Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Gomez to 1 year $700k deal (Burns to IR to make roster spot)

IamJebus

Feb 21, 2007
5 Min from the Tank!
http://goldengatesports.com/2013/01/18/report-sharks-tender-offer-to-scott-gomez/

The San Jose Sharks have tendered an offer to unrestricted free agent Scott Gomez, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Gomez was placed on waivers by the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday, who will be held accountable for his $7.3 million salary.
The forward had a disappointing 2011-2012 season with Montreal, scoring two goals with nine assists in 38 games.
Gomez, who is 33, was a solid player for the Devils and Rangers for the first nine years of his career. He recorded 33 goals and 51 assists with the Devils during the 2005-2006 season.
General manager Doug Wilson has been quoted as saying that the Sharks would not be active in the free agent market before the start of the regular season on Sunday, but it appears like he’s making an exception for Gomez.

Please....DW....no.....

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose
Im loving this, Gomez > Handzus. If you read any of the FTF threads about why Gomez should be signed, they made a lot of sense. Gomez has much better playmaking ability than Handzus, they probably have the same amount of speed, but its his puck possession game that lets the play of the puck in the opponents end of the ice is what intrigues me.

Let me ask you this, who would you rather have center your 3rd line in the playoffs Handzus or Gomez? Gomez has always performed well in the playoffs, his last two appearance he put up 18 pts in 26 games. Not too shabby, he will bounce back with whoever he plays with this year.

With the Sharks depleted on defense, their top 9 guys will have to outscore their opponents this season.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
If there's multiple teams after him he won't choose the Sharks. If the Sharks are the only ones after him then DW will bid against himself and give him a 1 year 2.5 mill contract because he's a terrible negotiator.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If they do sign him, it better be less than $1M and only for one year. Anything more than that is an overpayment in my opinion. I think Redden only got $800K for one year.

Redden's been out of the NHL for two and a half years so that's not a good comparison.

If it's a 1 year deal, don't really care what he signs for...the Sharks have the cap space to use.

If there's truth to the Devils being interested I would think he might go there, though San Jose would be a great place for him to prove he can still play and earn another contract.

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
Like others have said, this could be a great low-risk 3rd line pickup if the deal is 1 year and under $1mil. The Sharks' acknowledged biggest weakness is scoring depth, and if Gomez can be even a shadow of his former self, he can be an asset.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
If Wade Redden is going to play top 4 minutes for the Blues and everyone gets a Jimmy then why is this a bad move for 1 year when SJ has 0 offensive depth?

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
If there's truth to the Devils being interested I would think he might go there, though San Jose would be a great place for him to prove he can still play and earn another contract.

Maybe Larry Robinson can talk him in to going to the Sharks

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I like this idea a lot. I think most Sharks fans would acknowledge that letting Wellwood go was a huge mistake, and Gomez could effectively fille that void at a similar price.

ramstoria

Mar 4, 2011
Sacramento
1 year $1m would be a fantastic deal. The only downside I can see to it is if he has a fantastic season (relatively speaking), we probably couldn't resign him. Honestly, I don't think I'd be mad if it was a 2 year deal, so long as it's cheap like 1.5m or 2m. We need solid depth, been a big problem the last two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad