Post-Game Talk: Sharks lose Game 6...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hmm. Not sure if that's bad or just par for the course for a 3rd D pairing.

It's bad when you consider that no other Sharks (not even the bottom six) were minuses in the POs. That's actually pretty difficult to pull off. :laugh:

Polak being -3 in six games is bad statistically but it's not really saying much on its own. For what the pairing's expectations were, they did fine the first three series. Yeah, they were still in the minus but that wasn't really their goal. I mean, we all know we're not going to get offensive production out of a Dillon-Polak pairing. Their goal was just to not give up too much and they didn't until the Finals. The team can do better for a bottom pairing especially if they bring in a confident PMD that maybe has some offensive instinct.

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
I would advise people stay away from the main boards right now. There is a serious amount of idiocy. "Did sharks fans boo Bettman too much?". Lord grant me strength...

Powinkle

Mar 25, 2016
Chico
Bummed we didn't win it all (obviously) but, that was the best Sharks team ever and they had a great season that was fun to watch. Donskoi and Jones can stay.

jakeytown

Aug 10, 2011
El Paso TX
Still super bummed, but Jones made me a believer. So him and Donskoi are my silver lining. I don't think we will get back to the finals with jumbo and patty which is heartbreaking for me.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Polak being -3 in six games is bad statistically but it's not really saying much on its own. For what the pairing's expectations were, they did fine the first three series. Yeah, they were still in the minus but that wasn't really their goal. I mean, we all know we're not going to get offensive production out of a Dillon-Polak pairing. Their goal was just to not give up too much and they didn't until the Finals. The team can do better for a bottom pairing especially if they bring in a confident PMD that maybe has some offensive instinct.

Honestly, they were lucky they didn't give up more. All throughout the POs, they displayed little-to-no ability to get the puck out of their own zone without either losing possession or icing it. It wasn't until the SCF that they ran into a fast, deep forward group, who they couldn't be sheltered against, and who was able to take advantage of many of their mistakes.

Still super bummed, but Jones made me a believer. So him and Donskoi are my silver lining. I don't think we will get back to the finals with jumbo and patty which is heartbreaking for me.

Add Couture, Vlasic, Braun, and Hertl to that list. The future is brighter than a lot of people are willing to admit.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly, they were lucky they didn't give up more. All throughout the POs, they displayed little-to-no ability to get the puck out of their own zone without either losing possession or icing it. It wasn't until the SCF that they ran into a fast, deep forward group, who they couldn't be sheltered against, and who was able to take advantage of many of their mistakes.

With that pairing, it was just don't get the team hemmed in and we'll be fine. They didn't really in the first three series. They had spots where they did but it wasn't anywhere near as consistent as it was against the Pens and that was one of the biggest reasons why they lost. And I think DeBoer needed to do a better job with the pairings and their usage to protect the team. It may not have changed the result but I don't think he did enough to at least try from a coaching perspective.

jakeytown

Aug 10, 2011
El Paso TX

Add Couture, Vlasic, Braun, and Hertl to that list. The future is brighter than a lot of people are willing to admit.

They are well known to us. I meant the emergence of Jones and Donskoi :) I was a jones hater all year, but yeah I see what everyone else saw now!

xanjosesharks

May 8, 2016
Fittingly to my username, I was so barred out watching the last 7 minutes of this game. Remember going to the couch at 445 for start then dozing until late in the 3rd. Im so mad at myself lol

Powinkle

Mar 25, 2016
Chico
I guess I can just find solace in the fact that there is no way that Penguins team is going to be able to afford keeping itself together.

jakeytown

Aug 10, 2011
El Paso TX
I guess I can just find solace in the fact that there is no way that Penguins team is going to be able to afford keeping itself together.

Didnt they do the ol Chicago special? LTIR salary before the deadline, pickup big players, then everyone is healthy for the start of playoffs? I am probably wrong

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Didnt they do the ol Chicago special? LTIR salary before the deadline, pickup big players, then everyone is healthy for the start of playoffs? I am probably wrong

They used about 2.3 mil in LTIR that came pretty much from Pascal Dupuis and his blood clots that has him effectively retired.

The Pens will have to make some moves since they only have 14 forwards, 6 d-men, and two goalies signed at about 74 mil cap hit. Lovejoy and Cullen are UFA. Bennett and Schultz are RFA.

They're going to need to find a way to get rid of Marc-Andre Fleury at the very least and maybe Eric Fehr or Pascal Dupuis to a team like the Devils or Coyotes too. The latter is a little more likely.

Last edited:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Anyone else get emotional last night? Seeing it end crushed me. The look on pinkFloyd's face before the handshakes. No other loss hurt as much, but I am proud of the team still

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Anyone else get emotional last night? Seeing it end crushed me. The look on pinkFloyd's face before the handshakes. No other loss hurt as much, but I am proud of the team still

I got a little relieved that it was finally over. The Stanley Cup playoffs are long. Sharks gave it a great effort but lost to a better team. I'm now looking forward to next season.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
With that pairing, it was just don't get the team hemmed in and we'll be fine. They didn't really in the first three series. They had spots where they did but it wasn't anywhere near as consistent as it was against the Pens and that was one of the biggest reasons why they lost. And I think DeBoer needed to do a better job with the pairings and their usage to protect the team. It may not have changed the result but I don't think he did enough to at least try from a coaching perspective.

What made it even more odd was that DeBoer began to limit their minutes towards the end of the Blues series, only to increase them again against a better offensive team. It was bizarre to say the least, and one of DeBoer's few strategic blunders this postseason.

They are well known to us. I meant the emergence of Jones and Donskoi :) I was a jones hater all year, but yeah I see what everyone else saw now!

Ahhh, gotcha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad