Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Gomez to 1 year $700k deal (Burns to IR to make roster spot)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Gomez would not have been bought out if he was still a top-6 player. Anyone expecting him to play at that level will surely be disappointed.

I swear this reminds me of people penciling Colin White in the lineup next to Boyle after he was bought out. :rolleyes:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Gomez would not have been bought out if he was still a top-6 player. Anyone expecting him to play at that level will surely be disappointed.

I swear this reminds me of people penciling in the lineup Colin White next to Boyle after he was bought out. :rolleyes:

Me too. I'm wary of the enthusiasm.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
What the Sharks need is someone with puck possession skills, can drive play and can skate to replace Zus on the 3rd line. They also need someone w/ some puck skills who can center the second PP unit - Gomez is all of these things.

There is very little chance he's worse than Zus at ES or Tommy Wingels on the PP. It's worth getting a bit excited about in my opinion.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What the Sharks need is someone with puck possession skills, can drive play and can skate to replace Zus on the 3rd line. They also need someone w/ some puck skills who can center the second PP unit - Gomez is all of these things.

There is very little chance he's worse than Zus at ES or Tommy Wingels on the PP. It's worth getting a bit excited about in my opinion.

A bit excited is fine. I'm a bit excited. But thinking he should be a full-time top-6 player? That he makes Clowe expendable? That he's still an elite player? That's optimistic, to say the least.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Gomez replaces Wingels in the 2nd PP unit as expected. However, it looks like he'll be the 4th line center to start. Also Sheppard might actually get another chance. Thought he would be the odd man out.

Gomez to Sheppard for Sheppard's 1st goal :naughty:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
A bit excited is fine. I'm a bit excited. But thinking he should be a full-time top-6 player? That he makes Clowe expendable? That he's still an elite player? That's optimistic, to say the least.

Haven't really read through this that closely, didn't realize anyone thought that he makes Clowe expendable...that is kinda funny.

I also didn't realize anyone expected that he'd be more than a 3rd liner who might get some spot duty in the top 6 if needed and get some PP time.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Looks like we'll start to find out tomorrow.

Looks like we'll see Scott Gomez tomorrow. That and some more notes from #SJSharks practice today: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin-kurz/gomez-likely-debut-saturday …

I like this quote from Clowe:

“It’s a pretty good second unit when you put myself, Marty and Gomer on there,†Clowe said. “It’s two pretty solid units out there, especially with the first unit going the way they are. One thing about Gomer, is the ability to pass the puck is a real threat. We have three lefties, and I kind of want to get to the net a bit more.â€

With Gomez in the mix maybe he'll finally stop trying to be Jumbo-lite and get back to doing the things that made him a great power forward.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Haven't really read through this that closely, didn't realize anyone thought that he makes Clowe expendable...that is kinda funny.

I also didn't realize anyone expected that he'd be more than a 3rd liner who might get some spot duty in the top 6 if needed and get some PP time.

I think those are both opinions of the heavy minority.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
With Gomez in the mix maybe he'll finally stop trying to be Jumbo-lite and get back to doing the things that made him a great power forward.

Maybe he thinks he has to be the playmaker with Couture and Havlat, and that's why we see him trying to force miracle Thornton passes?

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Clowe has sucked ES and PP but you can't blame him on the PP. The Sharks overload the #1 unit with Jumbo, Patty, Pavs, Boyle, and Logan and the 2nd unit consists of Clowe, Havlat, Wingels, Vlasic, and Braun. Wingels doesn't belong and Vlasic has improved but if Burns and Demers were healthy he wouldn't be out there probably.

If everyone was healthy it would be interesting to see

#1 unit: Marleau-Thornton- Pavs
Boyle-Demers

#2 unit: Couture- Gomez- Clowe
Havlat- Burns

Don't know if Havlat has run the point before but I think he could do it.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Sure it does. Those subtle differences are what separate the elite shooters like Stamkos, Ovechkin from everyone else.

Both Pavelski and Couture have above average shots, Marleau's is better then both of them and he's still not on Stamkos' level.

At game speed, Couture is a better shooter than Pavs, in terms of velocity, accuracy and release. I'd categorize Pavelski as an average game shooter and an above average shootout shot. Pavelski is not an above average shooter by NHL standards. He's an above average player, IMO, but it's not because of his shot.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
" ... he led Montreal in primary assists per 60 minutes last season, despite his gruesome lack of goal-scoring ability."

Hopefully Wingels and Galiardi can make use of some of his playmaking.

This would be where he earns his pay and then some. Wingels has a great shot and a quick release, but he can't create his own shots. Give him a good puck possession/setup center (and maybe a more rugged off wing) and I think he can put some pucks in the back of the net. Give him Zues all season, and he'll have 3-5 goals at the end.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
At game speed, Couture is a better shooter than Pavs, in terms of velocity, accuracy and release. I'd categorize Pavelski as an average game shooter and an above average shootout shot. Pavelski is not an above average shooter by NHL standards. He's an above average player, IMO, but it's not because of his shot.

uh oh, dont call pavs shot average...likely to be called delusional.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Thats my hope for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad