Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
IMO if he didnt get injured in the finals he would be much more highly regarded today. He was going to be our best player in that series.

He was absolutely our best player through the first two games. Zero question.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I have no idea how you remember that. I honestly don't even remember much from that series, let alone something like that.

I remember dillon and polak missing every single thornton pass to the blue line while in the offensive zone only to see them turn the puck over once they retrieved it back for an oddman rush the other way.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I remember dillon and polak missing every single thornton pass to the blue line while in the offensive zone only to see them turn the puck over once they retrieved it back for an oddman rush the other way.

Could be my homer glasses but was that line really as dominated as I felt they were in that series?

My recollection (and I refuse to rewatch any of that series) is that they were hemmed in their own zone almost every single shift they played. I felt like anytime Dillon and Polak were on the ice there was a very good chance that the Pens were going to score or at least get 1 good scoring chance. I remember feeling like it was a success if they started in the offensive zone, and were able to make a line change without letting the penguins get a scoring chance at the other end. Just insanely outmatched all 6 games, every shift

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Could be my homer glasses but was that line really as dominated as I felt they were in that series?

My recollection (and I refuse to rewatch any of that series) is that they were hemmed in their own zone almost every single shift they played. I felt like anytime Dillon and Polak were on the ice there was a very good chance that the Pens were going to score or at least get 1 good scoring chance. I remember feeling like it was a success if they started in the offensive zone, and were able to make a line change without letting the penguins get a scoring chance at the other end. Just insanely outmatched all 6 games, every shift

Yes they were hemmed in there own zone a lot. But they still had the dominate shifts every once in a while when they were lucky enough not having to baby sit the bottom pairing. If that line got to play with burns and martin they were mostly spending the shifts in the pens zone.

I understand that deboer just can't go to 4 defensemen for a entire series, i just wish he would of left the line matching the same. There was no reason to stop putting burns/martin on the ice with the joes.

The top 4 were fresh enough from the 1st 3 series that deboer easily could have knocked dillon/polak down to 5-10 minutes and gave burns/vlasic/braun/martin the extra 5-10 minutes to cover those missing minutes. But for some reason he kept them at there regular 15 or so minutes a game. Which put the top line into baby sitting and defensive responsibility mode (never a good thing)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NCAA men's ice hockey playoffs begin today.

So 12 of the 16 schools will be eliminated by the end of the weekend.

Options for drafted/undrafted college players big time next week.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
(Can't recall which thread I saw it in, but it wasn't here)

WRT clearing roster space for DeMelo "full time" next season...

I think the Sharks have positioned Dillon and Schlemko as the top Sharks candidates to be selected in the expansion draft. Both are under 30 and have "reasonable" $$ salaries. (Unless they think Dell is a better deal)

Although younger and 1st round pick, Mueller is RFA and VGK would need to negotiate with him (first: consent to relocate, play with expansion team; second: negotiate new deal). And I don't know that Mueller is (mentally) ready to take on that kind of fish bowl mentality.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
DeMelo and Tierney are two guys who fluked their way onto the current roster and whose spots are inexplicably unimpeachable.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I sure as hell hope Demelo is not the "solution" to one of the d being picked.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122857

He's 2 games away from making the "70 games in last two seasons" qualification for exposed skaters.

Will be interesting to see if he sits after one more game. (So would not be among the 20 players that must be taken from the explicitly exposed players based on contract/experience.)

I can see the Sharks doing FC to VGK to restrict them from taking exposed RFA/UFA (IOW, only those guys who meet the exposed requirements, which would protect Mueller, Marleau, Thornton, Grosenick and others).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
DeMelo and Tierney are two guys who fluked their way onto the current roster and whose spots are inexplicably unimpeachable.

I don't know how you defend that a 7th d-man is inexplicably unimpeachable. He's cheap and he steps in when guys get hurt. Yeah, he had one stretch of games where he played when Schlemko was taken out for something but it wasn't because of DeMelo if my read of that situation is accurate. It was more that DeBoer didn't like something in Schlemko's game. That is certainly something worth critiquing but it doesn't really state DeMelo's place on the roster. He's still just a 7th D.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I don't know how you defend that a 7th d-man is inexplicably unimpeachable. He's cheap and he steps in when guys get hurt. Yeah, he had one stretch of games where he played when Schlemko was taken out for something but it wasn't because of DeMelo if my read of that situation is accurate. It was more that DeBoer didn't like something in Schlemko's game. That is certainly something worth critiquing but it doesn't really state DeMelo's place on the roster. He's still just a 7th D.

Heed is a former SHL defenseman of the year who has produced video game numbers (for a defenseman) on the Barracuda this year. If it was a merit-based system he would absolutely be the 7th dman and first guy into the lineup in case of injury during the playoffs over DeMelo, who has never done anything of note in his entire career to date.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Heed is a former SHL defenseman of the year who has produced video game numbers (for a defenseman) on the Barracuda this year. If it was a merit-based system he would absolutely be the 7th dman and first guy into the lineup in case of injury during the playoffs over DeMelo, who has never done anything of note in his entire career to date.

Having Heed as the 7th in the NHL would be a waste. He can contribute much more to the org in the AHL, and he's not stuck riding the bench and getting no playing time. DeMelo is fine as the 7th. It might be better if Heed would be called up for any times when there is a known need for an replacement D for the Top-6 (e.g., not last minute stuff), but you also have to take into account how that impacts his ability to be sent back down.

Heed may have his opportunity once the Barracuda season ends, assuming the Sharks are still playing, if he does well in the AHL playoffs. But I think it would be a terrible waste for him to sitting as often as Demelo does as the 7th D.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If the decision is between having Heed in the minors and DeMelo on the roster as a 7th d-man or having Heed as the 7th d-man and DeMelo probably on another team right now, the choice is the former and that's probably all it really is. I'd rather have a warm body as the 7th d-man than anyone that actually could be somebody in this league sitting in the press box. When next year rolls around and possibly more spots open up, I can see Heed on this team playing.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
If the decision is between having Heed in the minors and DeMelo on the roster as a 7th d-man or having Heed as the 7th d-man and DeMelo probably on another team right now, the choice is the former and that's probably all it really is. I'd rather have a warm body as the 7th d-man than anyone that actually could be somebody in this league sitting in the press box. When next year rolls around and possibly more spots open up, I can see Heed on this team playing.

I agree, but I don't see why both of you can't be right. Heed definitely deserves more game-time than Demelo, who has been very underwhelming this season.
I'm okay with Demelo as the permanent (hardly-ever playing) #7 and playing in emergency situations like today with Vlasic's sudden illness. But when they have some notice, or when they're in San Jose where geography isn't an issue, Demelo shouldn't be playing at all.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Agreed with WTFetus. DeMelo should have 0 GP this year. He should have been the perpetual #7, with Heed called up to play every time a defenseman was injured. And at this point Heed has proven he's too good for the AHL anyway, he doesn't really need the additional playing time.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Agreed with WTFetus. DeMelo should have 0 GP this year. He should have been the perpetual #7, with Heed called up to play every time a defenseman was injured. And at this point Heed has proven he's too good for the AHL anyway, he doesn't really need the additional playing time.

Agreed. I mean, nothing is based on objective merit with the Sharks right now. It's all on Deboer's whims. How Heed hasn't played more than 1 game and Ryan 0 is beyond me. Freaking Mueller's gotten 4 games. Demelo is a replacement level player, he is a dime a dozen. Heed has done everything that's been asked of him, proved he's a very good and useful player and he's been rewarded with a little extra cash and a ******** of healthy scratches and demotions.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Any idea of what the core of this team will look like going forward into the future after this season?. I know we need to get younger and faster.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Agreed. I mean, nothing is based on objective merit with the Sharks right now. It's all on Deboer's whims. How Heed hasn't played more than 1 game and Ryan 0 is beyond me. Freaking Mueller's gotten 4 games. Demelo is a replacement level player, he is a dime a dozen. Heed has done everything that's been asked of him, proved he's a very good and useful player and he's been rewarded with a little extra cash and a ******** of healthy scratches and demotions.

This is how you play tennis without the net.

Coming into this season, DeMelo's stock was fairly high; there were even notions about moving Dillon or Braun to create space for DeMelo. No one was calling him a dime-a-dozen, replacement player then. After a stretch of 5-7 poor games, I'd agree Heed deserves a chance (probably a game or two ago). But no amount of casuistry can erase DeMelo's previous bouts of strong play.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Any idea of what the core of this team will look like going forward into the future after this season?. I know we need to get younger and faster.

I have no idea. If Thornton really wants three years at $6M per, let him walk. I'd be reluctant to give Marleau three years even though he's been pretty good. If Schlemko isn't protected, I bet Vegas takes him. There's no way in my mind that Vegas takes Boedker.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

Contracted:
Hertl; Couture; Pavelski; Ward; Hansen; Boedker

Burns; Braun; Vlasic; Martin; Dillon; DeMelo; Schlemko

Jones; Dell

AHL/Call-up Contracted:
Meier; LaBanc

RFA:
Tierney; Donskoi; Karlsson; Sorenson

That's a start, no idea where the org goes after this year.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Demelo didn't show enough to justify he could replace Dillon or Braun and I certainly did not say that he should. I also did not see enough from him this year or last to believe that he was more than a 7th defenseman. His bouts of strong played proved he could be a 6 maybe, but they certainly didn't earn him the equity to consistently play over other dmen who may currently be better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00