Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Until Havelid is 22, it's NHL or SHL for him so I don't expect him to come over next season though I would like to have him in the AHL.
I thought I heard somewhere that Havelid’s contract is up after this season so even though he is not 22 he can come over. But I’m not an expert.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I thought I heard somewhere that Havelid’s contract is up after this season so even though he is not 22 he can come over. But I’m not an expert.
This was also my interpretation - a player without an SHL contract is a free agent and can play in the AHL.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I haven't read anything that specifically rules that out but it feels like the agreement between the two league has wanted to keep talent that isn't making the NHL in the SHL and he would fall into that age range. But contract status in Sweden may matter here. I just don't see why Havelid wouldn't have a team in Sweden at the ready if he's not going to play in the NHL.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Article i read stated that anyone 24 and under can't play in the AHL, it is NHL or SHL.

"The SHL has a similar agreement, which was amended in 2022 and extended for eight more seasons.

If a player is under 24 years old and drafted from the SHL in the second round or later, and they aren’t on the NHL roster, they are to be returned to the SHL and not the AHL. The SHL team could decline the return of that player, but that will rarely happen.

It used to be a role that applied to players 22 and younger, but was moved up to 24 in that aforementioned 2022 extension. Players drafted in the 2022 draft and earlier are grandfathered in still at the 22-year-old rule.

For example, Oskar Bäck was drafted in the third-round by the Dallas Stars in 2018. He didn’t come over to the AHL until his 22-year-old season.

This season the Detroit Red Wings drafted Noah Dower-Nilsson out of Sweden in the third round. Until he is 24 it will effectively be SHL or NHL, he won’t be able to play for the Grand Rapid Griffins in the AHL without the blessing of Frolunda.

This is where it’s important to remember that this only applies to players drafted in the second round or later. For example, Axel Sandin-Pellika is tearing up the SHL as a teenager right now. If Detroit wanted, he could play in the AHL next season because of his first-round status."

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I haven't read anything that specifically rules that out but it feels like the agreement between the two league has wanted to keep talent that isn't making the NHL in the SHL and he would fall into that age range. But contract status in Sweden may matter here. I just don't see why Havelid wouldn't have a team in Sweden at the ready if he's not going to play in the NHL.

If he wants to play in the NHL and Grier signs him to a two way contract… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Article i read stated that anyone 24 and under can't play in the AHL, it is NHL or SHL.

"The SHL has a similar agreement, which was amended in 2022 and extended for eight more seasons.

If a player is under 24 years old and drafted from the SHL in the second round or later, and they aren’t on the NHL roster, they are to be returned to the SHL and not the AHL. The SHL team could decline the return of that player, but that will rarely happen.

It used to be a role that applied to players 22 and younger, but was moved up to 24 in that aforementioned 2022 extension. Players drafted in the 2022 draft and earlier are grandfathered in still at the 22-year-old rule.

For example, Oskar Bäck was drafted in the third-round by the Dallas Stars in 2018. He didn’t come over to the AHL until his 22-year-old season.

This season the Detroit Red Wings drafted Noah Dower-Nilsson out of Sweden in the third round. Until he is 24 it will effectively be SHL or NHL, he won’t be able to play for the Grand Rapid Griffins in the AHL without the blessing of Frolunda.

This is where it’s important to remember that this only applies to players drafted in the second round or later. For example, Axel Sandin-Pellika is tearing up the SHL as a teenager right now. If Detroit wanted, he could play in the AHL next season because of his first-round status."
Oh, there you have it. Well, I’d love to see Bystedt in the AHL anyway. Edstrom too, but guessing he’ll go back for another year.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

Yeah but if he doesn’t have a SHL contract what stops him from playing in the AHL. I don’t think they are drafted in the SHL and teams hold their rights.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah but if he doesn’t have a SHL contract what stops him from playing in the AHL. I don’t think they are drafted in the SHL and teams hold their rights.
The transfer agreement because chances are they don't need to have a contract for the team to hold their rights for this sort of purpose.

• Wow

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The transfer agreement because chances are they don't need to have a contract for the team to hold their rights for this sort of purpose.
are we implying the SHL can stop a player from playing in another league even if they arent under contract with any team in the SHL? Im not sure european law would even allow that agreement.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
are we implying the SHL can stop a player from playing in another league even if they arent under contract with any team in the SHL? Im not sure european law would even allow that agreement.
It would be the same thing as an NHL team owning the rights to a player even though he is technically not signed to an NHL contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Stop them? No but violating such an agreement will still have consequences and I really doubt that kids at this age w/o a contract don't still fall under the league agreements. Besides, why would anybody 24 or younger from Sweden not sign a contract with their team just to cover their bases if going to North America falls apart for any sort of reason? That's a big reason why this sort of agreement is here in the first place. Most of these kids are going to make more money staying home than playing in the AHL.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Stop them? No but violating such an agreement will still have consequences and I really doubt that kids at this age w/o a contract don't still fall under the league agreements. Besides, why would anybody 24 or younger from Sweden not sign a contract with their team just to cover their bases if going to North America falls apart for any sort of reason? That's a big reason why this sort of agreement is here in the first place. Most of these kids are going to make more money staying home than playing in the AHL.
Once again, Bystedt is signed with the Sharks and loaned to SHL just like Eklund was. The Sharks could send him to the AHL just like they sent Eklund.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Once again, Bystedt is signed with the Sharks and loaned to SHL just like Eklund was. The Sharks could send him to the AHL just like they sent Eklund.
That’s is true for Bystedt because 1st round picks are exempt from the transfer agreement.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Here's a look at our U23 players.

LW: Eklund, Musty, Bordeleau, Guschin
C: Smith, Edstrom, Bystedt, Lund,
RW: Haltunen, Cardwell, Wiesblatt, Robins, Coe
LD: Muhkamaduklin, Cagnoni, Furlong, Guryev
RD: Havelid, Thompson, Laroque, Pohlkamp

That's a pretty solid group. Add in hopefully 4 top 45 picks this year and it's looking really promising. The bolded alone have only been acquired since Grier was hired.

Even if the draft stays according to tankathon, we could be adding Celebrini & Parekh like talents to that.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Here's a look at our U23 players.

LW: Eklund, Musty, Bordeleau, Guschin
C: Smith, Edstrom, Bystedt, Lund,
RW: Haltunen, Cardwell, Wiesblatt, Robins, Coe
LD: Muhkamaduklin, Cagnoni, Furlong, Guryev
RD: Havelid, Thompson, Laroque, Pohlkamp

That's a pretty solid group. Add in hopefully 4 top 45 picks this year and it's looking really promising. The bolded alone have only been acquired since Grier was hired.

Even if the draft stays according to tankathon, we could be adding Celebrini & Parekh like talents to that.

Definitely light on RW, top 2 D (of which we have none unless things go VERY right for Muhk) and I wouldn’t hate another top 6 center.

But yeah, ideally, the next two drafts fill those gaps/some of these guys will be traded to fill the holes.

We’re seemingly in a great place.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would not mind dumping some of our defensemen and letting Thompson and Muhk play with the Sharks next year.
There's a lot of variables at play there given who we have under contract, who we have as RFA's, and who is pretty much untradeable out of that group. I think if Muk and Thompson are playing on the Sharks next year, they're on different pairings with veterans at their hip. Then we'd have to figure out who is eating the tough minutes getting clobbered ahead of them.

Ferraro-Benning
Muk-Rutta
Vlasic-Thompson

That can work as pairings even though they're going to get rocked a lot. But it also means that guys like Addison, Emberson, and Thrun are the odd men out. And while I know Thrun has been struggling to get it done at the NHL level this year, I think he has it in him to at least be a solid depth defenseman with some experience and Emberson has been pretty solid every time he's been in the lineup. Addison I can take or leave but if he ever found consistency in his offensive game, there would be a useful player there considering all our defensemen have been average at best with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad