Sharks Olympians 2014: Marleau/Vlasic-Canada, Niemi-Finland, Pavelski-USA

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Highly doubt Pavs centers the top line, but it would be nice to see.

I am doubtful but not as much. Last time, it was Kesler and Stastny for the top two lines. Both of them have fallen off. Backes and Oshie can also center although I suspect Oshie will be on the wing. Close call. It might be that Pavs is third line but runs the first unit PP. Besides that, they have two of the best playmaking wings in the league between Kane and Parise. The centers don't really have to be playmakers.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Both Kesler & Stastny are playing fine this season, and Stastny has an excellent history internationally and more experience playing with Kane & Parise from last time. I would expect him to center the top line.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
NHL.com thinks Couture is a lock. I kinda think he's damn close to that too now...
Also on Pickles' increasing chances.

Logan Couture, Canada
Couture entered the season high on Canada's list, but not a lock to be on the team. He should be now. Couture has 14 points in 13 games. The only Canadian forwards who have more points are Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos, and they're obviously locks for the Olympic team. In 5-on-5 situations, Couture has been on the ice for eight goals for and only two against, according to stats compiled by ExtraSkater.com. He's been as effective in the defensive zone as he has been in the offensive zone. He's also winning better than 52 percent of his faceoffs.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Canada
San Jose Sharks assistant coach Larry Robinson vouched for Vlasic in an interview with NHL.com and he made a lot of sense. Robinson said on the larger international ice a team wants players who can move the puck and skate and defend well. Vlasic has all of those qualities. Robinson pointed out Vlasic is a strong one-on-one defender and is excellent at using his stick or his body to break up a play. His skating and stick skills allow him to turn a strong defensive play into a quick offensive chance through transition. He has nine points and is a plus-11 this season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=688915&navid=nhl:topheads

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I would think Toews is a lock too. Still hard to say about Couture considering Canada's C depth, maybe if he switched to left (makes me think Marleau has a good chance too even though he wasn't invited to camp).

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I would think Toews is a lock too. Still hard to say about Couture considering Canada's C depth, maybe if he switched to left (makes me think Marleau has a good chance too even though he wasn't invited to camp).
Nash is probably knocked out and E. Staal isn't doing so well. E. Staal was slated for top line LW with Crosby at center. I really think they will use Couture on LW. I have a sneaking suspicion that they will combine Tavares and Couture as they did in the ASG. Use Tavares as the offensive zone center while using Couture to center the d zone. I also think that the LW issue will put Marleau squarely in the mix. IMO, the center slots will line up as Crosby-Stamkos-Bergeron/Toews-Tavares.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Nash is probably knocked out and E. Staal isn't doing so well. E. Staal was slated for top line LW with Crosby at center. I really think they will use Couture on LW. I have a sneaking suspicion that they will combine Tavares and Couture as they did in the ASG. Use Tavares as the offensive zone center while using Couture to center the d zone. I also think that the LW issue will put Marleau squarely in the mix. IMO, the center slots will line up as Crosby-Stamkos-Bergeron/Toews-Tavares.

This perhaps? :sarcasm:

tumblr_ms5g7lYzb21sf5kxoo1_500.png

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I suspect Ryan Miller will start given what he did last time, but you can't really go wrong with any of our top 3 or 4 options.

Miller to start in the Olympics? I'd have Howard, Quick and Anderson (in no order) ahead of him. I think Miller is one of the most overrated players in the league. I mean, he's played on some bad teams, but he's only had that one good season.

hateseed

TentacleGrapeSoda
Aug 3, 2011
Coastal California
I agree, I would go Howard or Quick honestly. Despite hating them both with a passion. The trouble with both those guys is they both either vastly over perform or slightly under perform for games at a time. When they hit stride they are scary-good.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I sure hope Team USA's brass doesn't have Quick as their unquestioned starter.

Jimmy Howard is my guy. I like Schneider too, although I bet he isn't considered because Devils.

I have absolutely no doubt Couture will be on the LW. Wouldn't doubt your Tavares idea.

I'm biased, but I want Marleau on the team so Babcock can continue to fawn over him. :D Marleau-Bergeron-Toews? Holy shutdown monster.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Jimmy Howard is my guy. I like Schneider too, although I bet he isn't considered because Devils.

I have absolutely no doubt Couture will be on the LW. Wouldn't doubt your Tavares idea.

I'm biased, but I want Marleau on the team so Babcock can continue to fawn over him. :D Marleau-Bergeron-Toews? Holy shutdown monster.
I figure Howard is ahead of Quick in a battle for 1 and 2. Schneider, Miller and Anderson battle for the last spot. Anderson's stock is falling.

On the Canadian centers, I figure Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Bergeron and Tavares. One of Stamkos or Bergeron will play RW for 5on5. Bergeron is a lock for #1 PK center. If Babcock wants defensive, the stock for Marleau, Marchand and M. Richards goes way up. I do think he is going defensive especially with Hitch in the coaching mix.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I am not a fan of Howard at all, I think he's an above average goalie on a good team. He's one of those guys who is capable of having great games, like Nabby actually. Tremendous skill, huge mental lapses.

Quick would be my starter if he's healthy, I think his health is his biggest issue, but when he's on there is no one better.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Unfortunately, it doesn't really seem like any of the US options at goal are stepping up their game to seize the job.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
I don't see anyway a Shark isn't on team Canada with this start,. Don't care so much if Couture makes it, but Vlasic making the team would be huge for him I reckon. I think he would learn a lot, and I'd love to see Burns on the team as well.
At this point Jumbo and Boyle are probably the longest shots to make the team, and that's probably for the better of the team anyway.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Because of one goal? If anything, our lasting image of Miller in the Olympics should be how fantastic he was.

Seriously. Miller was the reason we even got to the medal round. Miller was awesome.

That's not to say that I want him starting in Sochi, but to say he was anything but incredible in Vancouver is revisionist history.

As for Quick, I think he's a total headcase. He's not someone I want in an elimination game.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Seriously. Miller was the reason we even got to the medal round. Miller was awesome.

That's not to say that I want him starting in Sochi, but to say he was anything but incredible in Vancouver is revisionist history.

As for Quick, I think he's a total headcase. He's not someone I want in an elimination game.

Millers 1 mistake all tournament long just happened to come at the wrong possible time, with the wrong person with the puck on his stick.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Yay Pickles.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Marc-Edouard Vlasic scored his third goal of the season Wednesday night for his Sharks in the overtime loss in Los Angeles (which was a fantastic game, by the way) and while his game is not about offense, it's another reminder of his rising Olympic stock. He has really opened some eyes on Team Canada's management staff. With the left side of the defense wide open after Duncan Keith and Jay Bouwmeester, Canada is looking at several options, and Vlasic has pushed himself above the fray with his solid play. He plays a quiet, steady, mistake-free game, which is exactly what Team Canada might look for on a team that will have a bevy of explosive, high-end offensive defensemen, especially on the right side. If Team Canada was naming its team today, Vlasic would be on it.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada

You guys deserved to win. The whole team was just a force, and I believe your team is a lot better now. Wouldn't be surprised if you guys steamrolled us this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad