Sharks/Stars rivalry

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I was wondering how much of a rivalry Sharks fans still feel with the Stars. The last big moment was our playoff meeting in 2008, but after that we really struggled and then in 2013 we were put in separate divisions. I definitely remember the intensity and animosity that existed in this rivalry from 1997-2008. And as we know, we came within a game of playing you guys in the WCF and renewing the rivalry.

Watching the SCF, I was cheering hard for you guys (hate the Pens). At first it felt weird, but then it hit me that I don't feel the rivalry as that strong anymore. It's mostly a combination of time, being in different divisions, and the rosters being completely different from when the rivalry was big.

For you guys, does the Sharks/Stars rivalry still exist or is it a thing of the past?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see it as much of a rivalry anymore. There just hasn't been any games or playoff series that really draw that kind of reaction. 2008 was our last playoff series together and that didn't really have that much heat to it. The games are chippy during the season but those only linger for so long. This rivalry only really got heat when Belfour was involved...at least to me. Nowadays especially with divisional playoffs, I just don't see it as a rivalry anymore.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Thing of the past honestly but I'll never forget the mid 2000's battles with Turco.

The new playoff seeding has all but eliminated cross-devision rivalries.

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
Honestly I was hoping the Stars would advance over the Blues.

Sharks have never beaten Dallas in a playoff series and I wanted to see that happen.

I definitely still consider the Stars a rival.

I went to Reunion in 95 wearing my Sharks sweater. People were pretty tame. A few snickers.

I remember driving in Dallas and hearing on their radio that Chris Terreri had just been traded to the Sharks. He played in the game which was a tough 2-1 loss

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Not just Belfour but Marchment and Nolan were hated by the Stars and their fans. Especially Mush breaking Nieuwendyk's leg and injuring Modano and Nolan suckerpunching Marshall.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
No Belfour or Turco, no problem for me. Stars have a likable team, they are fun to watch.

Mush's hit on Nieuwendyk was clean, BTW.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Once Richards, Turco, Morrow, Modano, Robidas, etc. left, I just had no ire remaining towards the Stars. Then the Jamie Benn Hype Train started and now I'm just passively annoyed by them.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Stars changed their entire roster, wear differnt uniforms, changed divisions and traded for this guy…

1ktjYRm.jpg

I barely recognize them anymore. :laugh:

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
**** Ed Belfour.

My dislike of the Stars these days is mostly rooted in my past hatred for them, and general hatred towards all sports teams associated with Dallas. But yeah, not as intense as it used to be.

Still, **** Ed Belfour.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I think its died down for obvious reasons, but when you guys were in the Pacific, I had some very strong and negative thoughts about the Dallas Stars. With all due respect!

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The rivalry is ice cold to the point of barely registering anymore

I still hate your team, though

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
My fondest tank memory is watching the Shark clinch a playoff spot by beating Dullass 5-2 and then watching the end of another game on the screen.

I used to hate the Stars, because you were always better, but then you weren't good enough and went to another division. Would love to have another playoff series to get the animosity going again.

Now I just have contempt for your franchise. Being gifted a Cup by the league via a non-goal is shameful and disgusting.

Benn seems cool, but Seguin seems to be a *********. Kind of reminds me of the cool Modano and the ********* Belfour.

Beating Capt Kangaroo in the WCF was nice, but it would have been better if he was coaching the stars instead.

I like that we have Nolan and Marchment around still. Those players wrecking stars players was my desktop picture many times. I think you did cause DW to sign Burish to a terrible contract so now I am getting annoyed again.

How do you like Demers? It was a bad trade for the Sharks, though I like Dillon.

I would like to see the animosity happen again. Let us meet in the next WCF.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Long term rivalries are not built on hated players/plays within a series. Short term yes, long term no.

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Honestly I was hoping the Stars would advance over the Blues.

Sharks have never beaten Dallas in a playoff series and I wanted to see that happen.

I definitely still consider the Stars a rival.

I went to Reunion in 95 wearing my Sharks sweater. People were pretty tame. A few snickers.

I remember driving in Dallas and hearing on their radio that Chris Terreri had just been traded to the Sharks. He played in the game which was a tough 2-1 loss

Same! Really wanted a series against them, for old time's sake.

IMHO, the rivalry is all but dead, but I still consider it the biggest rivalry in Sharks history.

Back in the day, I hated the Stars much more than I have ever hated the Ducks or Kings. So many hateable players... and the fact that from 1998-2007, only Sharks or Stars ever won the Pacific division. Plus there is a regional hatred of CA vs TX that is more deep-seeded than NorCal vs SoCal.

I haven't forgotten, and I still root against them regularly. :D

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Yeah, I agree with Requin. Our biggest rival of all time, but no more. Only place it is strong is with us Sharks fans who live in the Dallas area. Given that most seasons the only Sharks games we attend are those in Dallas, the hatred still runs deep. :D

And on a more serious note, our experiences attending games in Dallas aren't exactly pleasant. In fact, they are mostly awful. Some fans are cool, but every single time we attend there are too many fans who are beyond rude and our experiences (We have a fan club here) don't seem to match Sharks fans who attend road games in other cities.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad