true rivalry. If we win a cup in the next few years while maintaining this level of hatred, that would definitely do it.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
This used to be my favorite rivalry. Dallas was such a fun team to hate and the games against them were always chippy and exciting. But, as others have said, realignment sort of killed the rivalry between the two teams now that Dallas is in the Central.

Now I actually sort of like the Stars. Benn and Seguin are awesome players and the only dirtbag on the team now is Roussel. But I'll always remember those great battles in the early and mid 2000s when Dallas had Modano, Morrow and Turco all in their prime.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I was wondering how much of a rivalry Sharks fans still feel with the Stars. The last big moment was our playoff meeting in 2008, but after that we really struggled and then in 2013 we were put in separate divisions. I definitely remember the intensity and animosity that existed in this rivalry from 1997-2008. And as we know, we came within a game of playing you guys in the WCF and renewing the rivalry.

Watching the SCF, I was cheering hard for you guys (hate the Pens). At first it felt weird, but then it hit me that I don't feel the rivalry as that strong anymore. It's mostly a combination of time, being in different divisions, and the rosters being completely different from when the rivalry was big.

For you guys, does the Sharks/Stars rivalry still exist or is it a thing of the past?

I really wish it still did because that was one of my favorites. I'll never forget the Sharks crowd yelling "Tuuuurrrrrrccoooooo"

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

What do you think it would take for another team - Kings, presumably - to surpass the Stars as our all-time biggest rival? I would say we have to start matching their success for it to be a true rivalry. If we win a cup in the next few years while maintaining this level of hatred, that would definitely do it.

I agree. I think our biggest rival at the moment is the Kings, but until we win a Cup, it's just not as intense as the old Stars rivalry was.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com

We didn't have to match the Stars success for them to be a big rival. Or the Wings.

No one will be as hated as Belfour (for me at least), that makes it hard. If someone beats the **** out of Dustin Brown it might help with the rivalry too. But, I dunno, LA as a rival just feels so...boring. Of course LA is a rival, but that's no fun.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Thank you. It's not an easy job (repping in Enemy Territory), but I love the Sharks more than I hate Dallas/going to games in Dallas!

I firmly believe rivals are born and solidified in the playoffs. So simply more playoff series between the teams, maybe a year when one team is a WC crossover to the other side of the bracket and we get a Kings/Sharks WCF would be the time that an argument can be made that it has surpassed Dallas as the all-time rival. It's pretty close though.

I actually think the best question is what people think of the Sharks/Wings rivalry now. That used to be a premier rivalry going back to 93-94, but now it is completely dead with the Wings move to the East. Not only is it dead, but I think many people forget how intense it was in those parts of three decades. I'm still haunted by the 94-95 tennis series, but the 93-94 upset really got me into Sharks/hockey. I'm also haunted by being 30 seconds away from being up 3-1 on them in 06-07 WCSF. (I was in my season ticket seats at the time, two rows behind visitors bench. Ughhhh)

And love the last 2 playoff series vs Wings, except the inability to close them out in latter one, which probably had an impact on that WCF vs. Nucks.

Last edited:

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I actually think the best question is what people think of the Sharks/Wings rivalry now. That used to be a premier rivalry going back to 93-94, but now it is completely dead with the Wings move to the East. Not only is it dead, but I think many people forget how intense it was in those parts of three decades. I'm still haunted by the 94-95 tennis series, but the 93-94 upset really got me into Sharks/hockey. I'm also haunted by being 30 seconds away from being up 3-1 on them in 06-07 WCSF. (I was in my season ticket seats at the time, two rows behind visitors bench. Ughhhh)

And love the last 2 playoff series vs Wings, except the inability to close them out in latter one, which probably had an impact on that WCF vs. Nucks.

The old rivalry with detroit is more alive for me than the Dallas one. Dallas rivalry is completely dead to me.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Same! Really wanted a series against them, for old time's sake.

IMHO, the rivalry is all but dead, but I still consider it the biggest rivalry in Sharks history.

Back in the day, I hated the Stars much more than I have ever hated the Ducks or Kings. So many hateable players... and the fact that from 1998-2007, only Sharks or Stars ever won the Pacific division. Plus there is a regional hatred of CA vs TX that is more deep-seeded than NorCal vs SoCal.

I haven't forgotten, and I still root against them regularly. :D

Agreed. Between Belfour, Hatcher, Ludwig, Matvichuk, Verbeek, Marshall, Langenbrunner, Hitchcock, etc., it was a very unlikable group who hooked and held their way to a Cup after Benedict Belfour jumped ship. Still my most hated team of all-time, more than the mid-late 2000s Ducks, and more than the current Kings.

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
I hate all of Stards, Kings, Ducks and Red Wings. If the universe has any justice none of those teams win the cup ever again.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I will try to make every trip to Vegas to see the Sharks. A good excuse for me to go to Vegas and see the team!

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo

I never really felt the Wings rivalry - maybe because I was too young for early 90s, maybe because my family is from MI, or maybe because players-wise, their team has hard to hate in the last decade+.

That '07 series though.... still haunts me as well. That was the year my Sharks fandom went from Solid Fan to Unhealthy Obsession (see: join date), and I really thought we had a shot. The tying goal in game 4, ugh, I can see it like it was yesterday... and Schneider's winner.... painful memories, friend.

Agreed. Between Belfour, Hatcher, Ludwig, Matvichuk, Verbeek, Marshall, Langenbrunner, Hitchcock, etc., it was a very unlikable group who hooked and held their way to a Cup after Benedict Belfour jumped ship. Still my most hated team of all-time, more than the mid-late 2000s Ducks, and more than the current Kings.

Word. Although 2007 Ducks are pretty high up there on my hate list; I still get twitchy when any of those players are mentioned. Like even this year, I raged every time Kunitz was on the screen. It's a gut reaction. :laugh:

I will try to make every trip to Vegas to see the Sharks. A good excuse for me to go to Vegas and see the team!

Honestly, the most exciting thing about Vegas expansion is the potential for hockey game vacations. It'll be fun because you'll always be guaranteed to have a fairly large Away Fan contingent.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The Stars rivalry definitely died down for me, but they still hold a sour place in my heart. I went to SJ (grew up in Connecticut) for the first time during spring break in highschool in 08. Right after the Soupy trade, in the middle of their amazing 18-0-2 end to the season or whatever it was. 2 games in SJ (Blues and Oilers) then down to LA, the back up to SJ (Wild and ducks (i think)) for 2 more.

i wrote the team and said i was coming from connecticut, and the hooked me up with going to game day practice, met the team coming out of the lockerroom and got everyone's autograph (except marleau, that dick), talked the DW for about 15 mins.

Anyway, that year they went down 3-0, after winning a great game 7 vs CAL. Then game 4 we got a solid win on the road, game 5 Morrow had those two goals disallowed and pavelski cemented himself as a clutch scorer with that laser in OT, and in game 6, 3am in CT, i watch Nabokov make the best save i've ever seen, only to have defensive hero Campbell take a bad penalty and scum of the earth Morrow score on the powerplay to eliminate us.

The Stars took my immense joy, my belief in comebacks, and my hope for a deep run, and squashed it. **** them

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
hmm possible fake concept art:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad