Sharks News/Notes #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Hooray!!! It's official: The rebuild is over!!! We're Cup contenders again!!!!!

I'm so happy after all these month and month of suffering!!!

TMac at NHL.com: "We feel the players that are with our organization are part of the solution and not the problem now... I think a lot of people, especially in the media, immediately went to, 'Well, they're going to trade Thornton and Marleau.' That's not the case..."

And:

"Well, you know what, when I hear the term 'rebuild' in the non-hockey world if you will, I think of something that gets torn down and you start rebuilding. I guess there's so many different terminologies that can be used for it. We have a plan. We know what we want to do. And we know who we want to be a part of it. As our team sits right now we'll probably head into training camp and continue working on what that plan is."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728152

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
What a bunch of crap.

Bingo.

They're realizing what a cluster-**** all of this has been and now they're trying to save face. 2014 has been a rough year to be a fan of this team, on so many levels ...

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Bingo.

They're realizing what a cluster-**** all of this has been and now they're trying to save face. 2014 has been a rough year to be a fan of this team, on so many levels ...

and I suspect it's going to continue to be a really rough year.

I don't feel like this team is even close to being a cup contender, and they've also made zero progress on rebuilding. Wasted season here we come.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Everyone knows right that since this off season has been a cluster ******, and we're expecting the worse, we're actually gonna turn it around and win it all?

JodyShelleysNo1Fan

Feb 22, 2007
"We feel the players that are with our organization are part of the solution and not the problem now"

So they were the problem before but are now suddenly part of the solution? I just don't get it, like everything else they have done/said so far this off-season. I couldn't be any less excited for this season to start.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They should just tell the truth and say Wilson overreacted after game 7 and said stupid ****.

No one outside this org thinks or thought this team ever needed to rebuild. All they needed to do was upgrade certain spots and our gm was too stubborn to do so.

This season isn't lost. Those thinking so are hilarious. This team is a playoff team, as is. If Wilson does nothing to upgrade the left side of the d between now and the deadline, then it's likely a wasted season.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This team is a playoff team, as is. If Wilson does nothing to upgrade the left side of the d between now and the deadline, then it's likely a wasted season.

That is not saying much as more than half the teams in the Western Conference make the playoffs. Teams that exit in the first round are not really playoff teams due to the significant percentage of participants.

It would probably more appropriate to look at NHL as four parts:

1- Season #1
2- Season #2 (first round of the "playoffs")
3- The Playoffs (second round and higher excluding the cup finals)
4- Cup Finals

I do agree with your second statement above and find it frustrating that DW had to know about the defensive situation in the last off-season and up to the trade deadline of last year. He did nothing but basically stating the same that TMac is quoted on above.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You all realize the Sharks are making the finals this year, right?

They're not even getting out of the first round...again. The only way they might get out is if the fall to the crossover wild card spot which is a longshot since after the big three in the Pacific, everyone else just isn't close to their level.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They should just tell the truth and say Wilson overreacted after game 7 and said stupid ****.

No one outside this org thinks or thought this team ever needed to rebuild. All they needed to do was upgrade certain spots and our gm was too stubborn to do so.

This season isn't lost. Those thinking so are hilarious. This team is a playoff team, as is. If Wilson does nothing to upgrade the left side of the d between now and the deadline, then it's likely a wasted season.

He's done nothing to upgrade it the last five years. I'm in don't believe it until I see it mode for that one.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That is not saying much as more than half the teams in the Western Conference make the playoffs. Teams that exit in the first round are not really playoff teams due to the significant percentage of participants.

It would probably more appropriate to look at NHL as four parts:

1- Season #1
2- Season #2 (first round of the "playoffs")
3- The Playoffs (second round and higher excluding the cup finals)
4- Cup Finals

I do agree with your second statement above and find it frustrating that DW had to know about the defensive situation in the last off-season and up to the trade deadline of last year. He did nothing but basically stating the same that TMac is quoted on above.
This team is in position to get there, though, and you can't say that about quite a few teams. As it is now, this team isn't a contender, but they aren't that far off. Hopefully this is Wilson's way of saying he was wrong and he eventually tries to make this current team better, without doing so at the expense of the future.

Imo, this season will only be wasted if the org lets it.
He's done nothing to upgrade it the last five years. I'm in don't believe it until I see it mode for that one.
True.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He's up to 210 now huh? Granted, I imagine like most hockey players, the guy has legs like tree trunks, but his upper-body doesn't look NHL ready at all.

In fairness, Vlasic didn't for his first two or three years.

I could believe it. He actually looks pretty thick in consideration to last year. Also he's got a gigantic head and slender shoulders which just makes him look funky. Last year's draft picture, he had a skinny neck and now it's not so skinny.

Edit: Looking at some of his instagram stuff,the guy looks like a tree trunk.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This team is in position to get there, though, and you can't say that about quite a few teams. As it is now, this team isn't a contender, but they aren't that far off. Hopefully this is Wilson's way of saying he was wrong and he eventually tries to make this current team better, without doing so at the expense of the future.

Imo, this season will only be wasted if the org lets it.
True.

I guess it depends on what "get there" is. If it is the finals, then I'd say it is too far of a long shot without attention on the goalie situation and the defense. If it is the conference finals, then yeah, the Sharks have a shot if things come together and DW makes the necessary trades prior to the deadline.

One can make the statement of the Sharks being legitimate playoff contender last season since they were not a wild-card team. However, if majority does not make the playoffs, would the Kings use the same strategy? Or would the Kings bump the Sharks out of the playoffs as the season concludes?

The situation that Wilson has reminded me of Don Coryell, head coach of the Chargers. Don invested heavily on the offense and seemed to hope the defense will come along for the ride. Never happened as the Chargers never won the Superbowl and many credited that as the reason why he is not in the NFL coach hall of fame.

Air Wilson, anyone? God, I hope not. The Chargers were a big tease to the fans in terms of hope for a championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad