Rumor: Sharks pursuing re-signing Vandermeer (Signed with Canucks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007
7 d-men who deserve ice time. Only 6 d-men spots.

Love braun, murray, and demers, but one needs to go. Because it'd suck to stick one on the bench for the year.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
How many roster spots do The Sharks have open? Don't they still have to ink Sheppard and a few others? Also would we all rather see Acolatse instead of Vandermeer? Unless he's being brought in just for fisticuffs.

By my count they currently have 44 contracts. Sheppard, McLaren, Petrecki, Viedensky, Pelech, Mashinter (I think that's accurate...) are all on AHL only deals.

Acolatse is going to be out for a while with a broken jaw.

Edit: According to capgeek only Petrecki & Sheppard aren't signed...the others I guess were signed to AHL deals so they didn't have to clear waivers.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Murray said in an interview a couple of days ago that he was pretty badly hurt during the entire season last year and he is all healed up now. Don't see a point in trading him now unless he sucks and it's a trade deadline deal.

In that video of Murray scoring the goal that is floating around, his skating looks to be much better than it was last year which supports the notion that he was pretty banged up. He is only 1 year removed from playing on the top D pairing with Boyle, so unless his play regresses from last year I would be hard pressed to move him.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
In that video of Murray scoring the goal that is floating around, his skating looks to be much better than it was last year which supports the notion that he was pretty banged up. He is only 1 year removed from playing on the top D pairing with Boyle, so unless his play regresses from last year I would be hard pressed to move him.

While he technically played top minutes with Boyle, his numbers do not in anyway reflect top pairing ability. Advanced stats of course. Murray, at his very best, has #3 d-man level advanced stats, more commonly #4, and last season he barely qualified for a bottom pairing role. I like the guy, and I do think last season was an aberration, but he is not a #2 d-man on his best day. Neither was Lukowhich though, and he played by Boyle's side for years, now he can't even get a spot in the NHL.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
While he technically played top minutes with Boyle, his numbers do not in anyway reflect top pairing ability. Advanced stats of course. Murray, at his very best, has #3 d-man level advanced stats, more commonly #4, and last season he barely qualified for a bottom pairing role. I like the guy, and I do think last season was an aberration, but he is not a #2 d-man on his best day. Neither was Lukowhich though, and he played by Boyle's side for years, now he can't even get a spot in the NHL.

Agreed. My comment was intended more to convey that I think a healthy Murray could very well approach his '10-'11 form rather than his '11-'12 form. That would put him as the 4th/5th best D-man on the team (depending on how Stuart plays) rather than 6th or 7th as some have suggested.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sorry, my eyes and experience tell me otherwise. He'll be great as a #6 #7 on a team this deep on the blue line. Oh and he'll be cheap and can provide some rough stuff when needed.

Well, this board's general bias toward Vandermeer tells me otherwise.

He's a fine #7, but so was White. :shakehead

NWShark*

This board in general is biased by many who don't even know how to skate let alone rate a defensman who doesn't put up 50 points a season... White had a crap year learning a crap system in the D zone. I watched him play for years in NJ and he was above average most years. Moving to the west coast wasn't a good fit for him. This board always tries to find a scape goat for all that ails the team when more often than not it's more complex than simply blaming one or 2 players.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

I never saw this board as having bias against Vandermeer. I always saw it as more of a neutrality with some people getting mad that koala played White instead of him. Trying to re-up Vandy goes along with DW's not wanting to add too many new pieces from outside the system on account of the condensed season, he already knows the system from what little play he was actually given.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I never saw this board as having bias against Vandermeer. I always saw it as more of a neutrality with some people getting mad that koala played White instead of him. Trying to re-up Vandy goes along with DW's not wanting to add too many new pieces from outside the system on account of the condensed season, he already knows the system from what little play he was actually given.

No, I mean bias in favor of Vandermeer because White was the whipping boy.

NWShark*

He's also fine with riding pine which is what he'll do a lot of when everyone is healthy... if every is healthy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia