Rumor: Sharks scouting Rangers; Rangers interested in Boyle?

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I wouldn't be opposed to trading Boyle on principle… but our defense is the weakness so unless we're getting an upgrade/younger/cheaper, then I don't see the point from the Sharks side :dunno:

I can't see anything the Rangers have to offer that they'd be willing to give up and upgrades us i.e. not Del Zotto lol. Did I hear somewhere they might trade Girardi?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've heard that the Sharks are scouting the hell out of the Rangers.

I just don't see what they have that we'd want, outside of untouchable guys like Stepan, Kreider, and McDonagh.

I still have a sick feeling we're trading for Del Zotto.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If we trade Boyle mid-season we better absolutely embarrass the Rangers in that trade... You don't trade a player of Dan Boyle's caliber during a cup run unless it's a slam dunk.

To SJ:
MDZ
Callahan
Kreider
1st

To NYR:
Boyle
Havlat
2nd

Seriously, It better be highway robbery.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I just don't see what they have that we'd want, outside of untouchable guys like Stepan, Kreider, and McDonagh.

What about their farm team bodies?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

if you stick MDZ on the left its not bad value for the sharks obtaining him. hes been better of late since being put back in his natural side.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I wouldn't be opposed to trading Boyle on principle… but our defense is the weakness so unless we're getting an upgrade/younger/cheaper, then I don't see the point from the Sharks side :dunno:

I can't see anything the Rangers have to offer that they'd be willing to give up and upgrades us i.e. not Del Zotto lol. Did I hear somewhere they might trade Girardi?

There are always all kinds of rumors about the NYR, that's what happens in a big market and the Boyle rumors go back to last season.

I have a pretty hard time seeing DW trading Boyle but I would guess that the Rangers are one of the teams Boyle would agree to go to and he's pretty much exactly what they're missing on the back end, I think he'd be very good playing for AV.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
If we trade Boyle mid-season we better absolutely embarrass the Rangers in that trade... You don't trade a player of Dan Boyle's caliber during a cup run unless it's a slam dunk.

To SJ:
MDZ
Callahan
Kreider
1st

To NYR:
Boyle
Havlat
2nd

Take out the first and I still make that trade

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

To SJ:
MDZ
Callahan
Kreider
1st

To NYR:
Boyle
Havlat
2nd

Wow, that's a serious robbery. I'd take Kreider straight up and laugh. He's finally doing what he was supposed to be doing and I maintain that Marleau is probably the best player in the league to mentor him.

I guess I would be interested in Callahan, but since I don't see the Sharks re-signing him, I wouldn't pay what the Rangers would probably want.

As far as their farm system, their prospect pool is about as bad as ours.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California

To SJ:
MDZ
Callahan
Kreider
1st

To NYR:
Boyle
Havlat
2nd

:laugh: They wouldn't even take that in a video game.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Wow, that's a serious robbery. I'd take Kreider straight up and laugh. He's finally doing what he was supposed to be doing and I maintain that Marleau is probably the best player in the league to mentor him.

I guess I would be interested in Callahan, but since I don't see the Sharks re-signing him, I wouldn't pay what the Rangers would probably want.

I wouldn't because the Sharks minus Boyle + Kreider are a worse team right now. A trade where you move a star player mid-season during a cup run has to 100% make you a better team right now or you just don't do it. Callahan isn't worth much as he's injury prone and a pending UFA, MDZ's value is in the toilet, Kreider is the really only valuable piece in there imo.

:laugh: They wouldn't even take that in a video game.

Kind of the point. I don't see a 'fair' trade with the Rangers that wouldn't make our cup chances worsen. We might be better long term, but it would hurt us this year. It'd have be robbery.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I wouldn't because the Sharks minus Boyle + Kreider are a worse team right now. A trade where you move a star player mid-season during a cup run has to 100% make you a better team right now or you just don't do it. Callahan isn't worth much as he's injury prone and a pending UFA, MDZ's value is in the toilet, Kreider is the really only valuable piece in there imo.

Kind of the point. I don't see a 'fair' trade with the Rangers that wouldn't make our cup chances worsen. We might be better long term, but it would hurt us this year. It'd have be robbery.

Haha I know, but they can keep the pick and we'll take JT Miller.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

To SJ:
MDZ
Callahan
Kreider
1st

To NYR:
Boyle
Havlat
2nd

I have no doubt Boyle's worth way more than he should be. He's very "intense" and a "good speller."

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I disagree. I think Kreider's impact would be greater than Boyle's. Plus, it would free up someone else like Wingels or Nieto to be traded for a defenseman.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I disagree. I think Kreider's impact would be greater than Boyle's. Plus, it would free up someone else like Wingels or Nieto to be traded for a defenseman.

Ehh... I don't think Nieto is worth enough at this point to return decent value, and while Wingels likely would return a decent player, it wouldn't replace Boyle.

MDZ, while not 100% ideal, has proven he can put up 40 points, and have Robinson coach him for a season or two and we might actually have a pretty good player there. He should come cheap, he needs a change of scenery... it makes sense.

Kreider would improve our forward group, when healthy we don't really need to improve our forward group... You are taking a step back defensively (where we do need to improve) to improve at forward (where we don't). As I said, it needs to be a slam dunk for us. I could probably live without the picks in the deal.

So MDZ, Callahan, Kreider for Boyle, Havlat.

We clear about $5m in salary, improve our depth substantially, and hopefully at least break even on the backend. We are now free to trade a forward or two for a Stuart replacement.

Something like:

Kreider - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Wingels
Hertl - Pavelski - Torres
Sheppard - Desjardins - Brown

MDZ - Vlasic
Demers - Braun
Hannan - Irwin

Trade some group of Stuart, Kennedy, Burish for a defensive depth.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Interesting idea, not sure what the Rangers have in players that id want, and if what i'd want are available. While i think Boyle is valuable on the team now, if moved i'd really want pick(s)/high end prospect, etc to restock the prospect pool so to speak. We should be able to get a 1st for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad