Rumor: Sharks scouting Rangers; Rangers interested in Boyle?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If we trade Boyle mid-season we better absolutely embarrass the Rangers in that trade... You don't trade a player of Dan Boyle's caliber during a cup run unless it's a slam dunk.

This, and if this was the first reply, I would say FPNI!

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I can't think of one guy on the Hartford roster that helps Worcester unless the Rangers just give him to us...and even then I'm not sure there's anything better there than we have now.

I have to agree, though I do like JT Miller. The NYR also have a few prospects in Juniors and College that would interest me as well.

That said, trading Boyle for futures (or really anything that isn't a very clear upgrade) would be idiotic.

Last edited:

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Can the Rangers have morning dew from a meadow?

Can the rangers have the sun set in their arms?

NO

They can't have the Boyle :sarcasm:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I have to agree, though I do like JT Miller. The NYR also have a few prospects in Juniors and College that would interest me as well.

That said, trading Boyle for futures (or really anything that isn't a very clear upgrade) would be idiotic.

I wouldn't mind Miller, but the Rangers seem to be pretty high on him so the cost would likely outweigh what he brings with him talent-wise.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Demers is definitely better than Del Zotto right now. Del Zotto is a worse-skating version of Demers from the last couple of years )in and out of the lineup, coaches dog-house, third-pairing guy when playing, brainfarts and giveaways).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Demers is definitely better than Del Zotto right now. Del Zotto is a worse-skating version of Demers from the last couple of years )in and out of the lineup, coaches dog-house, third-pairing guy when playing, brainfarts and giveaways).

I agree that he isn't the ideal solution due to him playing poorly in NYR but he's hit 40 points before and I think he can do it again in the right situation. I do believe SJ could be that place. If they can manage to bring him in without trading Boyle, I'd do that too. However, I'm not opposed to moving Boyle at the deadline even if the trade is more geared towards the future at the expense of now because losing his cap figure should open up deals to replace him. But if they can move Havlat to Florida and pick up MDZ for Irwin and a pick or something, I'm on board for that also.

I think MDZ would play well with Justin Braun, Vlasic with Demers, and Hannan or Stuart with Boyle on the 3rd pair.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I agree that he isn't the ideal solution due to him playing poorly in NYR but he's hit 40 points before and I think he can do it again in the right situation. I do believe SJ could be that place.

Don't we have enough of those types already… potential to obtain their peak performance from years past, but cannot do so?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Don't we have enough of those types already… potential to obtain their peak performance from years past, but cannot do so?

The types that you're referencing and 'whether we have enough' has no bearing on this player. It's a question of whether his skills fit a need and whether he would fit here. Even if he was that type, I'm more inclined to give a 23 year old that opportunity than a 30+ year old that opportunity. It's not as if MDZ's career has even hit his peak years as a d-man yet.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
I'm willing to give DW the benefit of the doubt after las year. If he moves Boyle for Delzotto +, I would be looking for wha he does with the cap space.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
People can put the Boyle for Del Zotto thoughts to bed, he's (MDZ) been traded to Nashville.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wanted Del Zotto, didn't think he'd cost that much and he didn't.

To me, it gives some credibility to the Rangers being interested in Boyle considering the return Nashville gave the Rangers. I would believe that they see something in him that leads them to believe that they can turn him around and with their pedigree with defensemen, I would be inclined to believe them.

But anyways, the trade does put this thread to rest since I wouldn't think the Rangers want to make a move for Boyle now with Klein. Hopefully, rumors start floating that the Panthers are interested in Havlat. haha

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
To me, it gives some credibility to the Rangers being interested in Boyle considering the return Nashville gave the Rangers. I would believe that they see something in him that leads them to believe that they can turn him around and with their pedigree with defensemen, I would be inclined to believe them.

But anyways, the trade does put this thread to rest since I wouldn't think the Rangers want to make a move for Boyle now with Klein. Hopefully, rumors start floating that the Panthers are interested in Havlat. haha
Nashville was jammed with righty dmen. They already offloaded Blum. Then they had Weber, Jones, Klein and Ellis. They are short on the left side. It's Josi then . . . and Josi isn't really an offensive dman. The Rangers were short on righties and we don't know where contract talks are with Girardi. The trade made sense. And Klein did have a little offensive flair when he was given secondary PP time a while back. His offense was being bypassed by all of the other Nashville righty dmen. Also, AV has done well with dmen from Nashville.

I still think the Rangers might consider a move for a righty but that it isn't an immediate need right now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nashville was jammed with righty dmen. They already offloaded Blum. Then they had Weber, Jones, Klein and Ellis. They are short on the left side. It's Josi then . . . and Josi isn't really an offensive dman. The Rangers were short on righties and we don't know where contract talks are with Girardi. The trade made sense. And Klein did have a little offensive flair when he was given secondary PP time a while back. His offense was being bypassed by all of the other Nashville righty dmen. Also, AV has done well with dmen from Nashville.

I still think the Rangers might consider a move for a righty but that it isn't an immediate need right now.

Yes but since the Rangers don't have anyone on the left side that is available AND remotely appealing to what the Sharks would want, the Sharks would have no reason to put Dan Boyle up for trade with them. Boyle for Girardi is a pointless move other than cap dollars but at least MDZ would've filled a spot on the left side and they wouldn't have had to worry about him walking as a UFA.

I'm sure there are other teams that could be interested in Boyle's services but I doubt any of them will offer up enough to make DW bite.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Yes but since the Rangers don't have anyone on the left side that is available AND remotely appealing to what the Sharks would want, the Sharks would have no reason to put Dan Boyle up for trade with them. Boyle for Girardi is a pointless move other than cap dollars but at least MDZ would've filled a spot on the left side and they wouldn't have had to worry about him walking as a UFA.

I'm sure there are other teams that could be interested in Boyle's services but I doubt any of them will offer up enough to make DW bite.

I'd rather DW just go for a "real" improvement with a Gardiner or a Kulikov or just sit tight. If the guy is not a marked improvement, it isn't worth it. The Sharks don't have that many excess assets.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd rather DW just go for a "real" improvement with a Gardiner or a Kulikov or just sit tight. If the guy is not a marked improvement, it isn't worth it. The Sharks don't have that many excess assets.

They don't have many excess assets of value but they have plenty of excess assets.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Oh, not this stuff again! Boyle is having a slightly sub-par year, especially in relation to the rest of the Sharks' defense, but his skill-set is still so unique that it makes him irreplaceable on this roster. He is vital to the puck possession system that the Sharks play, and those of you that remember what the Sharks' powerplay was before Boyle arrived would shudder at the thought of the return to the days of the Give-it-to-Jumbo-and-watch-him-get-triple teamed-powerplay. Since 2008, Boyle has been the best powerplay QB in the entire NHL, being on the ice for more 5v4 shots and goals than any other player in the league. Not to mention, he is the only Sharks' defenseman capable of jumping deep into the offensive zone with the skills to control the puck and sustain possession. Lastly, this is the Western Conference. You have four dominant puck possession teams. The Sharks are one of them. There is no way that the Sharks are going to be able to upgrade on Boyle's puck-moving skillset by trading him. They are not getting an elite puck-moving defenseman in a deal for Boyle. You cannot tell me with a straight face that you seriously believe that the Sharks stand a chance in hell at beating Chicago or LA in the playoffs with Jason Demers as their best puck-mover on the back end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad