Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Gomez to 1 year $700k deal (Burns to IR to make roster spot)

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If anyone is bumped it'll be Zeus or Sheppard. Burish and Desi are essential to the line up.

Gomez was skating between Sheppard and Burish today so that's sort of a sign it might be Desjardins, who really hasn't been great to start the season. He hasn't been bad but he's one of a few players who really look like they haven't played NHL hockey in a while.

McLellan also sounded pretty sure that Gomez will be used at center.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
#1 unit: Marleau-Thornton- Pavs
Boyle-Demers

#2 unit: Couture- Gomez- Clowe
Havlat- Burns

Seems kinda pointless to switch Demers and Couture and then try Havlat on the point. The first PP unit is lethal, they could just keep it as is. Then for the 2nd unit, they could do
Clowe - Gomez - Havlat
Burns - Demers

BadVooDoo

May 3, 2010
Gomez was skating between Sheppard and Burish today so that's sort of a sign it might be Desjardins, who really hasn't been great to start the season. He hasn't been bad but he's one of a few players who really look like they haven't played NHL hockey in a while.

McLellan also sounded pretty sure that Gomez will be used at center.

Yikes. Handzus really needs an extended stay in the press box. Three games in and he's a team worst -28 in Corsi (-10 last night) and -10 (-2 last night) in scoring chances. In comparison Desjardins sits at -8 Corsi and -2 in scoring chances after a particularly rough game last night.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Yikes. Handzus really needs an extended stay in the press box. Three games in and he's a team worst -28 in Corsi (-10 last night) and -10 (-2 last night) in scoring chances. In comparison Desjardins sits at -8 Corsi and -2 in scoring chances after a particularly rough game last night.

I honestly don't think he's been bad. He looks more mobile than Clowe, is a huge body in front of the net, and is great at faceoffs. When you start nearly all your shifts in the defensive zone (haven't looked it up, but I'm assuming that's what's happening with Handzus), it's really hard to have a + number in those two categories.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I honestly don't think he's been bad. He looks more mobile than Clowe, is a huge body in front of the net, and is great at faceoffs. When you start nearly all your shifts in the defensive zone (haven't looked it up, but I'm assuming that's what's happening with Handzus), it's really hard to have a + number in those two categories.

He leads the team in O zone starts...
I agree he "looks" better so far this year but the results just aren't there, yet. He has been good on the PK (relatively speakng).

I also don't see McLellan benching him after heaping praise on him today. I really do think he's on a short leash this year though.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
He leads the team in O zone starts...

:laugh:
Nevermind then. So he's 15-1 in the faceoff circle and then they go straight into the defensive zone to get outshot? That's awful.
He looks good though. Clowe looks legit awful.

By the way, what website are you guys using? Behindthenet isn't updated for this season yet.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nevermind then. So he's 15-1 in the faceoff circle and then they go straight into the defensive zone to get outshot? That's awful.

By the way, what website are you guys using? Behindthenet isn't updated for this season yet.

It sort of is. It's a really rough version. I assume (hope?) the layout's gonna be upgraded, but it's something.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/stats_2013.html

But yeah, that's Handzus for you. :laugh:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Sort of. You can pull stats there like you usually would but you have to change the year in the link/url from 2011 to 2012.

Ryane Clowe is actually faring pretty well, likely because Couture has been ridiculous w/ Havlat just behind him. I do still think they benefit from playing with him as well, even if he looks like crap right now.

CBJenga

May 30, 2008

Does corsi control for the 5-3? Because while that is incredibly bad, he was on for 1:48 of a 5-3 PK, that directs a LOT shots on the defensive net...

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Does corsi control for the 5-3? Because while that is incredibly bad, he was on for 1:48 of a 5-3 PK, that directs a LOT shots on the defensive net...

Yes, it's all based on ES time on ice and adjusted per 60 minutes of ice time.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
How is it Zeus' fault if he wins the face off and possession is driven the other way?

I personally like him out there. The shot differential sucks, but do you remember being nervous at any time? I'm guessing they weren't great quality

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
The problem with the third line is that while they are winning the draws and holding posession, they are kept to the outside and can't get many shots or scoring chances. They need a playmaker to let the wingers get to the net.

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
The problem with the third line is that while they are winning the draws and holding posession, they are kept to the outside and can't get many shots or scoring chances. They need a playmaker to let the wingers get to the net.
It would actually help if the wingers actually crashed the net occasionally. More than once were they just circling around the boards against the coyotes and not a single one of them went for the net!

ieglover

Mar 19, 2006

With the way our top 6 is playing, having a 3rd line gain and hold possession is what we need from them, assuming they are playing against the other teams 1st or 2nd line.

Obviously, additional scoring is nice, but if our 3rd and 4th lines play even, the sharks be doing very well.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Habs fan!

What is your evalutation of Scott Gomez so far? Is he the right 3rd center for you?

We like him. He created lots of chances last game with the Couture and Havlat line. Got an assist on the game tying goal.

We have had no luck with our finishers on the bottom two lines but Gomez has created chances for sure while centering the 3rd (or 4th) lines.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Hi Sharks fans! I need your help. Why is Gomez wearing number 23 and not 11? In Montreal it was really important to him to get number 11 and now when i was seeing him wearing other number i thought there must be a good reason for it. I looked wikipedia and saw that number is avaible so it can't be the reason. I appreciate your help, thanks.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Hi Sharks fans! I need your help. Why is Gomez wearing number 23 and not 11? In Montreal it was really important to him to get number 11 and now when i was seeing him wearing other number i thought there must be a good reason for it. I looked wikipedia and saw that number is avaible so it can't be the reason. I appreciate your help, thanks.

Gomez originally wore 23 with New Jersey, but had to change it over the years due to it being taken/retired/etc. I don't think anyone in SJ will ever wear 11 since Owen Nolan left, whether it's officially "retired" or not.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

There's this dude called Owen Nolan who once played for the Sharks and I think he was kinda important to this organization, the fans, and everything about hockey in the Bay Area. Nolan still tweets the Sharks' players, mascot, beat writer, and public faces, lives in he Bay Area and is friends with current Sharks who weren't even in the NHL when Owen was a Shark, had his retirement ceremony here, and publicly roots for Bay Area sports teams. He wore #11, FYI.

EDIT: I agree with the above. Even if #11 is never officially retired, no scrubs is ever going to wear it.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I don't think anyone in SJ will ever wear 11 since Owen Nolan left, whether it's officially "retired" or not.

EDIT: I agree with the above. Even if #11 is never officially retired, no scrubs is ever going to wear it.

Marcel Goc says hi.

Well, he's not a scrub but neither is Gomez. :p:

Honestly, I don't think Gomez picking 23 had anything to do with Nolan. Probably had more to do with wanting a fresh start with no attachments to what happened in Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad