GDT: Sharks @ Sens. Dec. 18. We Are Going To Need A Bigger Boat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Isn't it kind of ironic that you say this now (I know it's sarcasm) when the huge coaching decision that everyone has hated (boro at forward) was forced to change.we al wanted that changed. He finally changed it. And it allowed him to roll 4 lines, or at least have an effective fourth line. So while Dave Cameron may have 100000 on all of us here in our life times. I think the score is now 100000 - 1.

Well that's one way to look at it. The problem with looking at things this way is that you're always able to spin the story to make yourself the champ. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but it really isn't a dependable position. You don't actually think that Cameron made some rash coaching decision, lasting a few games, and then eventually caved to public outrage, do you?

Does it not make more sense (to me it does) that Cameron achieved whatever it was he wanted to achieve, or that whatever he wanted to play out played it's course? Perhaps it was a last long look at Cowen and Weir to see who sits, but didn't want to punish Boro. perhaps Prince was having some issues, or they wanted him to sit in the sky and get some in-game coaching while watching the team play a few games.

This is the NHL here, not amateur hour at the local rink, seriously.

It would also be a mistake to assume that just because a few of you posted a million times supporting each other, that EVERYONE felt the same as you did about it. I know I certainly didn't.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That Wier and Ceci pair has been good for two straight games now. Could it be a sign of good things to come? These two were a big part of last season's later push. If they can play at that level again, we do not desperately need that top 4. Simple is that. And keep benching Cowen, and maybe get someone other than Boro on that 3rd pair. I know some people still have hopes for Cowen, well, I do not any more, he is another Brian Lee, as far as I am concerned.

We still desperately need a top 4 defenseman

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hey, was at the game tonight.

Decent atmosphere, not crazy but generally festive and happy.

One of those games where it seemed like San Jose was just missing prime chances, and then we had that ridiculous stretch of near misses to even things up.

You felt like the second goal would be it - great to have guys like Prince, Pageau, Wideman and Dizzy contributing.

I was impressed with Ceci's compete level for the most part. That second San Jose goal though was on he and Wiercioch, where they were essentially outskated and outhustled by one guy.

It's a shame because I've come to regard a 1 goal against game as an "Ottawa shutout" , because the idea of this team preventing another from scoring for 60 minutes seems impossible at the moment.

Ottawa is winning these games though, because the talent can get them a goal or two per game.

In this one, you had Ryan with those soft mitts driving the net and a sublime play between the two guys you absolutely would want most to have on a two on one. Stone could have easily scored two. I'm thinking his aim is a little off but I'm glad he's getting the opportunities because the goals will come in a rush if he zeroes it in.

Anderson was strong when he had to be - although I'll admit I haven't seen the first San Jose goal yet. I missed the start of the second.

I think the game was a bit of a coin flip but Ottawa managed to pad their lead (which we knew would be necessary) which was a good sign. When Ottawa tries to hold on to a lead it results in horrific passive play. And we saw some of that still at the end.

I see that kind of inconcistency, both during a game and game to game, as part and parcel of running a young team. When we are compared to contending teams, they usually have far more key players with that kind of battle hardened experience that we are still developing.

A better system might add some wins, but I don't think contender status is a player or two away, or a system away. All of our guys still need a lot of seasoning.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well that's one way to look at it. The problem with looking at things this way is that you're always able to spin the story to make yourself the champ. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but it really isn't a dependable position. You don't actually think that Cameron made some rash coaching decision, lasting a few games, and then eventually caved to public outrage, do you?

Does it not make more sense (to me it does) that Cameron achieved whatever it was he wanted to achieve, or that whatever he wanted to play out played it's course? Perhaps it was a last long look at Cowen and Weir to see who sits, but didn't want to punish Boro. perhaps Prince was having some issues, or they wanted him to sit in the sky and get some in-game coaching while watching the team play a few games.

It would also be a mistake to assume that just because a few of you posted a million times supporting each other, that EVERYONE felt the same as you did about it. I know I certainly didn't.
I shouldn't have said "we all". But you knew what I meant. It was a popular theory. I also don't think Cameron caved to the public. He simply saw that boro at forward was not the right decision and that he was wrong. And I doubt we ever see boro at forward again. And if we do. Well then. I guess I'll be back complaining about it

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Cowen wasn't skating. Players usually have decent leeway as long as they do what is within their means, but Cowen would go after the puck/player instead skating and being in position.

Cameron said the Prince did the work and deserved to get back in game.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Anderson has got to be one of the most underrated goaltenders in the league. I can't believe some people wanted to get rid of him during last offseason.

If we traded away Anderson, i doubt we would be in a playoff spot now.

He won't get any recognition though unless he leads us deep in the playoffs.

That is a good thing for us. He is so consistent and a leader on the team. I believe he woukd command a much higher price tag on the open free agent market. I pray he remains unerrated. We are lucky and smart to have him signed for a few more. Andy for Elliot was one of our best trades in franchise history.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Well, that was a lot better. Who knew having a more balanced 4 lines and having Cowen out would make a difference. Cowen, Wier and Boro can't be all playing at once. You need at least one to sit out. It would be better if it was 2, but what can you do right now.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
i would play him over wier and boro quite easily

If I knew he'd be ready to go after a conditionning stint I'd also agree with you.

Not a fan of Wier, but he's been playing better in the last 2 games IMO. There's no doubt I would've had Philips in there a couple games this season if he was healthy though.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hey, was at the game tonight.

Decent atmosphere, not crazy but generally festive and happy.

One of those games where it seemed like San Jose was just missing prime chances, and then we had that ridiculous stretch of near misses to even things up.

You felt like the second goal would be it - great to have guys like Prince, Pageau, Wideman and Dizzy contributing.

I was impressed with Ceci's compete level for the most part. That second San Jose goal though was on he and Wiercioch, where they were essentially outskated and outhustled by one guy.

It's a shame because I've come to regard a 1 goal against game as an "Ottawa shutout" , because the idea of this team preventing another from scoring for 60 minutes seems impossible at the moment.

Ottawa is winning these games though, because the talent can get them a goal or two per game.

In this one, you had Ryan with those soft mitts driving the net and a sublime play between the two guys you absolutely would want most to have on a two on one. Stone could have easily scored two. I'm thinking his aim is a little off but I'm glad he's getting the opportunities because the goals will come in a rush if he zeroes it in.

Anderson was strong when he had to be - although I'll admit I haven't seen the first San Jose goal yet. I missed the start of the second.

I think the game was a bit of a coin flip but Ottawa managed to pad their lead (which we knew would be necessary) which was a good sign. When Ottawa tries to hold on to a lead it results in horrific passive play. And we saw some of that still at the end.

I see that kind of inconcistency, both during a game and game to game, as part and parcel of running a young team. When we are compared to contending teams, they usually have far more key players with that kind of battle hardened experience that we are still developing.

A better system might add some wins, but I don't think contender status is a player or two away, or a system away. All of our guys still need a lot of seasoning.

Always enjoy a good NyQuil recap. Cheers bud!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
EDIT : http://war-on-ice.com/game3.html?seasongcode=2015201620480

High danger scoring chances : 13-12 for San Jose

Game cast :

http://espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400815344

Sharks had more shots from in-close.

BANG ON.

Seriously, another storm in a glass of water with the outrage of Boro at forward (also pretty sure he played less than 10 minutes per game at forward)... This is certainly not the first time that kind of thing happened in the NHL, sometimes injuries happen and the Sens are paying 7 D-men, why not play them all when they need to? Of course, I would have preferred to have Prince in the line-up instead but who knows what goes on behind the scenes? Maybe he has attitude problems, drug problems, maybe DC was just trying to send a message to him, and to others as well. Could have been several other things as well that I can't even imagine right now. And people are quick to judge a situation without having all the elements to really be able to do it. That's why most of the time, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to professionals.

Having Boro on the 4th line (who does an honest job with his limited skillset) is NOT the difference between win or lose, you win games with your best players, who have to be your goalie, your top-4 and your top-6 (and 3rd line has to contribute as well). 4th line and 3rd pair are there to give a chance to others to breathe a little bit. Their role is to NOT get scored on and play physical.

That is a good thing for us. He is so consistent and a leader on the team. I believe he woukd command a much higher price tag on the open free agent market. I pray he remains unerrated. We are lucky and smart to have him signed for a few more. Andy for Elliot was one of our best trades in franchise history.

- Oh yes it was, finally gave us stable solid goaltending after so many years of it being the achile heel.

- That trade was still whined about a lot on here... Some people are just never happy I guess

- In the last Andy extension thread on the main boards, he was seen as overpaid, which is ridiculous.

Well, that was a lot better. Who knew having a more balanced 4 lines and having Cowen out would make a difference. Cowen, Wier and Boro can't be all playing at once. You need at least one to sit out. It would be better if it was 2, but what can you do right now.

Yes I have been advocating that for a while.

Methot-Karlsson
???-Ceci
???-Wideman

.. should always be the line-up. If Cowen was playing more like the first 20-25 games, he should be here no question but the way he has played lately makes him a question mark. Wiercioch and Boro are both #6-7 at best and ONLY ONE should play.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch/Borowiecki-Wideman

But Cowen seems too inconsistent, maybe injuries ruined him and he will never be more than a 3rd pairing D-man... Best case scenario would be to trade Wiercioch and other pieces to get that solid #3 and slot Cowen/Boro as the 3rd pairing LD. Or just trade Cowen, upgrade 2nd pairing LD and let him have a new start fresh somewhere else. Maybe he needs a change of scenery

So IDEALLY, we only keep 2 of Cowen/Wiercioch/Borowiecki and with Wideman, it forms our #5-6-7.

We need that #2-3 to take a big step forward. Everything would fall into place and defense would be "fixed". Now the defensive system has to improve as well... I think the problem mostly comes from puck support and positionning

i would play him over wier and boro quite easily

lol this was really not the popular opinion the last 2-3 years... The opposite in fact, funny how things change.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think the one thing that has been the worst aspect of boro at forward has been the "relax he didn't even play that many minutes"'argument.... Why have a forward that you won't even given minutes to?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think the one thing that has been the worst aspect of boro at forward has been the "relax he didn't even play that many minutes"'argument.... Why have a forward that you won't even given minutes to?

It's weird reasoning seeing that Boro hasn't played very well this year either. Sitting a regular sends a bigger message than sitting a rookie call up.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think we are missing some of that veteran savvy in Michalek and MacArthur.

Very much so, their absence is quite noticeable. Michalek will be back soon, hopefully mac gets back this year.

With the way Stone, Hoffman and even Pageau have progressed, bringing those two vets into the lineup gives Ottawa 3 dangerous, defensively responsible scoring lines. And lets be honest, without bringing in some help on the blueline this team is going to live and die with the offense.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
With the way Stone, Hoffman and even Pageau have progressed, bringing those two vets into the lineup gives Ottawa 3 dangerous, defensively responsible scoring lines. And lets be honest, without bringing in some help on the blueline this team is going to live and die with the offense.

I would really like to see our top 9 with those guys in the line-up.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If goaltending equipment gets reduced even more I see Andy thriving even more so in this league. He doesn't need the padding to be good. While other goalies may drop slightly I can see Andy being even more valuable. Although if they do get reduced it probably won't have as big of an impact people think it will.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014

This is an forum where fans post their opinions.
If everytime the coach (general manager, scouting staff etc.) makes a seemingly bizarre and idiotic decision, we assume there are factors that we're unaware of that led to those decisions, then there wouldn't be much posting going on.

That being said, I doubt Cameron caved to anything other than his own, somewhat delayed, realization that Boro at forward makes no sense whatsoever.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I agree. The same argument was also used for Matt Kassian too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad