Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I was really positively surprised by the overall quality of BC vs. BU
Also really helpful to see Macklin and Hutson vs the BC boys to get a level set. Macklin just has such a high % of making the right play, he's dangerous in so many ways, and he plays hard and a little nasty. Definitely popped on screen even in a "bad effort." Hutson meanwhile looked incredible on the puck but did get bullied numerous times by bigger forwards, highlighting his exact weakness for stepping to the next level. Gauthier looked solid in trying to contain Macklin and the freshman line looked extremely dangerous especially on the PP.

This is why the NCAA tourney is a gift, especially for picks 2-4... We can see prospect on prospect to get a better eval of Levshunov and Buium in particular. And we can see if Smith et al can keep coming up big in bigger and bigger games.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was really positively surprised by the overall quality of BC vs. BU
Totally. I’ve watched nearly every BC game this year plus some sporadic BU/Denver/Michigan State games and they’re genuinely fun and entertaining to watch. Whereas when I try and watch CHL games, I can almost never get through a whole game because they’re such bad quality outside of the one prospect I watched for.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I was a big fan of Bordeleau early on and then sort of lost hope for him. It’s really nice to see him succeeding. I’m still curious what his ceiling is — but certainly, if he keeps it up, I think he can be a top 6 winger.
Don't know what happened with him but he seems to be a much more cerebral player in that he's showing a much better hockey sense without the puck. He used to be absolutely lost without the puck on his stick, but now he just instinctively knows where to go (not always, but infinitely greater than late last year and earlier this season).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Don't know what happened with him but he seems to be a much more cerebral player in that he's showing a much better hockey sense without the puck. He used to be absolutely lost without the puck on his stick, but now he just instinctively knows where to go (not always, but infinitely greater than late last year and earlier this season).

As much as I think McCarthy might be a bad coach, it’s a good sign that Eklund, Bordeleau, Guschin and Muhk all has significant growth under him. Could be the players but obviously there’s some good teaching happening.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
As much as I think McCarthy might be a bad coach, it’s a good sign that Eklund, Bordeleau, Guschin and Muhk all has significant growth under him. Could be the players but obviously there’s some good teaching happening.
I'm not going to give Coach any credit. Eklund was already drafted for his smarts so it's not that surprising. Shakir was already playing at a high level in NJ and Bordeleau spent enough time at Michigan, playing in an elite system and he just needed everything to click. Gush was also a second rounder, as much praise as we give him for his season did actually take a real step back in terms of scoring.

My point is McCarthy needs to f***ing go. If we're this hellbent on rebuilding and developing kids, then put a goddamn real coaching staff on the Cuda. Keep Mass because I think he's done a good job with the defense corp there.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Totally. I’ve watched nearly every BC game this year plus some sporadic BU/Denver/Michigan State games and they’re genuinely fun and entertaining to watch. Whereas when I try and watch CHL games, I can almost never get through a whole game because they’re such bad quality outside of the one prospect I watched for.
Nowadays, I don't see any legit argument for CHL > NCAA hockey. The quality is just on another level now vs 5 years ago.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I'm not going to give Coach any credit. Eklund was already drafted for his smarts so it's not that surprising. Shakir was already playing at a high level in NJ and Bordeleau spent enough time at Michigan, playing in an elite system and he just needed everything to click. Gush was also a second rounder, as much praise as we give him for his season did actually take a real step back in terms of scoring.

My point is McCarthy needs to f***ing go. If we're this hellbent on rebuilding and developing kids, then put a goddamn real coaching staff on the Cuda. Keep Mass because I think he's done a good job with the defense corp there.
Not to nitpick but Goose was a third round pick.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
OHL players with higher PPG than Musty in their D+1 season since 2010: Sam Bennett, Mitch Marner, Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Strome and Connor McMichael.

McDavid, Rossi and Marner cleared Musty in their draft years.

But a bit of a cautionary tale might be Taylor Raddysh whose D+1 production was just shy of Musty's (1.88 PPG vs. 1.92) but hasn't turned into much in the NHL. Similar size too.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
OHL players with higher PPG than Musty in their D+1 season since 2010: Sam Bennett, Mitch Marner, Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Strome and Connor McMichael.

McDavid, Rossi and Marner cleared Musty in their draft years.

But a bit of a cautionary tale might be Taylor Raddysh whose D+1 production was just shy of Musty's (1.88 PPG vs. 1.92) but hasn't turned into much in the NHL. Similar size too.
Thought Dvorak did too but that was his D+2 season I guess.

Definitely not a bad list all things considered. And Musty did it without turning 19 until July, and not having a guaranteed superstar on his line even though Goyette is pretty good and he shared the PP with Dvorsky.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I just noticed something, someone that follows the wolves more, why did musty lose his A? He was an assistant last year and then this year he isn't according to elite prospects

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Let's not forget that our top 10 prospects the day before Grier took over were something like Eklund, Bordeleau, Gushchin, Merkley, Kniazev, Coe, Wiesblatt, Laroque, Hatakka and Gaudreau. To upgrade from that to Smith, Musty, Shak, Edstrom, Bystedt, Thrun, Halttunen, Lund, Cagnoni and Havelid in less than 2 years is a miracle. We've moved from "most of these guys are magic beans" territory to "there are legit prospects like Furlong, Thompson and Cardwell I had to leave off the list."

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Let's not forget that our top 10 prospects the day before Grier took over were something like Eklund, Bordeleau, Gushchin, Merkley, Kniazev, Coe, Wiesblatt, Laroque, Hatakka and Gaudreau. To upgrade from that to Smith, Musty, Shak, Edstrom, Bystedt, Thrun, Halttunen, Lund, Cagnoni and Havelid in less than 2 years is a miracle. We've moved from "most of these guys are magic beans" territory to "there are legit prospects like Furlong, Thompson and Cardwell I had to leave off the list."
Remember after the Hertl extension when Joe Will explained the decision to extend Hertl rather than trade him by talking about how they expected a 19 year old Eklund, a 20 year old Bordeleau, and Dahlen to help them be a playoff team next season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad