Rumor: Sharks scouting Rangers; Rangers interested in Boyle?

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Wow, that's a serious robbery. I'd take Kreider straight up and laugh. He's finally doing what he was supposed to be doing and I maintain that Marleau is probably the best player in the league to mentor him.

I guess I would be interested in Callahan, but since I don't see the Sharks re-signing him, I wouldn't pay what the Rangers would probably want.

As far as their farm system, their prospect pool is about as bad as ours.

Both Kreider and Nieto!? Hockey east fantasy!

TheLonelyIslandbrucewillisisdead.gif

Would also love Callahan but don't want to give up Boyle with a potential run at the cup this year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Depends on what the Rangers have available. If the Sharks are going to acquire MDZ, they'd have to send Matt Irwin or Brad Stuart out in some manner. I think dumping Havlat is a pipe dream in a trade especially with NYR. There's plenty of criticisms to be made for Sather but he's generally good at making trades and doesn't get the short end of the stick very often.

I can't see Stuart accepting a trade to the Rangers. Havlat could but I don't see Sather having motivation to take him off our hands. Only team I think would do that is Florida. If we're talking about Dan Boyle, I'd do Boyle + Irwin for MDZ and a 2015 1st round pick.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The only thing that lends any credibility to this for me is that:

A) We know the Rangers have been scouting Boyle since last year

B) Sharks are scouting the Rangers

C) Recent article mentioning Marleau and Thornton's new contracts, no mention of Boyle

D) Boyle was in negotiations in the off-season and even mentioned "Would like to get it done before the season starts", then didn't, and now it's January and nothing.

It doesn't sound like the negotiations went well, and Boyle is going to try UFA, if so Wilson may not want to let him walk for nothing.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Depends on what the Rangers have available. If the Sharks are going to acquire MDZ, they'd have to send Matt Irwin or Brad Stuart out in some manner. I think dumping Havlat is a pipe dream in a trade especially with NYR. There's plenty of criticisms to be made for Sather but he's generally good at making trades and doesn't get the short end of the stick very often.

I can't see Stuart accepting a trade to the Rangers. Havlat could but I don't see Sather having motivation to take him off our hands. Only team I think would do that is Florida. If we're talking about Dan Boyle, I'd do Boyle + Irwin for MDZ and a 2015 1st round pick.

That's terrible, we immediately become a worse team.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Yeah, New York isn't going to take Havlat.

Boyle will get Similar to Clowe's value.

Why are we discussing this when our Defense has no depth. Unless Girardi is coming back it's really not smart to trade a guy that can still put up 35-40pts for draft picks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Ehh... I don't think Nieto is worth enough at this point to return decent value, and while Wingels likely would return a decent player, it wouldn't replace Boyle.

MDZ, while not 100% ideal, has proven he can put up 40 points, and have Robinson coach him for a season or two and we might actually have a pretty good player there. He should come cheap, he needs a change of scenery... it makes sense.

Kreider would improve our forward group, when healthy we don't really need to improve our forward group... You are taking a step back defensively (where we do need to improve) to improve at forward (where we don't). As I said, it needs to be a slam dunk for us. I could probably live without the picks in the deal.

So MDZ, Callahan, Kreider for Boyle, Havlat.

We clear about $5m in salary, improve our depth substantially, and hopefully at least break even on the backend. We are now free to trade a forward or two for a Stuart replacement.

Something like:

Kreider - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Wingels
Hertl - Pavelski - Torres
Sheppard - Desjardins - Brown

MDZ - Vlasic
Demers - Braun
Hannan - Irwin

Trade some group of Stuart, Kennedy, Burish for a defensive depth.

Theres not much point debating this, since it would never happen, but 1) where's Callahan? and 2) it'd be Vlasic-Demers and MDZ-Braun and we'd need another RHD because Irwin and Hannan are both LHD.

Look, I don't doubt that the Rangers are interested in Boyle. I also don't doubt that Doug Wilson is taking offers on Boyle. But I just don't think there's a deal to be made between these two teams. I'd insist on Kreider, Sather would say "hell no", and that would be the end of that.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Yeah, New York isn't going to take Havlat.

Boyle will get Similar to Clowe's value.

Why are we discussing this when our Defense has no depth. Unless Girardi is coming back it's really not smart to trade a guy that can still put up 35-40pts for draft picks.

We are discussing it because it's been reported several times over the last year, so it at least has some staying power. Trading him for a draft pick would be beyond stupid and he's worth a LOT more than Clowe.

Theres not much point debating this, since it would never happen, but 1) where's Callahan? and 2) it'd be Vlasic-Demers and MDZ-Braun and we'd need another RHD because Irwin and Hannan are both LHD.

I deleted him to move him to a different spot then forgot to put him back, haha. I hate when I do that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's terrible, we immediately become a worse team.

We're becoming a worse team anyway with Boyle's drop in quality. He is essentially Jason Demers right now and we already have Jason Demers and Justin Braun on the right side that can and ought to be our top two d-men on the right side. So Boyle right now is a tweener top four d-man with Demers on the downside. If it's accurate that he may not re-sign for whatever reason, making that trade gives the Sharks somewhat of an answer on the left side, a 1st round pick in a deep draft, and a significant amount of cap dollars to make other moves that may make them better. Just remember that the deal saves them a little more than 5 million cap dollars and getting a player similar to what Boyle is putting out there now on the right side (assuming that Tennyson is not the answer now) can be achievable with that amount of money saved and getting an appropriately paid player of that ilk.

It's not going to be easy to trade Boyle and get better within that trade. And letting him walk for nothing when he's slowly being dropped in minutes is probably not the wisest thing either.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
We are discussing it because it's been reported several times over the last year, so it at least has some staying power. Trading him for a draft pick would be beyond stupid and he's worth a LOT more than Clowe.

Scouts are at games all the time.

Our defense is the only area I would say needs an upgrade so why would Doug trade Boyle for offense or down grade for players like MDZ.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Our defense is the only area I would say needs an upgrade so why would Doug trade Boyle for offense or down grade for players like MDZ.

Doug does things all the time we don't expect or predict. In this case it's been reported several times by several different people over a fairly long period of time, always the Rangers too. As far as rumors go, it has some at least staying power going for it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's a stretch but it would be along the same lines as the roster refresh has been. You trade Boyle to address something else to some extent and create flexibility for something down the road. A Boyle for MDZ trade does address something on the left side. MDZ is more reliable on the ice than Stuart or Irwin. Is he the best or most ideal answer for that spot? No but it does free up some room to make a move elsewhere to replace Boyle. For instance, if they made that swap I suggested and then go out and rent Marek Zidlicky for a 2nd or two then they're arguably a better team.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA

Because Boyle's contract is so big that moving him for a downgrade like MDZ eliminates all of the Sharks potential cap issues this year and still leaves DW lots of cap space to make other moves with.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
As a fan of both teams, I don't see a match. I know the Rangers want Dan Boyle, but they really have nobody to give up that makes sense for a team that is going for it this year. And the farm team sucks.

And I've seen enough of Del Zotto to know that he isn't very good, especially defensively. Maybe a change of scenery would do wonders for him, but I wouldn't be willing to take that chance while giving up Boyle.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Guys that would interest me:

Hagelin
MDZ (obviously with plusses)
Girardi
Kreider (in my dreams)

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Staal is kind of a train wreck at this point. He's a headshot away from the end of his career.

Staal has been very good since returning from his latest injury. But thats besides the point as all of the proposals on the 1st page make the rangers older and worse off.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
One thing you might legitimately have a chance at is taking DZ and Girardi for Boyle and a late round pick. Be advised DZ has been a train-wreck this year when it comes to outlet passes from behind the net (even when there's no pressure on him). I think he is redeemable (just needs confidence), and good offensively/PP. Whoever plugged him as a top 2 D man should know this. Girardi is so steady on the right-side, that he'd help shore up your D for a playoff run. If you can't sign him after the season you could get a conditional draft pick.
As for Kreider---only if you want give up Hertl :)

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
I wouldn't mind something starting around a 1st and Kristo. I went to UND while he was there and saw a guy who has a knack for putting the puck in the net. Not sure he would crack the lineup this year, but he could certainly help with scoring depth which this team needs from time to time.

Boyle has slowed down and won't be worth the contract he gets as a UFA...even as an older D man. Somebody will offer stupid money and it would be better to get an asset than let him walk.

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
I disagree. I think Kreider's impact would be greater than Boyle's. Plus, it would free up someone else like Wingels or Nieto to be traded for a defenseman.
Do you remember how the team was before they got Campbell and finally learned the value of a top tier puck mover?

Or when they had to acquire Jeff Norton on two successive years for a playoff push, because he was the best they could get...

I really would hate to see the team go into playoffs without Boyle or someone better. And Wingels or Nieto isn't going to fetch someone better.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Do you remember how the team was before they got Campbell and finally learned the value of a top tier puck mover?

Or when they had to acquire Jeff Norton on two successive years for a playoff push, because he was the best they could get...

I really would hate to see the team go into playoffs without Boyle or someone better. And Wingels or Nieto isn't going to fetch someone better.

The problem is that Boyle is not a top tier puck mover anymore. He is at Demers' level in that regard and I think Demers is better right now.

Isn't MDZ pretty much a more-established Jason Demers?

MDZ is a left-side version of Demers having a mediocre season. Going to a team that may utilize him better and give him a fresh start might change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad