Rumor: Sharks pursuing re-signing Vandermeer (Signed with Canucks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
Saw this coming. Vandy and his wife moved to Vancouver at the end of last season, so they probably didnt want to move back, especially given how he was used last season.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
This board in general is biased by many who don't even know how to skate let alone rate a defensman who doesn't put up 50 points a season... White had a crap year learning a crap system in the D zone. I watched him play for years in NJ and he was above average most years. Moving to the west coast wasn't a good fit for him. This board always tries to find a scape goat for all that ails the team when more often than not it's more complex than simply blaming one or 2 players.

Responding to an old post. I agree with your general opinion of White having an off-year and that he had to play in a crap system, but man you have to get off your high-horse of "I know how to play hockey so my opinion holds greater weight". Since when does not knowing how to skate make you unable to judge a hockey player. Is Peter Laviolette a lousy head coach because he never scored an NHL goal? Biased or not, Colin White had an awful year last year. Even a US Olympian (Bret Hedican) practically said "Colin White sucks" in a number of post-game reports.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Responding to an old post. I agree with your general opinion of White having an off-year and that he had to play in a crap system, but man you have to get off your high-horse of "I know how to play hockey so my opinion holds greater weight". Since when does not knowing how to skate make you unable to judge a hockey player. Is Peter Laviolette a lousy head coach because he never scored an NHL goal? Biased or not, Colin White had an awful year last year. Even a US Olympian (Bret Hedican) practically said "Colin White sucks" in a number of post-game reports.

I have played a lot of hockey in my life (though I do not currently play) and I am quite confident Colin White was terrible last year. There is a good reason NJ bought him out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This board in general is biased by many who don't even know how to skate let alone rate a defensman who doesn't put up 50 points a season... White had a crap year learning a crap system in the D zone. I watched him play for years in NJ and he was above average most years. Moving to the west coast wasn't a good fit for him. This board always tries to find a scape goat for all that ails the team when more often than not it's more complex than simply blaming one or 2 players.

if you don't like the "biases" of this board, you're more than welcome to find a board that suits you better. And pulling the "you didn't play the game, ergo you're not fit to judge it" bit is crap.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to not be harassed or harangued personally for it. Attack the post, not the poster.

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
if you don't like the "biases" of this board, you're more than welcome to find a board that suits you better. And pulling the "you didn't play the game, ergo you're not fit to judge it" bit is crap.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to not be harassed or harangued personally for it. Attack the post, not the poster.

i disagree here. he's not attacking anyone specifically but rather pointing out a certain hivemind mentality that exists... which could be argued to be true.

also - actually playing the game does give you a different appreciation and understanding of the game, no matter how small it is. not sure why that is so outrageous?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
i disagree here. he's not attacking anyone specifically but rather pointing out a certain hivemind mentality that exists... which could be argued to be true.

The comment was:

This board in general is biased by many who don't even know how to skate let alone rate a defensman who doesn't put up 50 points a season...

that was a direct commentary on a group of users of the board. Under the site rules, blanket attacks are attacks all the same. And there was no hivemind assertion. No mention was made about the bias being contagious or people thinking in lockstep just because the majority does.

also - actually playing the game does give you a different appreciation and understanding of the game, no matter how small it is. not sure why that is so outrageous?

No one will likely dispute that greater familiarity with the game by having played it is advantageous, the comments carried the air of "if you can't play the game, your argument is invalid/inconsequentual" and that's wrong. Every poster on here, regardless of their hockey experience, is permitted to provide there own analysis or commentary on whatever they'd like. If you believe that their assessment is wrong, point out why and counter it that way. Don't respond with "You don't know what you're talking about because you never played the game."

But really, this isn't something that's supposed to be argued publicly. If anyone has any other issues with what I said or with this issue, they can PM a mod.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
Well, my assessment of Colin White was that he was certainly better then Wallin's awful play and made less mistakes then Huskins did.

However, in the end, he was still bad here and definitely did not outplay Vandermeer.
We should have just resigned Ian White instead of signing White & Vandermeer.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I'm on the dump Wallin bandwagon as much as the next guy due to his poor seasonal play but I seem to remember he was actually good those playoffs, is my memory broken?

It's one of those cases where you get so used to beyond ****** play that not so ****** but still kinda ****** play looks good in comparison.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
I have played a lot of hockey in my life (though I do not currently play) and I am quite confident Colin White was terrible last year. There is a good reason NJ bought him out.

Similarly, there's a reason that Vandameer has not stuck with a team and has not been able to nail down a spot as a 5-6 defenseman. Which brings me back to the question, why would you want a below average defenseman who is smallish and can't fight? I can't wait to see him play as a pylon for the Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad